HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Webers cap hit is crippling, maybe not right now, but it will be. I don't think he'll get selected by Seattle for that reason alone...they'll be looking to build their team based on speed similarly to Las Vegas. Nothing about Weber screams speed.

7F: Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Gallagher, Danault, Tatar
3D: Mete, Juulsen, Signed Petry (otherwise Weber)
1G: Price

Lose Byron/Lehkonen/Shaw/Armia/Weber

Weber's contract is designed for him to retire at age 36 or 37. Weber won't be playing those $1M salary years at the age of 38, 39, 40. Very unlikely. It's very probable that if he is protected (if), we protect him for 1 or 2 seasons at the age of 36 and 37.

I'm not sure of how the pending UFA's unfold... Gallagher, Tatar, Petry, Danault.

Should be interesting to see how this develops in the next few seasons.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
"Bergevin's contract is done after the 20/21"

Can't wait

2021 off season list:
- Kotkaniemi needs a new contract after his ELC expires
- Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, Danault are pending UFA's
- Expansion draft
- Bergevin's contract expires

Enjoy this season and the next two cause after that, the Habs might be going through another re-set.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
2021 off season list:
- Kotkaniemi needs a new contract after his ELC expires
- Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, Danault are pending UFA's
- Expansion draft
- Bergevin's contract expires

Enjoy this season and the next two cause after that, the Habs might be going through another re-set.

Tatar and Petry are likely gone, traded for picks and prospects by then. KK will get a big raise. We will have Suzuki and Poehling in the lineup with other good prospects. I see Danault and Gallagher here for a long time. And hopefully no more MB. Alzner's contract will be up too. I can't wait in 3 years. I see nothing but promise.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Webers cap hit is crippling, maybe not right now, but it will be. I don't think he'll get selected by Seattle for that reason alone...they'll be looking to build their team based on speed similarly to Las Vegas. Nothing about Weber screams speed.

7F: Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Gallagher, Danault, Tatar
3D: Mete, Juulsen, Signed Petry (otherwise Weber)
1G: Price

Lose Byron/Lehkonen/Shaw/Armia/Weber
Poehling and Suzuki and Brook and Romanov do not have to be protected and Tatar, Petry, Danault and Gallagher could conspire to sign their contracts after the draft. Weber is probably safe due to cap hit, and if so, would allow us to protect Fleury.

So we would possibly lose only our 13th F, 8th D or the backup goalie. If we sign a strong LD somehow, then Fleury becomes the 8th D

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Poehling and Suzuki and Brook and Romanov do not have to be protected and Tatar, Petry, Danault and Gallagher could conspire to sign their contracts after the draft. Weber is probably safe due to cap hit, and if so, would allow us to protect Fleury.

So we would possibly lose only our 13th F, 8th D or the backup goalie. If we sign a strong LD somehow, then Fleury becomes the 8th D

I'm hoping Weber is still playing well enough that we have to protect him.

I expect to lose a good player in that draft.

We were really lucky to only lose Emelin and Beaulieu for a 3rd in the last draft. But that's mainly because Bergevin had put together a really bad team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tatar and Petry are likely gone, traded for picks and prospects by then. KK will get a big raise. We will have Suzuki and Poehling in the lineup with other good prospects. I see Danault and Gallagher here for a long time. And hopefully no more MB. Alzner's contract will be up too. I can't wait in 3 years. I see nothing but promise.

- The more I think about it, I think Weber won't be protected. Why risk protecting him when we might only get 1 or 2 more years at age 36 and 37 from him. Depends on how his game is at that point I guess.
- Not sure if Petry is re-signed or not. That depends on his play in the next 2.25 seasons and what he wants as a 33 year old UFA. If he wants too much, he's gone IMO.
- Who knows how good Brook, Juulsen, and Fleury are in 2.25 years from now but that may be the RD we go with.
- I think Danault is re-signed
- Not sure about Gallagher. He will be looking to get paid at age 29
- Tatar may be re-signed if the deal is right.

Our protection list might end up like...
- Price
- Mete, Juulsen, Fleury
- Kotkaniemi, Domi, Drouin, Lehkonen, Byron, Armia, and one of Gallagher, Danault, or Tatar.

We will see how the young players improve and what we do with the vets and pending UFA's

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Poehling should make our lineup next year, that is why I included him.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
- The more I think about it, I think Weber won't be protected. Why risk protecting him when we might only get 1 or 2 more years at age 36 and 37 from him. Depends on how his game is at that point I guess.
- Not sure if Petry is re-signed or not. That depends on his play in the next 2.25 seasons and what he wants as a 33 year old UFA. If he wants too much, he's gone IMO.
- Who knows how good Brook, Juulsen, and Fleury are in 2.25 years from now but that may be the RD we go with.
- I think Danault is re-signed
- Not sure about Gallagher. He will be looking to get paid at age 29
- Tatar may be re-signed if the deal is right.

Our protection list might end up like...
- Price
- Mete, Juulsen, Fleury
- Kotkaniemi, Domi, Drouin, Lehkonen, Byron, Armia, and one of Gallagher, Danault, or Tatar.

We will see how the young players improve and what we do with the vets and pending UFA's

I wouldn't protect a 33 years old Paul Byron.

Kotkaniemi, Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, Danault, Armia, Lehkonen
Mete, Juulsen, Fleury
Price

Tatar likely gets traded, so will Lehkonen and Hudon. Being in the "reset" stage helps in that a lot of our core players in 2 years from now won't have to be protected.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
How come? I thought it was anyone with a pro year
Two pro years are exempt, and AHL basically counts if 20 or older (there's a complicated exception possible for very young 20 year olds in AHL but Poehling is an older 20 year old and doesn't qualify, so won't get into it here).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't protect a 33 years old Paul Byron.

Kotkaniemi, Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, Danault, Armia, Lehkonen
Mete, Juulsen, Fleury
Price

Tatar likely gets traded, so will Lehkonen and Hudon. Being in the "reset" stage helps in that a lot of our core players in 2 years from now won't have to be protected.

I'm not too sure Tatar and Lehkonen likely get traded.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I don't see how Weber isn't protected, unless his player falls off a cliff like Alzner. With the cap always going up, his cap hit isn't all that bad if he's still a top-4 D. Also he is the captain and you just don't let a player of this caliber go for nothing. See: Marc-Andre Fleury.

If Brook/Fleury keep improving, you can kiss Juulsen goodbye. He won't be protected.

The UFAs, as most of you have predicted, won't be re-signed before the draft, allowing us to protect more guys.

It's still a long way from now, but I trust Bergevin will make sure we don't lose anyone too important. Couple years from now, the older boys like Tatar/Petry/Byron will have less important roles on our team as some of our young prospects graduate, so we won't mind losing them as much.

The key is to keep our core intact, that is basically in a nutshell Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Ylonen up front, Weber, Mete, Brook, Fleury, Romanov on D and Price, Primeau in goal (as well as our 1st picks in 2019 and 2020).

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
Two pro years are exempt, and AHL basically counts if 20 or older (there's a complicated exception possible for very young 20 year olds in AHL but Poehling is an older 20 year old and doesn't qualify, so won't get into it here).

Mathias Brunet had a good article on that subject in French : Ryan Poehling en renfort pour les séries? | Mathias Brunet | Mathias Brunet

It's a complex rule (even some managers in the NHL offices don't get it right lol) If Poehling plays more than 10 games this year (including playoff) he'll be deemed eligible for the expansion draft.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
In the article he said they checked with the NHL and the playoff part is true.
That makes sense. The part of the CBA that refers to the 10 game threshold just says "10 NHL games", not "regular season games".

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Price is among the top 10 goalies in the world, but he's hardly a consensus #1 anymore... plus that contract. Plus that quote was from before the season.
Price is making a bad team a playoffs one, he is saving our ass more than any goaltenders do for their team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad