Examples of Cheating in Hockey?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Okay, the story has changed, but the point remains the other team had to get possession of said ball.

I believe he'd been picked off by the Colts earlier in the season and they noticed it then and prior to the AFC championship alerted the officials to be aware.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Can't really say this is cheating, but I always thought how some arenas that are set up to not let visiting players come and go from their dressing rooms is goofy, yet the home team can come and go as they please. Sometimes good players are stuck waiting on the bench for a stoppage before they can fix equipment or do other things that need to be done in the area they can't get access to during play. Then they have to wait for another stoppage to get back on the ice/bench again. Any new arena made like that I would call it cheating :) For sure, if I built a new arena, I would set it up like that to get the advantage.

I just said the same thing to a friend the other day. IF I built a new rink, I would absolutely do this. A, just because I could. B, because it gives the home team a slight advantage. C, because I'm an ass... plus A and B. :D

spiller19

Sep 23, 2013
Kane faking an injury that just so happens to keep him out until the day the playoffs start so that they Hawks could have wiggle room to add players at the deadline. :sarcasm:

I don't know if that's true or not but if it is that's pretty clever haha

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Prior to, I think, 2005, there were one or two guys on practically every team that used illegal sticks. Tough for me to get outraged at Brady when the same sort of thing was going on in almost every hockey game for about 15 years.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Colin Campbell badgering refs over penalties called on his son's team. Coincidentally, involved another Boston team.

I always wondered if that's why the Bruins acquired little Gregory. I lean towards yes.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
How is this cheating?

A too many men penalty is called whenever a player that's behind the play jumps out and another one jumps in ahead of the play. When it happens without directly involving the play, it's okay. Would be too hard to control anyway. But you can't for instance foil a breakaway by going to the bench and getting a guy jump out at the other end, turning it into a 1-on-1.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
A too many men penalty is called whenever a player that's behind the play jumps out and another one jumps in ahead of the play. When it happens without directly involving the play, it's okay. Would be too hard to control anyway. But you can't for instance foil a breakaway by going to the bench and getting a guy jump out at the other end, turning it into a 1-on-1.

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to go for a change whenever you want...

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Jacques Demers would throw pennies on the ice to give his penalty killers a rest.

Demers said he twice resorted to the tactic last Thursday night.

"They were dropped in front of the bench," Demers said of his ploy with the coins. "They were five pennies. It gave us a little extra time."

Demers said he opened the door to the players' bench and tossed out the pennies after whistles had blown. He said he would not have thought to do such a thing had play been in progress.

"I had one of the players call (referee) Kerry Fraser over to tell them there were pennies on the ice."

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=F78yAAAAIBAJ&sjid=au8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=3771,2685108

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
Esposito was a crafty one with his equipment, though Idk if it was against the rules at the time...

http://www.legendsofhockey.com/Legendsofhockey/Tony Esposito/ate-the mask.htm

i know there was rules about goalie pads back not sure about the other equipment though. Cool Fact most of the goalies in 60's and 70's got there goalie pads handmade by a Emil "pops" kenesky in hamilton. the sports store called Kenesky still exists and has existed for 100 years there is different owners now though.

Ttracer*

spezza got caught with a stick too curved

it goesn't get too crazy

PricePkPatch*

I am pretty sure the discipline prefect interfering with his refs to give better treatment of his son is cheating.

Kind of a disgrace he was allowed to keep his job.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
'Wayne Gretzky' Line change.

When a player comes off the ice during a change, the player he's switching for comes on at the OTHER side of the bench for a 24 foot head start.

Saw this a month or so ago. Face off near the benches. Team wins Dman goes into the bench and forward over the boards on a breakaway. Only thing the forward was too fast and went offsides before he had control of the puck.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
On a different note I'd be curious as to what the PED use rate is among NHL players. They say nobody has been caught but given what we've seen from other sports, I find it hard to believe that every NHLer is squeaky clean.

Players have been caught and suspended, although not many. Sean Hill, Carter Ashton, and Zenon Konopka come to mind.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Any time there is an icing call and players come up with an excuse to go to the bench and get a shield cleaned, skate checked, strap replaced, you name it.

Should be a one-time warning and then a delay of game minor.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Maybe instead three straight icings by the same team in a one-minute span should be considered a delay-of-game bench minor, instead of not allowing substitutions.

The only thing similar to Deflategate that I could see in hockey would be manipulating the temps of the pucks. Maybe "accidentally" pulling the plug on the freezer that holds the pucks, or turning the temperature control up. But that wouldn't do anything except make the pucks harder to control, right?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Sneaking non-frozen pucks out into play would be good, if you had been practicing to play with a bouncy one. Not sure how you'd get that past the refs but who knows. Most anything else isn't really cheating, just a risk for a penalty call.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
Maybe instead three straight icings by the same team in a one-minute span should be considered a delay-of-game bench minor, instead of not allowing substitutions.

The only thing similar to Deflategate that I could see in hockey would be manipulating the temps of the pucks. Maybe "accidentally" pulling the plug on the freezer that holds the pucks, or turning the temperature control up. But that wouldn't do anything except make the pucks harder to control, right?

2 things.

First, both teams play with the same puck so the manipulating team would need to be accustomed to a regular puck (for away games) and the manipulated puck (for home games).

Second, I don't think it would make much of a difference regardless since most players likely grew up hardly ever playing with a frozen puck anyways (seriously, how many of your youth teams froze pucks? Let alone pucks that retained the cold temperature by gametime)

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
gordie howe was very sneaky with elbows and cheapshots, and was rarely penalized for them, so opponents gave him more room on the ice.

HHOF goaler clint benedict cheated by dropping to the ice to stop the puck, which was illegal at the time. he pretended to slip and fall or drop down to his knees to pray so he could more easily cover the lower part of the net. he became nicknamed "praying benny." rule was changed a few years later and dropping to the ice was allowed.

ching johnson, HHOF d-man, was sometimes called "the holding corporation" b/c he was very good at getting away with holding. HHOF d-men doug harvey, hap day and bill quackenbush did the same, as did countless others. day continued that strategy as coach of TML dynasty in '40s.

Esposito was a crafty one with his equipment, though Idk if it was against the rules at the time...

http://www.legendsofhockey.com/Legendsofhockey/Tony Esposito/ate-the mask.htm
i know there was rules about goalie pads back not sure about the other equipment though. Cool Fact most of the goalies in 60's and 70's got there goalie pads handmade by a Emil "pops" kenesky in hamilton. the sports store called Kenesky still exists and has existed for 100 years there is different owners now though.

starting around 15:30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad