Examples of Cheating in Hockey?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
brett_hull_remembered_for_taintedgoal.jpeg

lol, good one. I think that was actually a case of the refs cheating though. They wanted to go home because the games were so boring.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Defenceman Carl Brewer back in the 60's was known to cut the palms out of his gloves to make holding an opponent harder to detect.

http://mapleleafslegends.blogspot.ca/2008/03/carl-brewer.html?m=1

Also, during his time with the Boston Bruins during the late 1960s and 1970s, centre Derek Sanderson had the team trainer stitch his jersey to his pants to stop opponents from pulling the jersey over his face during fights.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
This one is kind of like cheating or atleast abusing the rules to your advantage.

He knocked off the net on a 2 on 0 intentionally, meaning a penalty shot would be awarded for a 1 on 0.

Dominik Hasek did this to the Ottawa Senators in the playoffs some time in the late 90's, but I think it was on a cycle play. I've never been able to find a video of it.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
This isn't so much a thread full of cheating as it is a thread full of brilliant (though kinda dickish) ideas.

But hey, gotta do what works.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
This is one of my favorites, from the old Buffalo Aud: https://buffalo74.wordpress.com/201...ky-palmer-kick-started-the-sabres-of-the-aud/

blurb: "Porky Palmer, a longtime Sabres trainer (until his retirement in 1995), made a habit of situating himself behind the Zamboni door, near the opposition’s net in the first and third periods.

Whenever a puck would slide around the boards in that area, Palmer nonchalantly gave the door a stiff kick, often sending the puck ricocheting right out into the slot in front of an unsuspecting goalie."

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
Dominik Hasek did this to the Ottawa Senators in the playoffs some time in the late 90's, but I think it was on a cycle play. I've never been able to find a video of it.

It happened on April 12, 1997, duing Ottawa's last game of the regular season. The Senators needed a win to secure their first playoff berth. With the game tied 0-0, Hasek went to play the puck behind the net to a defensemen, but Yashin intercepted the pass. Hasek flipped the net over and received a 2 minute minor for delay of game. Ottawa did not score on the power play, but scored a goal with about 4 minutes left in the 3rd period, and won, 1-0. The gfy, taken from the video (at about 1:41), begins in slow motion and is then sped back up.

Also, to another poster: the Brett Hull goal was legal. If you need an explanation about why it was legal, you can read it here. But If you still think, 16 years later, that it wasn't a goal, it's likely that no explanation will change your mind.

PricePkPatch*

It happened on April 12, 1997, duing Ottawa's last game of the regular season. The Senators needed a win to secure their first playoff berth. With the game tied 0-0, Hasek went to play the puck behind the net to a defensemen, but Yashin intercepted the pass. Hasek flipped the net over and received a 2 minute minor for delay of game. Ottawa did not score on the power play, but scored a goal with about 4 minutes left in the 3rd period, and won, 1-0. The gfy, taken from the video (at about 1:41), begins in slow motion and is then sped back up.

I need another definition of cheating, 'cause to me, thats just a clever use of the rule to prevent a goal.

Sort of like the goalie who pushed his net during a 2 on 0. Yhea, you get a penalty, but its better than being outright scored.

For me, cheating is violating the rules in a way that tries to avoid punishment through sneakiness. Maybe if someone bribes the Refs.. Or the Zamboni deliberately missed a spot on the ice to give you and advantage.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I need another definition of cheating, 'cause to me, thats just a clever use of the rule to prevent a goal.

Sort of like the goalie who pushed his net during a 2 on 0. Yhea, you get a penalty, but its better than being outright scored.

For me, cheating is violating the rules in a way that tries to avoid punishment through sneakiness. Maybe if someone bribes the Refs.. Or the Zamboni deliberately missed a spot on the ice to give you and advantage.

I can't remember the players involved, but my Dad once told me about a game where there was a 2-0 break the other way, with some defenseman caught back near the opposition's goal. Knowing there was no way to stop the rush and make up for his error, he went over and punched the goalie in the face. The goalie dropped the gloves and fought him, and because the rule is that a fight blows the play dead, the odd man rush was ended.

Not sure the players involved, just a story my Dad told me once. Obviously a bit of old time hockey he's remembering there haha.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
This one is kind of like cheating or atleast abusing the rules to your advantage.

He knocked off the net on a 2 on 0 intentionally, meaning a penalty shot would be awarded for a 1 on 0.

With respect to the Montreal sandgate, I heard rumors of Sather doing that as well during the Oiler's glory days.

:laugh: love this one

Did they score on the penalty shot?

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa

Also known as cheating.

Didn't look in this thread but Spezza's illegal stick comes to mind:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
A too many men penalty is called whenever a player that's behind the play jumps out and another one jumps in ahead of the play. When it happens without directly involving the play, it's okay. Would be too hard to control anyway. But you can't for instance foil a breakaway by going to the bench and getting a guy jump out at the other end, turning it into a 1-on-1.

you mean these

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
The Rob Ray Rule comes to mind, he used to intentionally rip his pads and jersey off to give the other guy nothing to grab hold of. After he did that a number of times the league made it a rule that you get a game misconduct for not having your jersey properly tied down.

Tavares91Stamkos91

Oct 2, 2013
Vancouver
Billy Smith with his stick and hitting people with the knob of it. I'm pretty sure there was not tape on it either.

And don't forget Pronger and waving his stick in front of Kippersoff:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->