Expansion Draft Discussion II

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I think that we should let Vegas have someone good so that when I go there I can say I am with the FO and I can get my rooms and meals comped.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Find a way to protect Anderson, im fine with losing wild Bill. JJ I'm extremely hesitant about. An injury or two on D and we're extremely iffy and Johnson/Savard ate a TON of minutes this season.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Anderson is going to be protected at the expense of Hartnell one way or another.

The more I think about it, the more I think Jack will be taken. He can play huge top pair minutes, be a leader and he isn't too old. Not to mention he just had probably his best year, at least as far as +/- goes.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Anderson is going to be protected at the expense of Hartnell one way or another.

The more I think about it, the more I think Jack will be taken. He can play huge top pair minutes, be a leader and he isn't too old. Not to mention he just had probably his best year, at least as far as +/- goes.

You're looking at in a vacuum of this team and the eligible players. There will be A LOT better defenders available based on the mocks so far (look at Minnesota, for example. Or Nashville. Or Anaheim. Etc.). Johnson will only have a year left so it won't make a lot of sense to draft a guy who could walk in less than 365 days.

Good, young goalies are hard to come by. I've read Vegas will stockpile young goalies and use them as leverage for other picks/players. I'm very heavily leaning towards Korpisalo being the player selected.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
You're looking at in a vacuum of this team and the eligible players. There will be A LOT better defenders available based on the mocks so far (look at Minnesota, for example. Or Nashville. Or Anaheim. Etc.). Johnson will only have a year left so it won't make a lot of sense to draft a guy who could walk in less than 365 days.

Good, young goalies are hard to come by. I've read Vegas will stockpile young goalies and use them as leverage for other picks/players. I'm very heavily leaning towards Korpisalo being the player selected.

True. But, a player like Johnson can fetch a nice price at the deadline from a playoff team by that logic. Maybe they flip him for a 1st? Jack has a reputation as a playoff performer. Who knows?? I hope he sticks around, but I am overthinking it I'm sure.

Also, admittedly I haven't studied who else will be available around the league.

I admit I have no idea whats going to happen in the draft. It could very well be Korpi who is selected. I could live with that.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
JMFJ would be an ideal pick for Vegas if they are looking to leverage how to gain more assets yet have a decent player to stabilize the defense. He isn't a top pair guy but he's shown he's extremely reliable in big games and only has one year left on his deal. I mentioned this in the last thread. JJ likely garners an excellent return at next year's deadline. I see no reason he couldn't land Vegas a 1st round pick and possibly another asset. buys them a year of development, good guy in the room, solid buy on the ice and reasonable contract.

Otherwise, I suspect they'll focus on young forwards with upside. There will be a lot of D options to make a reasonable top 6 but Vegas still is very unlikely to contend for the playoffs (let alone the Cup) for several years. Go for assets you can flip or develop and maintain as you draft high end talent.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
True. But, a player like Johnson can fetch a nice price at the deadline from a playoff team by that logic. Maybe they flip him for a 1st? Jack has a reputation as a playoff performer. Who knows?? I hope he sticks around, but I am overthinking it I'm sure.

Also, admittedly I haven't studied who else will be available around the league.

I admit I have no idea whats going to happen in the draft. It could very well be Korpi who is selected. I could live with that.

In addition to eating bi minutes, your point about Johnson stepping up in the playoffs is a big reason I want to keep him. A killer for this team has been not enough guys stepping up In the playoffs. Of our guys who played in both of our last two playoffs, tell me who has played bigger?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
nothing expanded yet but our minds

giphy.gif

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I personally think Murray will be dealt prior to the expansion draft and Jones, Savard, and JJ will be protected. Heck, I wouldn't at all be surprised if JJ gets an extension as I think Torts loves the guy and he makes a great shutdown pair with Savard.

Not a chance they lose Anderson.

I believe it will come down to Calvert, Karlsson, or Korpisalo. I also wouldn't rule out Sedlak who I hope flies under the radar as I'd much rather lose Karlsson than him.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
that would be a mistake, but hey it's easy to sacrifice the valuable role player.

I wouldn't call it a "sacrifice." The term gives me images of tying his hands behind his back and shoving him very purposefully into a volcano.

I know there is some time yet for some creative approaches to the list of available players, but in the end, there are only so many players that will be able to be protected. Whatever happens will likely be something we (fans, the organization) didn't want to have happen.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
I personally think Murray will be dealt prior to the expansion draft and Jones, Savard, and JJ will be protected. Heck, I wouldn't at all be surprised if JJ gets an extension as I think Torts loves the guy and he makes a great shutdown pair with Savard.

Not a chance they lose Anderson.

I believe it will come down to Calvert, Karlsson, or Korpisalo. I also wouldn't rule out Sedlak who I hope flies under the radar as I'd much rather lose Karlsson than him.
Keep in mind if they trade Murray for an upgrade at forward, then they'll have to protect another forward.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I personally think Murray will be dealt prior to the expansion draft and Jones, Savard, and JJ will be protected.

No. They HAVE to expose at least 1 Dman who meets the following:

"under contract in 2017-18, AND
played in 40 or more NHL games last season, OR
played in 70 or more NHL games in the last two seasons"

As of now, the Jackets only have 4 Dmen who meet that requirement - Jones, Johnson, Murray, and Savard. One of those four HAS to be exposed. If you trade Murray, you're wasting a protected spot. So Jones + 2 of the other 3 will be protected and one will be exposed. Simple math. It's going to happen unless, in your scenario, Murray brings in another Dman who meets the above requirements.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

As of now, the Jackets only have 4 Dmen who meet that requirement - Jones, Johnson, Murray, and Savard. One of those four HAS to be exposed. If you trade Murray, you're wasting a protected spot. So Jones + 2 of the other 3 will be protected and one will be exposed. Simple math. It's going to happen unless, in your scenario, Murray brings in another Dman who meets the above requirements.

I've been happily ignoring the expansion draft stuff for the most part. I didn't realize they HAD to expose someone that meets those criteria. I guess that makes sense though.

:cry:

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
It's an esy knee jerk reaction to say Murray is the one left out. But, it should come down to contract. Who makes more? To shed a contract would help out.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Johnson makes the most sense - the oldest with just a year on his contract. That's probably not very attractive to Vegas.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Good info....reinforces that the Jackets are almost forced to expose my man JMFJ. Assuming Hartsy waives and Anderson is protected, 50/50 they'd chose Jack while Murray would be 90%+.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH

Did not know this rule so thanks for pointing out but this would be a small hurdle -- for example you can resign Quincy and expose him. Or you make sure you get some journeyman back in a trade to check this box.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Did not know this rule so thanks for pointing out but this would be a small hurdle -- for example you can resign Quincy and expose him. Or you make sure you get some journeyman back in a trade to check this box.

Quincey will get paid elsewhere, probably. Even if you expose journeyman X, that's fine until Vegas doesn't pick him and you're stuck with someone who probably strikes as much confidence as Scott Harrington.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I wouldn't call it a "sacrifice."

They (the fans) are more than willing to sacrifice him.

The art of the an expansion draft is to get the expansion team to take the player that you want them to. If the FO decides that is Karlsson then so be it. I think it's a mistake. The player(s) that I might leave open to expansion are probably different than others. Heck the players are that available for protection could very well change before the expansion draft. I'm not even convinced that if we expose Karlsson that he will third on the list of priorities from Vegas.

Also all our astute fans think that he will be the player "of value" that we expose and that Vegas will want him.

We love to talk as things exist now, with our own set of values and pretend that is how things are going to be at the expansion draft. To be honest, it's been a dead horse for a while and really should be picked up when the list is set in stone. Not sure how many times and by how many people Karlsson will be the odd man out. Must be at 30+ by now.

Heck there is even talk of signing players just to expose them. Odds are a guy like Quincy would still be here after the draft. Well done, a depth player you might not even want.

I can tell you right now our fans would not be thrilled on who I asked to waive their NMC/NTC and who would end up on the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad