HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nope he has 2 pro seasons but didn't play at all in the nhl last year. So under the wtv game threshold needed to be included.

I believe Fleury will have to be protected by the time the expansion draft comes. His AHL season last year counts with his pro years. So last year, this year, and next season are 3 pro seasons cause he turned 20 before Jan 1st of 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
I believe Fleury will have to be protected by the time the expansion draft comes. His AHL season last year counts with his pro years. So last year, this year, and next season are 3 pro seasons
I don't think pro has anything to do with it as per the NHL site:

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think pro has anything to do with it as per the NHL sote:

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

As far as I know, the AHL season counts. Look at Hudon for example in the last expansion draft in 2017. As far as I know, any player who played AHL or NHL last year will have to be protected except for Poehling. His situation is unique. He got to burn a ELC year by playing 1 NHL game but his 1st RFA year was not burned. It's the RFA rules that apply to the Expansion draft and those 3 years of "pro" seasons.

99% sure Fleury will have to be protected if it's the exact same rules as the Vegas draft.

Turning 20 before Jan 1st of 2019. If you turned 20 before the new year of 2019 last season and played either AHL or NHL, you will be exposed to the expansion draft. Fleury turned 20 in Nov last season. Poehling turned 20 in Jan so he is exempt.

In order to kick in your 1st RFA year, One of two things need to happen...

1) You play 40 NHL games
or
2) You turn 20 before Jan 1st in any season and you signed your ELC contract before the new year started.

Last edited:
Reactions: stanley25

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
As far as I know, the AHL season counts. Look at Hudon for example in the last expansion draft in 2017. As far as I know, any player who played AHL or NHL last year will have to be protected except for Poehling. His situation is unique. He got to burn a ELC year by playing 1 NHL game but his 1st RFA year was not burned. It's the RFA rules that apply to the Expansion draft and those 3 years of "pro" seasons.

99% sure Fleury will have to be protected if it's the exact same rules as the Vegas draft.

Turning 20 before Jan 1st of 2019. If you turned 20 before the new year of 2019 last season and played either AHL or NHL, you will be exposed to the expansion draft. Fleury turned 20 in Nov last year. Poehling turned 20 in Jan so he is exempt.

In order to kick in your 1st RFA year, One of two things need to happen...

1) You play 40 NHL games
or
2) You turn 20 before Jan 1st in any season and you signed your ELC contract before the new year started.
Just checked cap friendly for the vegas expansion rules and you're right. I for some reason also thought the Seattle expansion was this upcoming offseason.

If all goes as is looks like we'll be protecting Weber, Mete and Fleury in the expansion, as Petry will be a ufa. Which leaves Chiarot, Juulsen, Kulak and Alzner available.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just checked cap friendly for the vegas expansion rules and you're right. I for some reason also thought the Seattle expansion was this upcoming offseason.

If all goes as is looks like we'll be protecting Weber, Mete and Fleury in the expansion, as Petry will be a ufa. Which leaves Chiarot, Juulsen, Kulak and Alzner available.

That's how I see it too as it stands today...

- Weber, Mete, Fleury and we leave Petry exposed. Will be interesting to see the leap frog game Fleury and Juulsen play for the rest of this season and next though! I'm not counting our Juulsen just yet. His progression was similar to Fleury last year but an injury derailed his development. He's got this season and next to get back on track. We are lucky Romanov, Norlinder, Harris, ect are exempt.

- Price. We are lucky Primeau is exempt!

- Domi, Gallagher, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Armia, Danault with one spot left? Tatar or Lehkonen. We are lucky Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield, are exempt.

Not 100% sure Poehling is exempt but I think he is based on what I have looked into. Just not 100% sure.

It might come down to we lose one of Fleury or Juulsen

Reactions: stanley25

Jul 6, 2016

- Weber, Mete, Fleury and we leave Petry exposed. Will be interesting to see the leap frog game Fleury and Juulsen play for the rest of this season and next though! I'm not counting our Juulsen just yet. His progression was similar to Fleury last year but an injury derailed his development. He's got this season and next to get back on track. We are lucky Romanov, Norlinder, Harris, ect are exempt.

- Domi, Gallagher, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Armia, Danault with one spot left? Tatar or Lehkonen. We are lucky Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield, are exempt.

Not 100% sure Poehling is exempt but I think he is based on what I have looked into. Just not 100% sure.

They gonna trade Juulsen to get someone valuable or a high draft pick.

Reactions: Redux91

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009

Agreed and Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Lekhonen and Armia are all Ufa that offseason also.

I'm sure at least 2-3 of those will get extensions but we could also have pre-agreed deal with a player for July 1st saving us an extra spot if we trade for a player.

All in all we're in a pretty good place with the expansion.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed and Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Lekhonen and Armia are all Ufa that offseason also.

I'm sure at least 2-3 of those will get extensions but we could also have pre-agreed deal with a player for July 1st saving us an extra spot if we trade for a player.

All in all we're in a pretty good place with the expansion.

I knew Gallagher, Petry, Danault, and Tatar were UFA but forgot about Armia. Is it possible we protect 1 goalie, 4D, and 4F?

Weber, Mete, Fleury, Juulsen,
Domi, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Drouin
Price

- Petry, Tatar, Danault, Armia as UFA's
- Lehkonen, Chariot, Byron exposed?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They gonna trade Juulsen to get someone valuable or a high draft pick.

Not necessary but possible. We have to let him gain his confidence again so I guess we have this season to evaluate it. Hard to get value if he don't play NHL games for a decent sample size though. However, lets say both Fleury and Juulsen play very well for the rest of this season and next. We could protect 4D. Price, Weber, Mete, Fleury, Juuslen, Domi, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Drouin.

Exposed players would be UFA players in Petry, Tatar, Danault, Armia. And players with contracts are Lehkonen, Chariot, Byron, Kulak.

As it stands now, I don't see us losing a impact player or a player that we need and would leave a big hole.

Jul 6, 2016
Not necessary but possible. We have to let him gain his confidence again so I guess we have this season to evaluate it. Hard to get value if he don't play NHL games for a decent sample size though. However, lets say both Fleury and Juulsen play very well for the rest of this season and next. We could protect 4D. Price, Weber, Mete, Fleury, Juuslen, Domi, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Drouin.

Exposed players would be UFA players in Petry, Tatar, Danault, Armia. And players with contracts are Lehkonen, Chariot, Byron, Kulak.

As it stands now, I don't see us losing a impact player or a player that we need and would leave a big hole.

Those Vegas and Seattle teams are very lucky to be able to build contending teams from Day ONE. Ask Ottawa, TB, Columbus, etc... and all the others before how they have to deal with barrel bottom players when they got their franchise. It's like Colorado getting an instant SC winner out of the Quebec Nordiques.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Those Vegas and Seattle teams are very lucky to be able to build contending teams from Day ONE. Ask Ottawa, TB, Columbus, etc... and all the others before how they have to deal with barrel bottom players when they got their franchise. It's like Colorado getting an instant SC winner out of the Quebec Nordiques.

Bettman is making them pay much more to come into the league however. I believe the Wild and Blue Jackets paid $80M in 2000 and Vegas paid $500M in 2017. Seattle paying $650M?

This is Bettman's way to justify the expansion fee cost IMO. They get to have a competitive team right away

Jul 6, 2016
Bettman is making them pay much more to come into the league however. I believe the Wild and Blue Jackets paid $80M in 2000 and Vegas paid $500M in 2017. Seattle paying $650M?

This is Bettman's way to justify the expansion fee cost IMO. They get to have a competitive team right away

80M $ in 2000 was hefty money back then.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
80M $ in 2000 was hefty money back then.

Not so sure $80M with inflation = $500M, 17 years after? Blue Jackets were worth $315M in 2017. League average was $594.

Not sure what the league average value was in 2000? I believe it was around $150M. Bettman is making Vegas and Seattle pay league average values it appears but both the Wild and Blue Jackets payed half the price

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Do we need to protect him with the expansion? if so we are screwed....no?
Why are we screwed? We would protect 3 of Weber, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury and Chiarot. Petry would be a UFA and it would be incredibly dumb to extend him before the expansion draft.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why are we screwed? We would protect 3 of Weber, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury and Chiarot. Petry would be a UFA and it would be incredibly dumb to extend him before the expansion draft.

If Chiarot is still playing well, we're not exactly screwed, we're just inaa position to lose a good player - albeit one who may not even have a place for too long if 2 of Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, and Harris emerge.

If Chiarot slows down, it's easy to protect Weber, Mete, and Juulsen. If Juuslen emerges those are the three we'll probably protect due to the age of the young two and in Weber's case because of everything he brings.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I believe Fleury will have to be protected by the time the expansion draft comes. His AHL season last year counts with his pro years. So last year, this year, and next season are 3 pro seasons cause he turned 20 before Jan 1st of 2019

Why didn't we just leave Fleury in Juniors/college for an extra year, just like all his fellow 2017 draftees???

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why didn't we just leave Fleury in Juniors/college for an extra year, just like all his fellow 2017 draftees???

Not sure but he did turn 20 in Nov. Would he have been a overager in the CHL last year? I believe so. Did he have anything more to learn in the CHL? A good argument can be made that the answer is no.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure but he did turn 20 in Nov. Would he have been a overager in the CHL last year? I believe so. Did he have anything more to learn in the CHL? A good argument can be made that the answer is no.

41 points in 51 regular season games and 4 assists in 7 playoff games tells me he wouldn't have rotted away playing another year in Junior.
He's only 2 months older than Walford and 7 months older than Josh Brook.
I'd prefer him playing another year in junior than losing him or Juulsen in the expansion draft.

But hopefully we'll be alright either way. Irrespective of the expansion draft, we may have to move an RD before next season just to get Weber, Petry, Fleury, and Juulsen enough playing time. I suspect MB will try to move Juulsen or Fleury for an equal or better young LD. He usually comes out on top of trades.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Because of is birthday he was allowed
because of is birthday he was able to play in the AHL and that where he had the most to learn seem like it was a good move...
To me having played KK more than 40 game is a bigger head scratcher, knowing it impacted is expansion draft eligibility and FA statut.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Because of is birthday he was allowed

because of is birthday he was able to play in the AHL and that where he had the most to learn seem like it was a good move...
To me having played KK more than 40 game is a bigger head scratcher, knowing it impacted is expansion draft eligibility and FA statut.

One helped us win games, the other helped the development team that prioritizes development win games. That's the difference in those two cases.

We'll see at the time of the expansion draft whether having Fleury play 1 year earlier in the AHL was worth it. Same for KK regarding the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad