Speculation: Expansion Draft - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
enstrom will be exposed. enstrom will not be taken by vegas with only 1 year left on contract and 6 mill with all the better cheaper options available to them. enstrom plays out last year and then says goodbye after we use him as a rental and make the playoffs next year.

Why as a player would I negotiate a NMC, which presumably has a monetary value in contract negotiations, only to waive it .... Just because? There's no logical reason to it, unless I really do wish to play in Vegas.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Why as a player would I negotiate a NMC, which presumably has a monetary value in contract negotiations, only to waive it .... Just because? There's no logical reason to it, unless I really do wish to play in Vegas.

Answer: To have control of your future. Many players waive it if they think it benefits them. Will he? Who knows?

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Answer: To have control of your future. Many players waive it if they think it benefits them. Will he? Who knows?

But that's the thing. By waiving it for the XD he loses control of his destiny unless it is guaranteed Vegas drafts him, and he would only do it if he really really wants to play for Vegas. If they don't pick him then the jets hold all the cards and could deal him anywhere at any time. Makes no sense for him to agree to that.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
But that's the thing. By waiving it for the XD he loses control of his destiny unless it is guaranteed Vegas drafts him, and he would only do it if he really really wants to play for Vegas. If they don't pick him then the jets hold all the cards and could deal him anywhere at any time. Makes no sense for him to agree to that.

I dont believe thats true. The NMC stays intact I think.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The NMC waivers for all players will only apply to the XD, not for the remainder of their contracts. Nobody will sign a blanket waiver for the rest of their contract. Why would any player give up leverage like that?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
So, you lose Myers in the XD and a goalie to waivers? and you're a forward short on the list... No thanks.

Why would we lose a goalie to waivers?

Do you think Vegas has access to medical records of players available to be chosen?

I think they'd take one of the goalies.

I do need another forward to make available in the XD, which shouldn't be a huge problem.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
The NMC waivers for all players will only apply to the XD, not for the remainder of their contracts. Nobody will sign a blanket waiver for the rest of their contract. Why would any player give up leverage like that?

hmm my mistake then. i suppose that invalidates half of my reasoning but not the other.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

So if Enstrom waives his NMC just for the xD, then Vegas can't move him again? That would really reduce the likelihood that Vegas selects him.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So if Enstrom waives his NMC just for the xD, then Vegas can't move him again? That would really reduce the likelihood that Vegas selects him.

If it wasn't that way why would any player waive their NMC? It would be like voluntarily removing it from your contract.

Vegas could trade him at the dealine provided he waives his clause again. But that ensures he has to move up to three times in the next year. Why would Enstrom want that?

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
If it wasn't that way why would any player waive their NMC? It would be like voluntarily removing it from your contract.

Vegas could trade him at the dealine provided he waives his clause again. But that ensures he has to move up to three times in the next year. Why would Enstrom want that?

Only way Toby waives is if he's guaranteed to not be picked. Chevy would have a deal in place with Vegas to stay away from Toby paying them with an additional pick or prospect. Toby waives for the betterment of the team as it would allow them to go 1-3-7 and lose either Copp or Dano instead of Lowry or Perreault, (for example). I'm not sure why people don't see the benefit of this for Toby, he gets to play on a better team next year if he waives. If he doesn't waive, the Jets lose a better player than they would if he does waive, thus he'd be playing on a weaker team next year. I'm sure he'd like to play on the best team he could.

I'm saying this with the giant caveat that Chevy must have a deal with Vegas to stay away from Toby. Maybe they ship Petan to Vegas and in exchange Vegas picks Chiarot. Or something similar.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think Vegas is looking for an entry level contract from us. The strength of our team is in our prospect pool. You can not draft 30 NHL players, and establish depth. Because everyone of your players is subject to waivers claims.

They probably don't want 1 year contracts either, as their value is only in trade, down the road.

I see us making a trade with Vegas. A player like Lemieux, with good size in a big and strong division, would have value. Maybe we get our goalie for him. Pickard? Jimmy Howard? Add another prospect. Don't think Raanta will come available, suspect Nash will be taken.

But I suspect we address one of our weaknesses through the Expansion Draft, sacrificing some of our youth. If use Enstrom or Myers as assets, we can redeem other areas. Building a prospect pool is a good way to use assets, to avoid trades for picks, or overpriced UFAs.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Bit of an odd expansion draft question for our experts. This isn't my idea or suggestion but I am seeking clarification.

Overheard a conversation the other day regarding the expansion draft and what Vegas can actually take if they want. The suggestion pertained to goaltenders and they said Vegas can take up to six goaltenders if they want. That sounded kind of fishy to me though it would still leave them with 24 teams to pick D and forwards from. The conversation then suggested that Vegas was likely to do this because then they could deal quality goaltenders either for other players or picks in various years' drafts going forward. It continued merrily along with the suggestion that the Jets are working with the Knights to get them to take a goaltender they want and they'll then trade them Hutch plus to get that goaltender, whoever it may be.

On the surface it's a bit of an out there but somewhat plausible notion. I'm really not familiar with what happens in the XD from Vegas' standpoint so is this plausible, at least pertaining to the taking of six goaltenders? I suppose they could take 30 if they really wanted to but that would be the absurd end of the equation. What should Vegas be looking at doing in terms of stocking their team?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Bit of an odd expansion draft question for our experts. This isn't my idea or suggestion but I am seeking clarification.

Overheard a conversation the other day regarding the expansion draft and what Vegas can actually take if they want. The suggestion pertained to goaltenders and they said Vegas can take up to six goaltenders if they want. That sounded kind of fishy to me though it would still leave them with 24 teams to pick D and forwards from. The conversation then suggested that Vegas was likely to do this because then they could deal quality goaltenders either for other players or picks in various years' drafts going forward. It continued merrily along with the suggestion that the Jets are working with the Knights to get them to take a goaltender they want and they'll then trade them Hutch plus to get that goaltender, whoever it may be.

On the surface it's a bit of an out there but somewhat plausible notion. I'm really not familiar with what happens in the XD from Vegas' standpoint so is this plausible, at least pertaining to the taking of six goaltenders? I suppose they could take 30 if they really wanted to but that would be the absurd end of the equation. What should Vegas be looking at doing in terms of stocking their team?

These are their rules

* The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

That leaves 4 picks that are variable so I guess they could actually select 7 G. I doubt they pick like that though

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
These are their rules

* The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

That leaves 4 picks that are variable so I guess they could actually select 7 G. I doubt they pick like that though

I think it's more likely they take a similar strategy but with defencemen, not goalies.

Though 1B/2A goalies are worth more than #5/6 defencemen, there will also be fewer teams with holes to fill in net.

I do think priority #1 will be their own roster, though. Guaranteed lottery picks make their situation pretty unique.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Maybe we've been looking at this all wrong. Everyone is assuming that teams will try to entice Vegas to pick a certain player or to not pick a certain player by sending them additional asset(s) either draft pick or prospect variety.

But why couldn't it happen in reverse? In other words Vegas sends an asset to a team so that a particular player is unprotected so he can be selected in the draft.

For instance Vegas sends us a 3rd rd pick to leave Myers unprotected.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Armia is the smart decision to leave exposed over the rest.

I think why is because he'd most likely be in the pressbox most games or at least placed on waivers or the AHL. We could likely get him back quickly.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe we've been looking at this all wrong. Everyone is assuming that teams will try to entice Vegas to pick a certain player or to not pick a certain player by sending them additional asset(s) either draft pick or prospect variety.

But why couldn't it happen in reverse? In other words Vegas sends an asset to a team so that a particular player is unprotected so he can be selected in the draft.

Well I'd imagine Vegas will not look to deal assets when they have the upper hand so to speak. Also all their assets are futures and they will need to stockpile a system as they don't have any.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Well I'd imagine Vegas will not look to deal assets when they have the upper hand so to speak. Also all their assets are futures and they will need to stockpile a system as they don't have any.

Well they acquire some and they send some away. They could still end up on the positive side after all the counting us done. It's just a different way of looking at things.

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners

I hadn't thought of it this way. It would have to be McPhee making the call to Chevy though, not the other way around, and it would have to be before the protected lists are locked in... and if I were McPhee, I wouldn't tip my hand about who I wanted and thereby give up some of my bargaining power.
I'm not sure if the above will make sense to everyone, but I guess I'm saying that I don't think this would realistically happen.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Hearing Maurice & Chevy talk the other day, there is absolutely no way that Lowry is left unprotected (talked about in him as a core young player along with Scheif, Morrissey, Laine, Ehlers, etc).

I don't see them wanting Perrault exposed either, so it seems inevitable that they either go 7-3-1 (doing something with Myers or Enstrom), or they have a deal cooked up with Vegas.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hearing Maurice & Chevy talk the other day, there is absolutely no way that Lowry is left unprotected (talked about in him as a core young player along with Scheif, Morrissey, Laine, Ehlers, etc).

I don't see them wanting Perrault exposed either, so it seems inevitable that they either go 7-3-1 (doing something with Myers or Enstrom), or they have a deal cooked up with Vegas.

They may also make a deal with Vegas to protect the additional asset. Here is our 4-4-1 and we also want to protect Lowry what would you like in exchange?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They may also make a deal with Vegas to protect the additional asset. Here is our 4-4-1 and we also want to protect Lowry what would you like in exchange?

The way Dano and Petan were consigned to the press box for the last (what, 15 games?) was a little strange even for Maurice. Even if it was a discipline/teaching a lesson thing it went on too long. Maybe it was the 'don't change a winning lineup' thing. Whatever it was having 2 good young players sitting while clearly inferior players are playing is unusual to say the least.

I know it is edging into tinfoil hat territory just a bit but I can't help suspecting that there is a trade arranged. LV is the obvious destination.

It could be a number of different things. Take Dano + Petan and we are done with the XD. Or something for after the XD, a goalie or a defenseman coming back.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The way Dano and Petan were consigned to the press box for the last (what, 15 games?) was a little strange even for Maurice. Even if it was a discipline/teaching a lesson thing it went on too long. Maybe it was the 'don't change a winning lineup' thing. Whatever it was having 2 good young players sitting while clearly inferior players are playing is unusual to say the least.

I know it is edging into tinfoil hat territory just a bit but I can't help suspecting that there is a trade arranged. LV is the obvious destination.

It could be a number of different things. Take Dano + Petan and we are done with the XD. Or something for after the XD, a goalie or a defenseman coming back.

I have been of the mindset that Petan and a draft pick are going to Vegas for one of the three goalies Vegas will get and ensure Vegas takes Dano.

I also agree that usages where odd at the end of the year even for Maurice.

I think you saw what his ideal top 9 is in the last game of the year. I think they like Copp at C on the 4th and will look to bring in a Maurice type vet 4th line RW to kill penalties and crash and bang.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I have been of the mindset that Petan and a draft pick are going to Vegas for one of the three goalies Vegas will get and ensure Vegas takes Dano.

I also agree that usages where odd at the end of the year even for Maurice.

I think you saw what his ideal top 9 is in the last game of the year. I think they like Copp at C on the 4th and will look to bring in a Maurice type vet 4th line RW to kill penalties and crash and bang.

Yea I could easily see Winnipeg trading for a goalie from Vegas. Has anyone constructed a list of goalies that will need to be exposed to Vegas yet that you guys have seen?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yea I could easily see Winnipeg trading for a goalie from Vegas. Has anyone constructed a list of goalies that will need to be exposed to Vegas yet that you guys have seen?

Well the big one for me that I know that the Jets like is Raanta. Grubaur is a RFA I believe that will also be left exposed. I'm not sure who else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad