Expansion Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Yeah, it has

http://www.lakelawgroup.com/international-transfer-disputes-in-ice-hockey-part-1-three-key-cases/

Typically arbitration awards are enforced in other jurisdictions through the use of the United Nations Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards (CREFAA). Moreover, CREFFAA is only applicable if both, the jurisdiction that issued an arbitral award and the jurisdiction where enforcement of the award is being sought are signatories of the Convention ... However, in order to enforce the arbitration award, the jurisdiction where enforcement is sought, must find that subject matter jurisdiction is proper. One way for a court to find proper subject matter jurisdiction is when both parties have, in writing, agreed to arbitration.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It depends on the exact language in the contract and exactly how much the team is willing to force a player who doesn't want to play for them to play for them.

If a goalie wants to leave and put in zero effort to stop the puck, then sure enforce the contract. I'm sure that will work out really well for the team.

With Kukan and the AHL situation, that's what it essentially came down to. Luleå would have to haul his butt back to Sweden and force him to play for them. It specifically said in his contract, he had to play in the NHL or be sent back to Sweden not the AHL. The CBJ were able to argue that once he signed the NHL contract, his SHL contract was no longer valid so the language in his SHL contract didn't matter.

With Elvis, it sounds like he doesn't want to play in the AHL. If Korpi was selected in the expansion draft and Forsberg isn't resigned, maybe Elvis could be given the opportunity to try to win the backup job in training camp or go back to Switzerland. But teams in Europe don't like uncertainty with their starting goalie. However, lawyers might be able to find some loophole to get him to the NHL if the Jackets need a goalie.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Would the Blue Jackets consider the 8-1 option instead of the 7-3 option? That would force them to expose Johnson, Savard and Murray, but would allow them to keep an extra forward.

Come on, Porty. You're better than that. (If I have to explain the math, I will. But what a terrible response on the chat today)

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Come on, Porty. You're better than that. (If I have to explain the math, I will. But what a terrible response on the chat today)

Am I missing something? That looks like a question, not an answer.

EDIT: Oh, I do see he ****ed it up. Nevermind. But still, I'm ok with him ****ing stuff up stuff like that in a chat format like that.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Yeah, sorry. It was part of an answer to a question. Someone asking about Johnson and protecting him over Savard. Opting for 8-1 to protect an extra forward as he states leaves you with no defensemen protected. Not happening.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
I hope he understands that the 8+1 option is 8 skaters and 1 goalie, not 8 forwards and 1 defenseman (he didn't list Jones as one of the people they would have to expose to protect an extra forward). The answer to whether the Blue Jackets would consider it is only as long as it takes them to remember they have defensemen worth protecting.

As far as I'm concerned, the only big question right now is what they do about Hartnell.

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Vegas taking Hartnell would be a decent idea. Hartnell has worked well as a line mate for younger players. A lot of Wennberg and Dano's rookie success was playing with Hartnell. He's also helped Sedlak. Proper development of young centermen is critical for expansion teams.

I doubt Vegas is going the direction of drafting older, has-been type players, but he would be a solid player to help develop rookies on Vegas' 4th line.

Last edited:

99 CBJ

Mar 7, 2009
Columbus
Doesn't anybody think Vegas might take Calvert? I don't think he will be protected he has experience in the league he can score and he plays all out. He's not that old and I think he brings something Vegas needs. Not that I want to loose him, he is important to this team in what he does and that is why I think we could see him taken.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Doesn't anybody think Vegas might take Calvert? I don't think he will be protected he has experience in the league he can score and he plays all out. He's not that old and I think he brings something Vegas needs. Not that I want to loose him, he is important to this team in what he does and that is why I think we could see him taken.

I'm a fan of Calvert but I can't see a way it would make sense for Vegas to take him over other players that will be exposed like Wild Bill. Bill is younger, cheaper and a center.

OnYourIgnoreList

Dec 21, 2006

I think it's a possibility. Calvert would be good material for your first captain in franchise history - not a great player, but plays hard and plays the way most expansion teams have to (all heart, lots of hustle, a little bit of an edge). He also has real benefit in terms of his PK ability (which is not a small thing for a team that will be outgunned many nights - they'll have a lot of penalties to kill, in all likelihood).

He's also the type of player fans will love out of the gate because he'll play balls-to-the-wall every night even though they're going to be fighting uphill battles.

If Anderson and Boone are both protected I think Calvert might be pretty enticing for Las Vegas.

99 CBJ

Mar 7, 2009
Columbus
I don't think the contract will matter Calvy doesn't make that much. Yes Bill is a 3rd line center that has had his moments as well as a lot of invisibility on the ice. Are there better centers to chose from we will see, but you know what you are going to get with Calvert.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

It's not too hard to find Matt Calvert's, finding Josh Anderson's is much harder. Andy will be their pick if he's available IMO. If he's not, its either Karlsson, Korpisalo, or JJ (in that order).

OnYourIgnoreList

Dec 21, 2006
If Hartnell doesn't waive I say buy him out...maybe do that anyway.

I think he's almost certainly going to waive his clause, because the likelihood he gets picked is so low and they most likely will tell him if he won't that he'll be bought out.

Personally, I hope it doesn't come to that and that he willingly waives and plays out his last year with us as a 4th liner who platoons with another player. He's been a good player for us and I think has had a lot to do with the success of some of the younger guys.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think he's almost certainly going to waive his clause, because the likelihood he gets picked is so low and they most likely will tell him if he won't that he'll be bought out.

Personally, I hope it doesn't come to that and that he willingly waives and plays out his last year with us as a 4th liner who platoons with another player. He's been a good player for us and I think has had a lot to do with the success of some of the younger guys.

He has 2 more years left on his deal. i'm a bit concerned about a buyout too as we still have a good chunk of Fedor Tyutin still on the books for another 3 years too plus a small amount for Jared Boll next season. Buying out Hartnell eats up over 3 million in cap space for the next 3 years between him and Tyutin.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Wait, what?...

Holy crap - I spent this entire season thinking he had one more year left after this one.

Aw man. Now I'm (more) depressed.

When he waived his clause I would have ate some salary and took what I could in return. My goal would have been to move him no matter the return when the chance presented itself. He was never really in our long term plans and we really weren't (or are) ready for a deep playoff run. Torts was really wanting to give ice time to our youth.

I tend to take a different view than most GM's (and most people for that matter). To me the cap space was more valuable than his production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad