Expansion Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Also Vegas will have to take a few guys with decent contracts to reach salary floor.

Probably not. Run through a quick mock. They'll have no problem getting to the floor.

I disagree on a theory point. I think Vegas' biggest asset is their 100% cap space.

If they iced a team whose contracts came to 80% of the floor, they would simply pay the existing team a 20% bonus to get to the floor. Next year, if their contracts were 90% of the floor, they would pay a 10% bonus to get to the floor.

Strategically maintaining their cap space is an incredible asset in their early days. They will have incredible offers come their way which no other team will receive.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I disagree on a theory point. I think Vegas' biggest asset is their 100% cap space.

If they iced a team whose contracts came to 80% of the floor, they would simply pay the existing team a 20% bonus to get to the floor. Next year, if their contracts were 90% of the floor, they would pay a 10% bonus to get to the floor.

Strategically maintaining their cap space is an incredible asset in their early days. They will have incredible offers come their way which no other team will receive.

I would guess they could manage it by contract length? I mean no use paying $10M (or whatever) for a penalty. They can just choose a player with a big contract for one year knowing he'll come off the books (like a Jack Johnson for example even though Jack's deal isn't that big). Then they can have a player with a 3 year deal for example.
I do agree they will get offered a lot by teams who need cap space (similar to how we got Saad) but I would be surprised if they shorted the cap and just paid a penalty. I would guess that they would tier the contracts they picked up to have flexibility for 3-4 years with a decent contract coming off each year.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
FWIW, ESPN had their hockey writers take their best stab at the projected at the Las Vegas Roster.

3 of 4 writers had the CBJ losing Korpi, and one had Karlsson being taken. Karlsson being taken is the best case scenario, but I could definitely live with only losing Korpi.

As long as Josh Anderson stays here I'll be pleased (and not at the expense of exposing Boone, etc).

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...ft-based-players-left-unprotected-their-teams

major major

Feb 18, 2013
FWIW, ESPN had their hockey writers take their best stab at the projected at the Las Vegas Roster.

3 of 4 writers had the CBJ losing Korpi, and one had Karlsson being taken. Karlsson being taken is the best case scenario, but I could definitely live with only losing Korpi.

As long as Josh Anderson stays here I'll be pleased (and not at the expense of exposing Boone, etc).

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...ft-based-players-left-unprotected-their-teams

We can't see their assumptions about who is exposed (who knows, maybe they were unclear about it), but obviously Hartnell would be waiving for this situation to come about.

I wouldn't sweat losing Korpi.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Why would Vegas take Korpisalo? They will be able to do better at the goalie position, imo.

Rumor has it they might take up to 7 goalies and trade them. It seems less that Vegas' plan is to draft a team from the expansion draft, but to get trading fodder.

Vegas is being given more time with the unprotected list so they can make deals

At the GM meetings, the Golden Knights’ George McPhee let everyone know that once the lists are handed to him, it’s an auction for any unprotected player another team might want.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-whats-delaying-nhls-olympic-decision/

Some other team wants Korpi? They tell Vegas that they'll give them X and Y for Korpi and Vegas picks Korpi and makes the trade.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
My only guess is that he has the best potential to become a legit #1 longterm? Some of the guys named, Raantaa and Grubauer are solid backups or platoon type of guys.

I think that's a fair assessment as they certainly would want a young goalie who can develop with the team. A guy like Ranntaa....well, he would have been a good back up solution for us this season. :)

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
My only guess is that he has the best potential to become a legit #1 longterm? Some of the guys named, Raantaa and Grubauer are solid backups or platoon type of guys.

I think that's a fair assessment as they certainly would want a young goalie who can develop with the team. A guy like Ranntaa....well, he would have been a good back up solution for us this season. :)

Grubauer is 25 and has proven to be an excellent fill-in for Holtby, this year. The WaPo had an article, this morning, saying that the Caps may lose him to LV.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Korpi or Karlsson don't hurt. The Jackets will have some $$$ to spend this Summer. Can address whichever need then

Not really...10 F's off current roster signed, 7 D's, and Bob...with a cap hit of $67.6m. Wennberg and Anderson are the two RFAs. Then you have to factor in PLD's $925K if he makes the team, plus salary to Korpisalo (if not selected) / backup goalie (which will run at least $1m). Say Karlsson is taken by Vegas, Wennberg gets $3.5m/yr on a bridge, Josh Anderson gets $2m/yr on a bridge, and Korpisalo re-ups at $1m/yr and PLD makes the team....that's a total cap hit of $74m and that's without any extra forwards on the team.

Jarmo is going to have to get creative if he wants to add a significant FA. I don't see any buyouts on the horizon (maybe Hartnell next summer). They have the 7 D already signed and just two forwards who are RFAs.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Jarmo doesn't needs to "add a significant FA" if he's replacing Karlsson.

You have to wonder what the ceiling of the current team constructed is though. Bob cant play any better than he has this year. Sure would be nice to get atleast one elite offensive weapon on this team. Maybe Bjorkstrand can grow into that role.

As for Karlsson, if hes taken , thats absolute best case scenario, if we have to lose someone. Sedlak, can easily step right in

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

You have to wonder what the ceiling of the current team constructed is though. Bob cant play any better than he has this year. Sure would be nice to get atleast one elite offensive weapon on this team. Maybe Bjorkstrand can grow into that role.

As for Karlsson, if hes taken , thats absolute best case scenario, if we have to lose someone. Sedlak, can easily step right in

Yeah I had a longer reply in process and decided to keep it simple and isolate the Karlsson issue by itself. But yeah you're right, everything affects everything else.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

I agree with your thoughts.

Largely depends on how the team is constructed. Could continue developing d-man and using what we have offensively and we could be fine. But I tend to agree at some point we will likely need a better offensive player for the top line.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

I don't know if Bjorkstrand or Pierre Luc Dubois will be an "elite" offensive weapon on this team.. I was much higher on PLD being "elite" prior to his Draft+1 year, but I think Bjorkstrand can be a good offensive weapon.

I think Bjorkstrand could post 20 goals in a full NHL season with training in Columbus during the offseason like Torts had mentioned this year. I'd welcome that.

Not sure what you mean by "ceiling of the current team constructed".. I read it as your not sure this team can get any better by how the team is constructed, and the great play we received from the team and Bobrovsky. I think we could see some improvements from Bjorkstrand, Werenski (a bit defensively due to age), and maybe even Korpisalo.

But, I would consider "best case scenarios" if Las Vegas signs Gagner (don't see that likely happening) or taking 1. Karlsson, or worse 2. Korpisalo. I think Karlsson and Korpisalo is more easily replaceable next year. Maybe Korpisalo becomes a good #1 goalie in the NHL, maybe not. But for the next two years he would probably be a backup to Bob here, maybe develop into good trade bait.

Honestly, I'm in the boat.. You try to get Scott Hartnell to waive his NMC to Las Vegas. I'd like to protect Boone Jenner and Josh Anderson.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We're definitely not getting an elite forward in UFA - there is neither the supply nor the demand ($) on that market.

It will just be maturing of the young players and perhaps some gambles on veterans in trades.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This team will not pursue high end UFAs. Just won't happen. The young players took a step and should take another next year. The ceiling is pretty high but adding more skill would be nice. OB and PLD should help with that and not be relied on to be high end players out of the gate. That's what we've been building.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Jarmo doesn't needs to "add a significant FA" if he's replacing Karlsson.

May not need a "significant FA", but we would need some help as Gagner will likely be gone as well. I'm not banking on PLD, especially to fill the center position in year 1.

As to Bjork, I honestly don't know what his ceiling will be. But I'm a believer and see his floor at 20 goals if he stays healthy.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
I wish I shared your confidence in Milano. I'm hopeful he can ultimately contribute but he has a lot to prove.

Of course he will not be what Hartsy is for us right now. But is much better to lose Hartnell and put Milano to the lineups, then losing one of Jenner/Anderson. Hartnell is getting older and older, slower, looks tired and it will be much worse.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I'd rather lose Korpi than Karlsson, but either one isn't going to set the Jackets back too much. If Korpi goes, I'd like Forsberg to get one more shot at the backup position in pre-season and the early season. Let him get a bit more comfortable rather than feeling he's on a one-game audition. If he hasn't seized the mantle after a few games, they could look at other trade options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad