Expansion Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Anderson is sure going to make things interesting, at 6'3 223, 22 years of age, really fast for a big man , and probably our most physical presence . Now has 14 goals and 10 assists in his rookie season. How can we leave him exposed at this point ?

We don't. I'd leave Jenner exposed based on position, age, and cost.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Portzline seems to think Hartnell will waive his nmc for the expansion(not from sources but his opinion). Not that I agree with him, but if that happens then we can keep Anderson with no questions asked.

I still think vegas takes Karlsson.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hartnell would even be an option for Vegas as they need vets and cant just take all young guys plus i havent looked into who they may take but they need to make the cap floor. I know they will probably pursue this years rentals like Bishop but i dont know how their cap situation will look. Hartnell may not wave just so he can stay comfortable.
Im kinda worried it will be Anderson being picked but only time will tell i suppose. Guy is already a better player then I thought he'd be

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
This is a crazy long thread and don't have the time to read it all...

What's the rule on RFAs? Are they exposed to the expansion draft? Seems like there are quite a few RFAs we would be interested in re-signing: Wenny, Andy, Sedlak, Hannikainen, Harrington and Korpi.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I sort of lost track of who we can protect. At this point it seems unlikely that Foligno or Dubinsky would even be asked to waive - they could plausibly be taken by LV for leadership. Hartnell probably would waive, Clarkson will.

So that's:
Dubi
Foligno

Saad
Wennberg
Atkinson

Anderson
Jenner

And goodbye Karlsson or Korpi. I can live with that. If we keep Anderson and Jenner I'm happy.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Any chance Vegas takes Hartnell if he waives? Or the Jackets offer something to Vegas to take Hartnell's contract off their hands?

Vegas can't be all young players. They need their vets. Despite his flaws, Hartnell has been a great linemate for CBJ rookies. He definitely helps Wennberg learn his way around the NHL.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is a crazy long thread and don't have the time to read it all...

What's the rule on RFAs? Are they exposed to the expansion draft? Seems like there are quite a few RFAs we would be interested in re-signing: Wenny, Andy, Sedlak, Hannikainen, Harrington and Korpi.

I expect us to try to re-sign all of them.

The rule is that they're eligible as long as they have completed 2+ years of pro experience - with this season not counted towards that (because technically the season wouldn't be over at the time of the draft). So I believe all of them are eligible for the expansion draft. Bjorkstrand is not because this year is his second pro year. I'm not sure but I think all of our Finns are eligible because SM-Liiga is a pro league.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Any chance Vegas takes Hartnell if he waives? Or the Jackets offer something to Vegas to take Hartnell's contract off their hands?

Vegas can't be all young players. They need their vets. Despite his flaws, Hartnell has been a great linemate for CBJ rookies. He definitely helps Wennberg learn his way around the NHL.

I think there is a definite chance (>10%) he could be taken, even without an extra incentive offered.

That concerns me because he'd be justified saying he doesn't want to waive. Of course it could be his buddy Anderson gone if Hartnell decides not to waive - hard to imagine Hartsy being okay with that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I've seen the rules for who teams can protect and the rules for the salary/contract and roster makeup of the players LV must take. But is there a rule for pulling back players, or can any team only lose one player?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We don't. I'd leave Jenner exposed based on position, age, and cost.

If it comes down to protecting Jenner or Anderson I'm keeping Anderson. I agree with major's assessment that he can do almost everything better than Jenner. Plus with Jenner exposed maybe that helps us keep Korpi.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Can you trade incentives to keep teams from taking guys that waive their NMC? For example, Hartnell waives his NMC and Columbus offers a 3rd round pick to Vegas if they take anyone else off the list. Or give them a first round pick if they take Prout?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'm still keeping Jenner over Anderson. Anderson is too inconsistent. I know he's a rookie and that's totally normal, but we're making a call after this season whether we like it or not. Jenner has played great since the turn of the calendar and he's a game changing player for us. Anderson is not that yet, but he could become one. Jenner is the more established player, and the better player as of now. I keep Jenner and try to keep Anderson by Hartnell waiving his NMC, or by trying to swing a deal with Vegas where they take Karlsson or someone else.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
5 years ago no one would have cared who they took.

I am going to hate seeing Wild Bill or Anderson in Vegas, and I think there a chance (a small chance..but a chance) they take Johnson. Vegas is going to want a mixture of a few veterans as well as young proven NHL players.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm still keeping Jenner over Anderson. Anderson is too inconsistent. I know he's a rookie and that's totally normal, but we're making a call after this season whether we like it or not. Jenner has played great since the turn of the calendar and he's a game changing player for us. Anderson is not that yet, but he could become one. Jenner is the more established player, and the better player as of now. I keep Jenner and try to keep Anderson by Hartnell waiving his NMC, or by trying to swing a deal with Vegas where they take Karlsson or someone else.

Anderson has taken over just as many games this year as Jenner has.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Anderson has taken over just as many games this year as Jenner has.

To be honest, I've noticed Andy take over games when they were blowouts. Not that it's bad, but Jenner was a force in most of the games the last two weeks or so. With only the last two being blowouts. I hope we can keep both, but I would keep Jenner of Andy.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
I honestly still wonder if we're all thinking about this too much. Based on the history of expansion draft, I think if there is a player CBJ really wants to keep and can't protect and that's who Vegas wants you might see a trade where CBJ gives them something else. We have a pretty deep prospect pool and I can see CBJ possibly offering a prospect, pick, and player to protect something.

That said, in a perfect world Hartnell waves his NMC and he gets drafted and solves several potential issues for CBJ.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The last two games we didn't need Andy to bust out, but there were more than a few games earlier in the year (when Jenner was a liability), when Anderson won us close games with a key goal, or a big hit to force a turnover that led to a goal. Right now those two are the terrors of the Metro and what really sets the Jackets apart from the competition.

Mcphee is probably looking at the Jackets and thinking "that's where I'm going to get our leading goal scorer". I imagine it would take quite the package to dissuade him from that plan if Hartnell is protected and one those two is not. If it's not a Jenner/Anderson type his next best bet is to hope a UFA journeyman like Grabner overperforms, or to hope for a miraculous resurrection of a Tyler Johnson kind of guy. I don't know if a late first rounder would be enough to get him to take Karlsson/Korpi/JJ instead. He can get those quality of guys elsewhere and you're not likely to get much of a scorer with a late first pick.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The last two games we didn't need Andy to bust out, but there were more than a few games earlier in the year (when Jenner was a liability), when Anderson won us close games with a key goal, or a big hit to force a turnover that led to a goal. Right now those two are the terrors of the Metro and what really sets the Jackets apart from the competition.

Mcphee is probably looking at the Jackets and thinking "that's where I'm going to get our leading goal scorer". I imagine it would take quite the package to dissuade him from that plan if Hartnell is protected and one those two is not. If it's not a Jenner/Anderson type his next best bet is to hope a UFA journeyman like Grabner overperforms, or to hope for a miraculous resurrection of a Tyler Johnson kind of guy. I don't know if a late first rounder would be enough to get him to take Karlsson/Korpi/JJ instead. He can get those quality of guys elsewhere and you're not likely to get much of a scorer with a late first pick.

My take (at this moment in time) is that Jarmo has to do work to ensure that is the choice LV must make.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
After reading this Tweet, I wonder if Korpi is the player Vegas wants from the Jackets:

https://twitter.com/ehornick/status/836019739155640320?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

If that statement is true, then it's not simply to build a roster. They get to draft 30 players from other teams. If they take the approach that they get the most tradeable assets from other teams, then deal those players to other teams to get the players they want. So they don't need just 2-3 goalies. They might not even end up with their starter and backup from the draft. Th might just take Korpi or Anderson just because they are tradeable assets.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
After reading this Tweet, I wonder if Korpi is the player Vegas wants from the Jackets:

If that statement is true, then it's not simply to build a roster. They get to draft 30 players from other teams. If they take the approach that they get the most tradeable assets from other teams, then deal those players to other teams to get the players they want. So they don't need just 2-3 goalies. They might not even end up with their starter and backup from the draft. Th might just take Korpi or Anderson just because they are tradeable assets.

There was an article earlier that talked about them loading up on dmen for the same purpose (being tradeable). The goalies make sense - they could honestly cause a shortage if they take the best 7 NHL backups available. But some of those guys have 1 way contracts so they could lose them for free if they didn't trade them before roster cut downs.

I think the expansion draft will be fascinating. I don't think there will be many 1st round pick assets but they could have a haul of 2nd-4th round picks in the next draft.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

Vegas gets to draft 30 players - their roster is 23. What would you expect them to do with the other seven?

But they are looking at this wrong. Just ask yourself, what is the position most in need around the league right now? It sure as heck isn't goalie. It's a d-man.

Of the 18 -19 teams seriously eyeing a playoff spot, who is hurting for a goalie? Maybe Calgary. But how many would add a d-man? About 10 teams if the price and fit were correct. Vegas should take 7 extra D-men, especially prospects and AHL type players. Everybody always needs defense.

MephistoIV

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Agree with most recent posts.

Protected F: Foligno, Saad, Dubinsky, Atkinson, Jenner, Anderson, Wennberg

Waives NMC: Hartnell, Clarkson

Protected D: Savard, Jones, Murray (Werenski exempt)

Protected G: Bobrovski

Leaving: Karlson, Calvert, Johnson, Korpi as options. Seems Korpi or Karlson will be taken.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Vegas gets to draft 30 players - their roster is 23. What would you expect them to do with the other seven?

But they are looking at this wrong. Just ask yourself, what is the position most in need around the league right now? It sure as heck isn't goalie. It's a d-man.

Of the 18 -19 teams seriously eyeing a playoff spot, who is hurting for a goalie? Maybe Calgary. But how many would add a d-man? About 10 teams if the price and fit were correct. Vegas should take 7 extra D-men, especially prospects and AHL type players. Everybody always needs defense.

To the bolded: This.

There are "enough" goalies. Has Korp really shown enough to be of some great worth league-wide as a trade chip? I like the player, and I would prefer he not be lost in the expansion draft, but by the same token I wonder if you've got seven goalies how many of them would end up tradeable? Obviously Conte has a better feel for this than I do, and maybe there are enough teams whose medium-term future in goal is sketchy? Or maybe he's just blowing smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad