Expansion Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
There will be a good amount of quality defensemen (#4 D with upside) that will be exposed to Vegas, while there won't be too many good, young forwards. We are destined to lose a forward in expansion. LV won't have that many to choose from compared to defensemen, and our forwards (Bill, Anderson, and maybe Jenner) should be more attractive to them than Jack Johnson...it's as simple as that.

Vegas will use the extra middle-pairing defensemen they select to trade for quality forwards and top picks/prospects to fill out their team and pipeline.

Personally, I think losing Karlsson to expansion is best case scenario, as we have Dubois coming up next year, and Sedlak at C too (and Jenner if needed). Our RW depth is scarce compared to C, so I would have to say losing Anderson would hurt the most - even more than losing Jenner.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
There will be a good amount of quality defensemen (#4 D with upside) that will be exposed to Vegas, while there won't be too many good, young forwards. We are destined to lose a forward in expansion. LV won't have that many to choose from compared to defensemen, and our forwards (Bill, Anderson, and maybe Jenner) should be more attractive to them than Jack Johnson...it's as simple as that.

Vegas will use the extra middle-pairing defensemen they select to trade for quality forwards and top picks/prospects to fill out their team and pipeline.

Personally, I think losing Karlsson to expansion is best case scenario, as we have Dubois coming up next year, and Sedlak at C too (and Jenner if needed). Our RW depth is scarce compared to C, so I would have to say losing Anderson would hurt the most - even more than losing Jenner.

Agreed except I think center depth is a bigger issue than right wing depth. Saad and Foligno play both wings, I believe Jenner has as well, then Atkinson and Bjorkstrand. Not an issue.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Korpisalo is RFA and there is nothing that I have seen say he has to have received his QO before the expansion draft.

If there is information otherwise to contradict goalie availability please share but the above is taken specifically from the posted expansion draft rules.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Korpisalo is RFA and there is nothing that I have seen say he has to have received his QO before the expansion draft.

If there is information otherwise to contradict goalie availability please share but the above is taken specifically from the posted expansion draft rules.

QOs usually go out in the few days between the draft and the QO deadline.

All this will end up doing is pushing the timetable up sooner. A bunch of pending RFAs will get QOs a few days earlier than they otherwise would.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
QOs usually go out in the few days between the draft and the QO deadline.

All this will end up doing is pushing the timetable up sooner. A bunch of pending RFAs will get QOs a few days earlier than they otherwise would.

Yes, for some like say, Anton Forsberg? In Korpi's case he would get his at the normal time thus making him ineligible to be made available.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Yes, for some like say, Anton Forsberg? In Korpi's case he would get his at the normal time thus making him ineligible to be made available.

No, he'll be made available, but he wouldn't count toward the existing teams' exposure requirements.

And the league has made it pretty clear that teams who try to evade the exposure requirements will really wish that they hadn't.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Theoretically, the Jackets could qualify Dansk with the intention of bringing him over for a season in the ECHL and meet the requirement to have a goalie exposed. But that would seem like circumventing the rules.

If they qualify Forsberg, who's in the top 4 in GAA in the AHL, and not Korpi, it still exposes a quality goalie prospect.

Likely Elvis comes over next season to be the starter in Cleveland. He's not going to give up the money he's making in Switzerland to backup Forsberg in Cleveland. So, it's likely Forsberg moves on (assuming Korpi wins the backup role for next season).

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Theoretically, the Jackets could qualify Dansk with the intention of bringing him over for a season in the ECHL and meet the requirement to have a goalie exposed. But that would seem like circumventing the rules.

If they qualify Forsberg, who's in the top 4 in GAA in the AHL, and not Korpi, it still exposes a quality goalie prospect.

Likely Elvis comes over next season to be the starter in Cleveland. He's not going to give up the money he's making in Switzerland to backup Forsberg in Cleveland. So, it's likely Forsberg moves on (assuming Korpi wins the backup role for next season).

They'll all be exposed no matter what. The minimum doesn't have any relevance to the Jackets.

The minimum requirement just means that you have to go get a goalie and expose him if you don't have a goalie. But if you have several goalies with 2+ years of pro experience, as the Jackets do, you have to expose all but one (Bob).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So the protected lists will not be made public. I kind of get it from player privacy but it takes a lot of the fun out of arguing about why that guy not so and so.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So the protected lists will not be made public. I kind of get it from player privacy but it takes a lot of the fun out of arguing about why that guy not so and so.

Yeah. Oh well. Since it won't be observed I'll probably just try not to speculate on it.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
All of this discussion has me beginning to wonder what the team will look like next fall..

I know....I know...... there is a lot to happen between now and then, but some of the recent moves and some articles have me beginning to think about what might be.

Gone:
First, Korpikoski and Quincey are strictly rentals. I don't see them back. (They really don't need to be replaced as this team won 16 straight without them. They are just depth and expereince for the playoff run.
Second: I really doubt that Gagner will be back. He will find a better paying gig. Need a roster replacement.
Third: Just for discussion, let's say that Bill Karlsson goes to Vegas. It could be another forward or goal tender, but that spot will need to be replaced.

Coming:
1. It only stands to reason that PLD should be able to make the team. That would replace a center spot in Karlsson.
2. Bjorkstrand should cement his roster spot. He looks like he is now ready to play at this level.

I don't think Abramov will be ready yet.

The following 6 have their RFA deals expire and should get a new contract; Wennberg, Anderson, Sedlak, Harrington, Hannikainen, and Korpisalo. I doubt that the CBJ carried Harrington all season and avoided sending him to the AHL just to lose him for lack of a Qualifying Offer.

The 3 UFA were addressed above - Korpikoski, Quincey, Gagner.

That leaves the Dalton Prout roster spot. When Quincey goes, that opens Prout's spot. Korpikoski really filled an injury spot. When Sedlak and Calvert get better, that puts the team back where they were before the trade deadline.

SO that takes Karlsson, Prout and Gagner out and PLD and Bjorkstrand in. That leaves one roster spot open for camp.

Does anybody see this another way?

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
If Korpisalo keeps playing well up here for the rest of the season, I actually wouldn't be too surprised to see him taken in the expansion draft. I could see them wanting to get a good young goalie in their system that is NHL ready.. Keeping in mind, I'm not exactly sure what young goalies will be exposed on the market for them to take.. I just know Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh has theirs locked down already..

But, off the top of my head without putting too much thought into it at this time- Have to get ready to go to the Jacket's game tonight.. I could certainly see them going with a veteran goalie of some sort and a youngster that shows some decent promise.

Will be interesting to see if Dubois is NHL ready.. His PPG pace on his new team is at 1.33 PPG now. Seems like his scoring has dropped a bit over the last couple weeks. Granted, I'm not sure how he has looked in his play.. Just able to stat watch at this time. If Karlsson is around, I could see him going back to BAB unless he forces himself a spot on this team.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
All of this discussion has me beginning to wonder what the team will look like next fall..

I know....I know...... there is a lot to happen between now and then, but some of the recent moves and some articles have me beginning to think about what might be.

Gone:
First, Korpikoski and Quincey are strictly rentals. I don't see them back. (They really don't need to be replaced as this team won 16 straight without them. They are just depth and expereince for the playoff run.
Second: I really doubt that Gagner will be back. He will find a better paying gig. Need a roster replacement.
Third: Just for discussion, let's say that Bill Karlsson goes to Vegas. It could be another forward or goal tender, but that spot will need to be replaced.

Coming:
1. It only stands to reason that PLD should be able to make the team. That would replace a center spot in Karlsson.
2. Bjorkstrand should cement his roster spot. He looks like he is now ready to play at this level.

I don't think Abramov will be ready yet.

The following 6 have their RFA deals expire and should get a new contract; Wennberg, Anderson, Sedlak, Harrington, Hannikainen, and Korpisalo. I doubt that the CBJ carried Harrington all season and avoided sending him to the AHL just to lose him for lack of a Qualifying Offer.

The 3 UFA were addressed above - Korpikoski, Quincey, Gagner.

That leaves the Dalton Prout roster spot. When Quincey goes, that opens Prout's spot. Korpikoski really filled an injury spot. When Sedlak and Calvert get better, that puts the team back where they were before the trade deadline.

SO that takes Karlsson, Prout and Gagner out and PLD and Bjorkstrand in. That leaves one roster spot open for camp.

Does anybody see this another way?

I don't think it's absolutely certain that Quincey isn't back. Depending on his play, how he works with Murray, and the size of the deal, he COULD take that Prout spot

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The "Prout spot", to be clear, could be filled at either forward or defense. We carried 8D all year but could go with 7D next year and carry an extra forward.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I don't think it's absolutely certain that Quincey isn't back. Depending on his play, how he works with Murray, and the size of the deal, he COULD take that Prout spot

I'll second this. If he can be re-signed on a 1-year deal at the same cost, I would re-up him. Especially if Johnson is taken in expansion (which I think is a long shot).

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England

On an admittedly limited sample, I see Quincey as an ideal bottom pair d. He has experience, seems fairly safe and costs very little.

I don't see us keeping Gagne but, if PLD isn't ready and the chemistry is good with Gagne, it is feasible to bring him back. I don't really have any insights into what Jarmo or Torts think about him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The "Prout spot", to be clear, could be filled at either forward or defense. We carried 8D all year but could go with 7D next year and carry an extra forward.

Good point. Depending on who we lose in the expansion draft I think we should resign Gagner. If PLD is ready we have a very solid 14 F's if we lose Korpi or JJ; if we lose an F we are covered.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'll second this. If he can be re-signed on a 1-year deal at the same cost, I would re-up him. Especially if Johnson is taken in expansion (which I think is a long shot).

Quincy looks slow to me. Another off season for Nuti and Harrington re-signed likely fills your 7 D-man spots in my opinion. I see no reason to re-sign Quincy. He doesn't offer anything, in my opinion, over our current top 6 (aside from the playoff experience which I think will be helpful this year).

On another note, I don't see Vegas taking Korpisalo. There should be several goaltending options for them. I suspect it's a forward or possibly even JJ (Cap and value as a trade chip at next year's deadline). If a forward is taken, that might open the door for Milano to have a chance in camp. He would fit in well on today's "4th" line and could slot in on the PP for Gagner (2nd unit).

Personally, I think we see a trade or two with the existing forwards.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I am not clear on one aspect of the secret lists.

Will our front office know the lists of the other teams?

I'd think league wide there'd be a lot of interest in having the lists and Las Vegas would benefit as an intermediary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad