Post-Game Talk: Exhale (Habs win, losing streak ends)

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
All in all we've played a very good game. But again, we've come a one Jordan Eberle's shot away from blowing this one away again. Is it really necessary to forecheck and pinch so aggressively with a 3-0 lead in the third period?
The forecheck I didn't mind. Sending two forwards in and keeping one in the neutral zone was fine by me. It was the pinching that made me lose it. The first NY goal was a result of Petry stupidly taking a huge risk and pinching on the boards when there was no need to.

Reactions: Archijerej

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Goes to show how crap our division is given we are two points out of a wild card spot and 1 point from #2 in our division (tho Florida has a game in hand) despite this skid. Except for Boston, I think every team within playoff distance has had some major skids which helps.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Boys played well and deserved the W. Of course, they couldn't make it easy on themselves but that's nothing new.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
All in all we've played a very good game. But again, we've come a one Jordan Eberle's shot away from blowing this one away again. Is it really necessary to forecheck and pinch so aggressively with a 3-0 lead in the third period?

Honestly, best way to win is to keep your foot on the gas. I’d rather play to win than to play to not lose. If they sat back, they run the risk of NY finding their game and put us on our heels.

That said, they need to be smarter when pressing. Kotkaniemi made some bad blunders, but all of this is part of the learning experience.

Reactions: paddy

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Nice win against an Islanders team that played the night before.

I thought Peca brought something in the game. He's got that extra gear and could have had a goal. Peca>Hudon easily.

KK played with much more aggression. Still not seeing the big time skill with the stick but for 19 years old he's going up against men and physically holding his own.

Petry looked like he got out of his funk.

Chiarot is playing a lot higher level then before. He's an upgrade on Benn and his last two games he's been one of the best players on the ice.

Oloffson keeps backing into Price instead of fronting him man in the dangerous scoring areas. It's one of the things I emphasized when I coached. The guy is scared to look bad so he keeps backing in.

Reactions: Tuggy and Roadhouse

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The Finnish line was really good last night.

KK is definitely more physical this season. Hopefully the points will start to come but he's playing better.

Reactions: DangerDave

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Great game by most of the team, nice effort in front of the former captains. Hopefully this is their 2nd wind and not a tired Isles team, and hopefully there's a 3rd wind somewhere in there around February or March.

Loved Suzuki's play, but also this camera-focused conversation between KK and Suzuki while Graisse was getting his first equipment tune-up (on the ice). They seemed pumped and KK appeared to talk somewhat quickly in English, I think it's an underrated aspect of progression. Love it.

Same for Gallagher and Petry I believe, last couple of minutes in the game, the camera focused on them during a break on the ice and they looked pretty intense talking to each other with odd side looks to their linemates / pairing partners. A lot better than the Leafs bench at 4-1 last night when I looked.

Reactions: jakobsbror

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Is it weird that Hudon played 8 games this season….8 straight loss.
Take him out of the line-up = Win.

He must not feel really good right now and i think it's the last time we saw Hudon in Montreal.
Don't think it's fair to put all the blame on him but he is basically a pylon on the ice. Can't finish, can't move the puck and can't play well defensively. It's no surprise the 4th line had it's best game since the streak began last.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
The Finnish line was really good last night.

KK is definitely more physical this season. Hopefully the points will start to come but he's playing better.

I hope the Julien keep his mitts off KK. Just let the guy play.

Reactions: Tuggy

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Worst part about the win last night is that nobody is talking about how much BErgevin sucks and needs to go. Everything is honky-dory in the Habs land. Geoff checked his bank account this morning and was happy.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Is it weird that Hudon played 8 games this season….8 straight loss.
Take him out of the line-up = Win.

He must not feel really good right now and i think it's the last time we saw Hudon in Montreal.
That's what we all thought the last time, but he magically reappeared.

Reactions: Milhouse40

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
That definitely was a "feel-good" win, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking Peca is a useful player because we won. He's not. He's a terribly bland player aside from his speed.

Chiarot deserved a star yesterday. He even covered Weber for a couple of errors.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Chiarot played 30:47.

That's an issue. He played well but shouldn't be playing that much. He'll burn out.

Olofsson only played 5:59 and just got sent down to Laval. He's clearly not answer.

Rumors about Gostisbehere but Kulak and Reilly aren't really the answer either.

MB needs to get a LD. It's f***ing ridiculous.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Nice win I guess. Didn't get to see but about 10 minutes that the Isles looked dominant. Could somebody give me a summary? Thanks in advance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad