Speculation: Expansion Draft - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
How do you propose the Jets protect both Lowry and Perreault? Seems like an either/or choice to me.

like I said for months you get a certain dman that will not be taken by vegas cause of his contract age injuries decline in play to waive his nmc allowing you to protect 7 forwards instead of 4.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
like I said for months you get a certain dman that will not be taken by vegas cause of his contract age injuries decline in play to waive his nmc allowing you to protect 7 forwards instead of 4.

Not one person has come up with a convincing argument regarding WHY Enstrom would waive a right he negotiated when he signed this contract. It's very, very unlikely to happen.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Not one person has come up with a convincing argument regarding WHY Enstrom would waive a right he negotiated when he signed this contract. It's very, very unlikely to happen.

I felt this way too all winter long. Then there was something in Chevy's answer, when Sarah asked him point blank if he would ask Enstrom to waive, that made me re-consider. He didn't treat that suggestion as blasphemy. He made me think that he's working on things and it will be sorted out

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I felt this way too all winter long. Then there was something in Chevy's answer, when Sarah asked him point blank if he would ask Enstrom to waive, that made me re-consider. He didn't treat that suggestion as blasphemy. He made me think that he's working on things and it will be sorted out

Yeah he most certainly didn't shoot it down. It doesn't mean he will actually ask Toby or if Toby would waive. As others have stated I don't see Toby agreeing to waive unless he actually wants a move to another team or if Chevy has an agreement in place with Vwgas not to take him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So much discussion about a player who is most likely getting exposed.

Maurice in his presser today said something like Lowry has 15 goals for a defensive minded forward and shouldn't be counted as "bottom-6" :laugh: . They are protecting Lowry, folks.

No news here. Maurice loves Lowry. He'll probably have a big say, which will increase the likelihood that the Jets protect Lowry.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No news here. Maurice loves Lowry. He'll probably have a big say, which will increase the likelihood that the Jets protect Lowry.

I like Lowry as well but Maurice overvalues him a tad. Although methinks the org wants to pilot Connor with him. I don't think it was an accident that he spent a good chunk of time in the AHL with a similar style defensive C in Cormier. Maurice's press conference seemed to indicate he wanted one of the young guys with him. If Connor can replicate what he did with Cormier at the NHL level I think the offensive effectiveness of our third line jumps up.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Gil's 4 step XD plan. (go easy on me)

1. Myers doesn't play again this year (leak possible setback).
2. Trade Dano and Hutch to NYR for Antti Raanta and NYR 2017 4th round draft pick.
3. Trade conditional pick to Washington for Philipp Grubauer (2018 2nd rounder if he's not selected by Vegas, 2017 4th rounder if he is selected by Vegas).
4. Protect 7+3+1. Expose Myers, Grubauer, Hellebuyck, Stuart, Mathais.

Live happily ever after.

(part of me believes the Dano trade has already been agreed)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Gil's 4 step XD plan. (go easy on me)

1. Myers doesn't play again this year (leak possible setback).
2. Trade Dano and Hutch to NYR for Antti Raanta and NYR 2017 4th round draft pick.
3. Trade conditional pick to Washington for Philipp Grubauer (2018 2nd rounder if he's not selected by Vegas, 2017 4th rounder if he is selected by Vegas).
4. Protect 7+3+1. Expose Myers, Grubauer, Hellebuyck, Stuart, Mathais.

Live happily ever after.

(part of me believes the Dano trade has already been agreed)

So, you lose Myers in the XD and a goalie to waivers? and you're a forward short on the list... No thanks.

Last edited:

Zog

Jun 3, 2007
Outta town.
If Myers doesn't play in any of the next three games, isn't he exempt?

I don't know all the rules, but I thought I read something quite a while back that a player that misses the last 60 games of the season isn't eligible to be picked. Maybe I was drunk when I imagined that.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
If Myers doesn't play in any of the next three games, isn't he exempt?

I don't know all the rules, but I thought I read something quite a while back that a player that misses the last 60 games of the season isn't eligible to be picked. Maybe I was drunk when I imagined that.

If the NHL deems that the injury they missed time with is career threatening, then the NHL, at their sole discretion, can elect to make that player ineligible for the expansion draft. They don't count as a player exposed, they don't need to be protected, they can't be selected by Vegas to circumvent the rules on drafting a certain number of players under contract and hitting the cap floor.

This was set up for players like Nathan Horton that will never play again but can't officially retire or else they don't get paid the remainder of their contract. The fact the Myers practiced with the team shows that there is at least a chance he plays again so the NHL won't exclude him. (If he plays again this year or not.)

As an aside, given the personal situation that Toby is/was dealing with, I wonder if he waives his NMC and if Vegas selects him he just retires and plays back home in Sweden. He's already made $40,000,000 in his NHL career.

Zog

Jun 3, 2007
Outta town.
If the NHL deems that the injury they missed time with is career threatening, then the NHL, at their sole discretion, can elect to make that player ineligible for the expansion draft. They don't count as a player exposed, they don't need to be protected, they can't be selected by Vegas to circumvent the rules on drafting a certain number of players under contract and hitting the cap floor.

This was set up for players like Nathan Horton that will never play again but can't officially retire or else they don't get paid the remainder of their contract. The fact the Myers practiced with the team shows that there is at least a chance he plays again so the NHL won't exclude him. (If he plays again this year or not.)

As an aside, given the personal situation that Toby is/was dealing with, I wonder if he waives his NMC and if Vegas selects him he just retires and plays back home in Sweden. He's already made $40,000,000 in his NHL career.

Thanks for the clarification! :)

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
There's just no way they expose Myers. I don't know how they'll get around it, but I'd be shocked if it happened.
Does anyone know the date that the NHL will show the Vegas exposed players?

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

2 reason that come to my mind are,

Money
I believe tax laws are super friendly in Nevada.... friendly enough to probably take home an extra 300k or 400k next year.

NMC seem more about controlling your destiny than a strict desire to stay in 1 location. Not having to uproot your whole family mid season at a TD kinda thing. In Tobys case he has a whole summer to prepare for a potential move

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
There's just no way they expose Myers. I don't know how they'll get around it, but I'd be shocked if it happened.
Does anyone know the date that the NHL will show the Vegas exposed players?

Protection Lists are due from the teams on June 17th. Expansion draft happens June 20th.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
2 reason that come to my mind are,

Money
I believe tax laws are super friendly in Nevada.... friendly enough to probably take home an extra 300k or 400k next year.

NMC seem more about controlling your destiny than a strict desire to stay in 1 location. Not having to uproot your whole family mid season at a TD kinda thing. In Tobys case he has a whole summer to prepare for a potential move

The TD is exactly the time you would see a player like Toby waive. Especially if the Jets are not on the playoff picture. His NMC gives him control and could ensure he is traded to a contending team with a chance to win.

No way he believes Vegas is a team poised to contend for the Stanley Cup.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
The TD is exactly the time you would see a player like Toby waive. Especially if the Jets are not on the playoff picture. His NMC gives him control and could ensure he is traded to a contending team with a chance to win.

No way he believes Vegas is a team poised to contend for the Stanley Cup.

What if his other option is a buy out?

Anyways IF Toby waived I think it would be about the money more than anything. That makes sense doesn't it? Toby's next contract won't be this lucrative.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
What if his other option is a buy out?

Anyways IF Toby waived I think it would be about the money more than anything. That makes sense doesn't it? Toby's next contract won't be this lucrative.

If the Jets buy him out then he is a UFA and can choose from all of the other teams instead of just an expansion team unlikely to win. Wouldn't that be preferable to a player like Toby?

I still don't see what's it for Enstrom. I fully expect him to be one of the players the Jets protect in the expansion draft.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
If the Jets buy him out then he is a UFA and can choose from all of the other teams instead of just an expansion team unlikely to win. Wouldn't that be preferable to a player like Toby?

I still don't see what's it for Enstrom. I fully expect him to be one of the players the Jets protect in the expansion draft.

Money. That's all I can see.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
enstrom will be exposed. enstrom will not be taken by vegas with only 1 year left on contract and 6 mill with all the better cheaper options available to them. enstrom plays out last year and then says goodbye after we use him as a rental and make the playoffs next year.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
enstrom will be exposed. enstrom will not be taken by vegas with only 1 year left on contract and 6 mill with all the better cheaper options available to them. enstrom plays out last year and then says goodbye after we use him as a rental and make the playoffs next year.

Disagree with everything you wrote.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim

His NMC means he can't be exposed.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Can Myers play the left side? If so if Enstrom won't waive I would buy out Enstrom and run with Morrissey, Trouba, Myers, Byfuglien as a very good top 4D.

That way you can protect all of Trouba, Myers, Byfuglien, Wheeler, Scheifele, Little, Perrault, Armia, Lowry and Copp in the XD.

You end up losing one of Matthias, Dano, Stuart and Hutchison.

Without adding anything you have something like:

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Connor Little Wheeler
Perrault Petan Armia
Matthias/Dano Lowry Copp

Morrissey Trouba
Myers Byfuglien
Poolman Postma

If Myers can't play left side, you could have Poolman with Byfuglien and Chiarot with Myers. Still not bad.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Question on Buyouts ???

If a team buys out a players contract, do they have to pay full value of the contract ??? or is there a discount, because player doesn't play ???

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
If a team buys out a players contract, do they have to pay full value of the contract ??? or is there a discount, because player doesn't play ???

Over age 25 - 2/3 of the remaining contract value

Age 25 and under - 1/3 of the remaining contract value

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Enstrom can not be exposed unless he waives his NMC.

...and around, and around, and around we go. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad