Expansion Draft Discussion II

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
We lost Clarkson, a first in a bad draft, and a 2nd rounder to have them take our 3rd line center with potential. This stings a bit, but I like it better than losing a prospect like Kolesar or Abramov. We got some cap to play with now. Let's use it

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Barring trades, these 11 likely are locks, correct?

Saad
Wennberg
Foligno
Hartnell
Sedlak
Bjorkstrand
Jenner
Anderson
Dubi
Cam
Calvert

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Can anyone give me a recap of tonight (CBJ award winners, who we lost in the expansion draft/trades, any other Jackets news)? I just got home from a Bible Study that was supposed to end at 8 (was stuck in church basement due to nearby hostage situation).

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Let's get this straight:

We gave up a first rounder in a weak draft, whose potential could be high but whose bust potential is also high. Or a "safe" pick who could turn into a depth player. Also threw in a second round pick -- a round that, mind you, we haven't historically done well in -- for Vegas to leave our young core alone and take an albatross contract off our hands?

I apologize if I don't see the negative here. We still have a recent third overall pick set to join what was the youngest team in the playoffs, and a decently stocked prospect cupboard. Something tells me that BIG changes are coming at the draft, maybe some decent scoring help for one of our strong defensemen.

We'll get over the picks. Seeing Josh Anderson leave would have stung way more.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
the biggest reason I dislike it is because that 1st and 2nd were chips in that "big possible deal"

for the price we paid, IMO the pick should have been Tynan or Kukan...not a roster player

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Go to the Flyers board and click the Expansion draft thread.. go to page 16 and read the comments after Bob was announced as Vezina winner... Lol. They're salty. You're welcome.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Does losing wild bill increase our interest in resigning Gagner? Did he play Center last year?

Don't think this changes the picture with Gagner. He was primarily a wing last year and he'll want term and money after a decent year. I prefer we not move forward with him. That's just me though...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We lost Clarkson, a first in a bad draft, and a 2nd rounder to have them take our 3rd line center with potential. This stings a bit, but I like it better than losing a prospect like Kolesar or Abramov. We got some cap to play with now. Let's use it
Yeah, this is about where I am.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Torts's 2nd Round Pick was worth 1.25 +1.25 = 2.5 million dollars in savings on his contract. That's roughly the cost of Clarkson to Vegas in real money.

So 2.5 million for a 2nd round pick is about the going rate.

A late first 1st in a bad draft to keep Jack. Totally worth it.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
the biggest reason I dislike it is because that 1st and 2nd were chips in that "big possible deal"

for the price we paid, IMO the pick should have been Tynan or Kukan...not a roster player

Sucks to lose those trade chips for sure. But we have prospects, some very highly touted, and could use those instead for a big possible deal.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Let's get this straight:

We gave up a first rounder in a weak draft, whose potential could be high but whose bust potential is also high. Or a "safe" pick who could turn into a depth player. Also threw in a second round pick -- a round that, mind you, we haven't historically done well in -- for Vegas to leave our young core alone and take an albatross contract off our hands?

I apologize if I don't see the negative here. We still have a recent third overall pick set to join what was the youngest team in the playoffs, and a decently stocked prospect cupboard. Something tells me that BIG changes are coming at the draft, maybe some decent scoring help for one of our strong defensemen.

We'll get over the picks. Seeing Josh Anderson leave would have stung way more.

Not only that, but the real NHL player we lost can be replaced from within this season, with PLD.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Our current prospects likely hold higher value than the 24th OA pick and the 2019 can be recovered with a future move.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Maybe you're right. But, I think this plays into the "brick by brick" method that JD is always talking about. Anderson and Johnson are foundation bricks. Karlsson is a top layer... we can lay down the metaphorical mortar and move on. It sucks, but I think Sedlak fills in just fine.

As for the picks, I would be willing to bet that rumored prospect turned into a second round pick as part of the ideal that we can move an NHL-ready prospect for a little more value than a 2nd round pick. We'll see what happens.

Don't think this changes the picture with Gagner. He was primarily a wing last year and he'll want term and money after a decent year. I prefer we not move forward with him. That's just me though...

Agreed.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
As others have mentioned, here and on twitter, Lukas Sedlak becomes a very important piece. Probably our top PKing center now.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Interesting that Vegas drafted some age. They took on at least 10 guys who will be 30+ by start of season not even counting Clarkson. The CBJ have only 3 players who will be 30 on opening night, or 4 if counting Foligno who hits 30 at end of October.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Interesting that Vegas drafted some age. They took on at least 10 guys who will be 30+ by start of season not even counting Clarkson. The CBJ have only 3 players who will be 30 on opening night, or 4 if counting Foligno who hits 30 at end of October.

If they're still there on opening night, they can be valuable veterans on a pretty young squad. And if they're a bad team next year they can be trade pieces for draft picks at the deadline. Works out well for them imo.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Now we'll need to sort out the potential log jam on D.

Jones
Werenski
Johnson
Savard
Murray
Nutivaara
Carlsson
Gavrikov
Harrington

Surely someone gets moved? Although it's possible Carlsson and Gavrikov could play in the AHL to season as we work of JJ's last year on his contract. See what Nuti brings this year and if Murray moves back up the ladder...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad