Speculation: Expansion Draft - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think Vegas will start the season with Miller (UFA) and Grubauer as their keepers and trade the other two they select in the XD. I'm assuming that Vcr doesn't have anything else worth claiming in the XD and that LV meets Miller's spousal requirements suitably.

I wonder if the Jets could be proactive and trade for Grubauer AND Raanta with conditional consideration (and an exposable Hutch if required) and expose both of them to LV. (Only a late round pick going to former team if keeper gets claimed.) This would provide protection for our exposed skaters too. Risk is we're stuck with three keepers and lose a Myers/Dano.

there is no scenario where myers will be left unprotected.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Sure there is. Is it likely? No. But: there is a scenario where he'd be left unprotected.

really. what is it. least of which and I do mean least of, even if trouba agreed to extension he couldn't sign it till a week after xd. I wouldn't trust his agent to keep his word and not exploit the situation. but even then a 29 year old top 4 rd being paid 3.5 mill and 3 mill for 2 years gets you a lot on the open market.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
really. what is it. least of which and I do mean least of, even if trouba agreed to extension he couldn't sign it till a week after xd. I wouldn't trust his agent to keep his word and not exploit the situation. but even then a 29 year old top 4 rd being paid 3.5 mill and 3 mill for 2 years gets you a lot on the open market.

Jets could leave Myers unprotected due to injury concerns. Wasn't he going to get in a couple of games at the end of the season? Wasn't he going to go to the Worlds? What happened to that? Not to mention the continually moving goalposts for his return from December - April. What's the over/under on GP for him next season?

It's unlikely - unless the Jets' doctors really think he may never play a significant number of games again. Grant Clitsome 2.0.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Jets could leave Myers unprotected due to injury concerns. Wasn't he going to get in a couple of games at the end of the season? Wasn't he going to go to the Worlds? What happened to that? Not to mention the continually moving goalposts for his return from December - April. What's the over/under on GP for him next season?

It's unlikely - unless the Jets' doctors really think he may never play a significant number of games again. Grant Clitsome 2.0.

if its not career threatening then no matter the concerns they protect him if it is career threatening they probably cant expose him anyway.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
if its not career threatening then no matter the concerns they protect him if it is career threatening they probably cant expose him anyway.

They can because Myers wasn't on the injury exzemption list that the NIL releases not that long ago.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

You're describing why they probably won't do it. But there are scenarios where he'd be left unprotected - he does not have a NMC or NTC, so they could, if they wanted to.

So yes, there is a scenario where he'd be left unprotected. Unlikely, but possible.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
You're describing why they probably won't do it. But there are scenarios where he'd be left unprotected - he does not have a NMC or NTC, so they could, if they wanted to.

So yes, there is a scenario where he'd be left unprotected. Unlikely, but possible.

he has about as much chance as scheifele at being left unprotected. so yes there is a scenario.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
he has about as much chance as scheifele at being left unprotected.

I'm not arguing that.

so yes there is a scenario.

Yes, this is correct use of the term "scenario". Just because something is highly unlikely, does not mean that there is NOT a scenario where he could be left unprotected - I only took issue with the "there's no scenario" proclamation.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What about a deal with Vegas where they take Stu...2.625 AAV and a 1.75 actual salary. He clears waivers and plays for Chicago Wolves and mentors their youth. I think we have some players that can fill in on the left side before Stu would be called up anyway.

The question is, what would we have to add?
Petan + ?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
What about a deal with Vegas where they take Stu...2.625 AAV and a 1.75 actual salary. He clears waivers and plays for Chicago Wolves and mentors their youth. I think we have some players that can fill in on the left side before Stu would be called up anyway.

Petan + ?

I see no incentive for Vegas to take Stu over Lowry, unless we're adding something like a 2nd round pick in 2018.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not arguing that.

Yes, this is correct use of the term "scenario". Just because something is highly unlikely, does not mean that there is NOT a scenario where he could be left unprotected - I only took issue with the "there's no scenario" proclamation.

Totally agree. I don't see Myers being exposed as things stand, but a scenario could develop where this would be considered.

That said there are many fans that totally disagree with us on this topic.:help:

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Petan + ?

The Wolves are team committed to being Calder Cup winners every season. They don't need to be saddled with Stu. The Wolves have a current roster of 31, many veterans that can serve as mentors. All Stu can teach is how to lead the league in unpenalized cross checks. He's certainly very talented in beating the **** of people with the refs looking the other way.

I'm not sure why you want to trade Stu anyways. Toss him on the Moose. Problem solved. We're not up against the cap ceiling.

Suggesting Petan+....

Horrible idea.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Wolves are team committed to being Calder Cup winners every season. They don't need to be saddled with Stu. The Wolves have a current roster of 31, many veterans that can serve as mentors. All Stu can teach is how to lead the league in unpenalized cross checks. He's certainly very talented in beating the **** of people with the refs looking the other way.

I'm not sure why you want to trade Stu anyways. Toss him on the Moose. Problem solved. We're not up against the cap ceiling.

Suggesting Petan+....

Horrible idea.

Losing Stu is a good thing ... Petan plus a 3rd? is a bargain.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I guess this would depend on how they viewed Petan. If they believed he could still develop into a solid middle 6 then maybe they do it. I think Petan and the 3rd without Stu would have more value.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why the heck so we need Stu gone anyhow. His contract is up in a year and he can be buried on the Moose if need be. It would cost way more than it's worth to get Vegas to take him.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
What pick would you all give Vegas for them to flip back whatever player they take? Would you be willing to give our first? Our second? ie Vegas selects players X then trades him back to the Jets for pick Y.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
What pick would you all give Vegas for them to flip back whatever player they take? Would you be willing to give our first? Our second? ie Vegas selects players X then trades him back to the Jets for pick Y.

Any players picked by Vegas cannot be traded back to their former team before January 1, 2018, and any player picked in the expansion draft cannot have their contracts bought out until after the completion of the 2017–18 season. These rules were imposed to prevent existing teams coming to deals with the expansion team to take on sub-optimal contracts for their mutual benefit.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

why would they pay stu millions to be a mentor when they can pay a ahl lifer 70 grand to do the same. not they would ever do either. also petan has no value.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
why would they pay stu millions to be a mentor when they can pay a ahl lifer 70 grand to do the same. not they would ever do either. also petan has no value.

AHL "lifers" make a heck of a lot more than $70k. Only playerson ELC are limited to $70k

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Still think buying out Enstrom (at cost of $1.5 mill/year for 2 years plus a $1.1 mill signing bonus for 2017/18) before the XD, then acquiring a LH dman with our #13 pick at draft is the best move.

If #13 + could get us Ryan Murray, IMO, we get younger and better in the near future.

Allows a 7-3-1 XD protection strategy, to keep all but one of Lowry, Perreault, Copp, Dano and Armia.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
lol.

Yes having Stuart paid $2,625,000 to play for the Moose for 1 season is worse than loosing Petan for his career. :help::shakehead

That's the first time I've ever used two Smilies back to back.

You know its absurd when...:amazed::help:

Stu will never be paid $2.625M for one season ever again. Next season his salary is $1.75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad