Examples of Cheating in Hockey?

Colton2233

Mar 28, 2008
LTIR a player so his cap # goes away so you can add a player at the trade deadline, then come start of playoffs there is no salary cap so LTIR player comes off and begins playing.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
LTIR a player so his cap # goes away so you can add a player at the trade deadline, then come start of playoffs there is no salary cap so LTIR player comes off and begins playing.

If anyone cared about this, it would be illegal already. Not many teams will be keen on putting a guy on the LTIR for such a long stretch, especially since a guy who makes enough to clear a significant amount of space is probably a pretty important part of the team.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Fans have been known to try and point lasers into the eyes of the opposition goalie. I believe Vancouver fans did this to Kipprusoff once

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
It's a minor thing but when Henrik sedin was waved out of a faceoff, he and Daniel would spin around each other a couple of times pretending to strategize. Henrik would then take the faceoff anyway with the linesman thinking it was Daniel.

This one made me laugh. Damn identical twins!

Nylanders Flow

Jun 29, 2014
Semin once picked the puck up and threw it against the Leafs, hit the post and the ref didn't even notice :laugh:

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
This one made me laugh. Damn identical twins!

Never saw that happen. Pretty creative! I'd give it a pass even if I was the other team.

The warmer pucks could be an issue, but you'd boho be playing with the warmer puck.

Maybe excessive tape on a goalies butt-end?

Even the play clock or laser pointer isn't on the team, so hey can't be penalized.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I think it would be pretty hilarious if an NHL team (the home team is responsible for the supply of game pucks IIRC) got caught painting blue 4 oz. pucks black.

Except that they wouldn't get away with it at all because I know from personal experience that I can immediately tell the difference between a regulation puck and a 4 oz. puck just by feel without having the different color tip me off, and I imagine NHL officials are able to as well.

I also can't imagine how using a 4 oz. puck would be an unfair advantage. For one team over the other at least, I'm well aware of the impact it would have on the game, but it would be for both teams equally :P

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Disclaimer: this is pure tin foil speculation.

I've watched the Rangers play a lot of games at the Penguins arena, including playoff games. The ice has usually been pretty good. This was the first year the Penguins were the underdogs and were playing a Rangers team predicated on speed. The ice was awful.

I don't know how you would do that on purpose, but it seemed suspicious to me. Like I said... wiiild speculation on my part.

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012
Don't forget about their stealth / illegal videotaping of the Rams as they did their final walk-thru before the Super Bowl.

Don't forget to do a little research and know what you're talking about. That report was made by an idiot reporter for the Boston Herald, he had no sources, and the Herald then retracted the story and issued an apology.

Good try though!

We really don't know what the Patriots did, because we never seen the evidence. All we know for sure is that all of their Super Bowl wins are tainted.

We do?

The ignorance on spygate is mind boggling. Try reading an entire article one time rather than reading the clickbait titles. If you really think that the patriots filming the Rams coaches from a different vantage point than the Rams were using to tape the patriots signals had any outcome on the game, that's interesting.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

I've watched the Rangers play a lot of games at the Penguins arena, including playoff games. The ice has usually been pretty good. This was the first year the Penguins were the underdogs and were playing a Rangers team predicated on speed. The ice was awful.

I don't know how you would do that on purpose, but it seemed suspicious to me. Like I said... wiiild speculation on my part.

I actually missed every single game of the Pens-Rangers series played in Pittsburgh, but you could soften the ice up and make the puck stick to it more by raising the ice temperature. Or by messing with the settings on the Zamboni. Not saying they did this, just that it's possible. Of course, a lot of factors go into the relative "quality" of an ice surface. Like, here in Phoenix all our local rinks have super soft ice, and I use an incredibly shallow cut on my blades. If I traveled up to Edmonton and didn't have my skates sharpened, I'd probably be slipping quite a bit.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I forget who was doing it, but back in the olden days, Jacques Plante noticed that at one arena, the crossbar on the net hit different spots on his back depending on which end of the ice he was on. He had it checked, and while the warmup nets were the same size, the game net on the side where the home team shot twice was slightly taller, giving the home team slightly more net to shoot at.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
When the NHL reintroduced regular season OT they had teams switch ends before the start of the OT period. But some goalies would chip the hell out of the ice in their crease at the end of regulation to make it harder for their opponents in OT. So that was the end of that. No switching ends after regulation.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
The Habs putting sand outside the Flyers room in the playoffs was pretty blatant. The Flyers skates were so dull they had to leave to get them sharpened constantly.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net

Turn off any dehumidification system and watch the ice slush.

I believe there was a story about a goalie who was traded to the Rangers discovered that the net he'd been minding every time he came to the old Garden was a quarter inch wider than regulation 6'. It was because of how the manufacturer welded the pipes, but still.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
This one is kind of like cheating or atleast abusing the rules to your advantage.

He knocked off the net on a 2 on 0 intentionally, meaning a penalty shot would be awarded for a 1 on 0.

With respect to the Montreal sandgate, I heard rumors of Sather doing that as well during the Oiler's glory days.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Apparently back in the days of the Aud, the Sabres would employ someone to stand behind the opposing team's net, and when the puck was flung around the boards, the guy would kick the base of the boards, causing a weird bounce, ideally into the slot for a scoring chance.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
brett_hull_remembered_for_taintedgoal.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->