Examples of Cheating in Hockey?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
With the reports that the New England Patriots intentionally tampered with footballs in order to get an edge in play during a playoff game last year, it got me wondering if anything of the sort has happened in the NHL?

I know a few players have been caught using PEDs, but I'm thinking more along the lines of intentionally modifying the puck, the net, or their own equipment (either sticks, skates, or pads) to get an edge in play. Even better if there's an example of it happening in a playoff game.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
With the reports that the New England Patriots intentionally tampered with footballs in order to get an edge in play during a playoff game last year, it got me wondering if anything of the sort has happened in the NHL?

I know a few players have been caught using PEDs, but I'm thinking more along the lines of intentionally modifying the puck, the net, or their own equipment (either sticks, skates, or pads) to get an edge in play. Even better if there's an example of it happening in a playoff game.

Goalie equipment and hockey sticks

Not much more.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
any time someone dives?

That's not cheating if there are rules implemented that can govern that type of action.

Just like using an illegal curve...if you can do it under the risk of taking a penalty, then all the power to you. It's the other team's fault for not calling you out on it.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
That's not cheating if there are rules implemented that can govern that type of action.

Just like using an illegal curve...if you can do it under the risk of taking a penalty, then all the power to you. It's the other team's fault for not calling you out on it.

well how is someone gonna call the patriots out for a deflated ball unless they somehow used one?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Esposito was a crafty one with his equipment, though Idk if it was against the rules at the time...

http://www.legendsofhockey.com/Legendsofhockey/Tony Esposito/ate-the mask.htm

1st Addition - Spider Web

In 1969 Tony added a new piece of equipment to his goalie pants. He sewed a piece of elastic mesh, about 12 X 6 inches, between the legs of his goalie pants. It was basically a web between his legs to eliminate goals through the five hole. During a game a shot caught his web and rebounded back at the opposing player nearly hitting him in the face. It was used until the NHL scrambled to make a new rule outlawing its use.

2nd Addition - Sponge

In order to compensate for the lose of the web between his legs, Esposito decided to sew in two big rolls of sponge (approximately 2 inches wide each) to the inside legs of his goal pants. This would close the five hole when he went down on his knees. Today many of the goalie pants resemble this little innovation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I'm not sure how you can cheat in the NHL anymore. I mean I guess it'd be for illegal goalie equipment but that should be obvious enough to anyone watching and shouldn't be able to sneak past inspectors. Back in Esposito's day, goalie equipment was nearly an afterthought so it makes sense that he'd think of inventive ways to get an advantage. There's not really any other area to improve on though when it comes to goaltending, so I don't know where you'd be able to cheat short of steroids or performance enhancing drugs.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

alright let me explain, your on defense, the offense on another team is using their footballs, footballs only one team uses ( the other team does not use these footballs for offense) how are they gonna know if the patriots are using illegal footballs unless they somehow get their hands on a football? they cant call someone out for a slightly underdeflated football unless the feel it. sticks are easy to see based off curves

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
guys spraying their gloves with something that burns eyes then rubbing someones face in a scrum

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Scotty Bowman allegedly had the opposing locker room painted during the 1996 and 1997 playoffs. For consecutive years Blues players noticed that their locker room at Joe Louis Arena reeked of fresh paint before game 5. In the past two playoffs, the Blues found their locker room reeking of fresh paint. Before and during Game 1 in Detroit last year, the dressing room thermostat was either stuck on hot or cold, depending on what the Blues didn't want.

In the late 90s the Avalanche used a shorter bench on the visitors side to the point where players were uncomfortably jammed together. So the Wings had a small bench made, like 3 feet or so, and brought it with them and put it on the end of the normal bench so their players could have a little more room.

bWo*

Probably. There's no hard evidence

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Can't really say this is cheating, but I always thought how some arenas that are set up to not let visiting players come and go from their dressing rooms is goofy, yet the home team can come and go as they please. Sometimes good players are stuck waiting on the bench for a stoppage before they can fix equipment or do other things that need to be done in the area they can't get access to during play. Then they have to wait for another stoppage to get back on the ice/bench again. Any new arena made like that I would call it cheating :) For sure, if I built a new arena, I would set it up like that to get the advantage.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Scotty Bowman allegedly had the opposing locker room painted during the 1996 and 1997 playoffs. For consecutive years Blues players noticed that their locker room at Joe Louis Arena reeked of fresh paint before game 5. In the past two playoffs, the Blues found their locker room reeking of fresh paint. Before and during Game 1 in Detroit last year, the dressing room thermostat was either stuck on hot or cold, depending on what the Blues didn't want.

In the late 90s the Avalanche used a shorter bench on the visitors side to the point where players were uncomfortably jammed together. So the Wings had a small bench made, like 3 feet or so, and brought it with them and put it on the end of the normal bench so their players could have a little more room.

There's also the classic "3am fire alarm at the visiting team's hotel" that has been employed probably for as long as hockey's been played.

As far as arena advantages go, the Bell Centre's visiting bench is too small to accommodate the visiting team's back up goalie, so they have to sit across the ice where the zamboni comes out. Not a huge deal but some coaches use their backups to track shots or count shifts so maybe a minor inconvenience to some.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Garth Snow's shoulder pads:

The rule book says a goalie ``must not wear any garment or use any contrivance which would give him undue assistance in keeping goal.''
Nolan, who said it looked like Snow had blocks of wood on top of his shoulders, insisted Tuesday that something's fishy with Snow's pads.
``There's a couple of occasions where I thought the puck was going in and it hit and it didn't deflect up, it stopped,'' Nolan said. ``So obviously, there's something.''

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1997/F...shoulders/id-fcc0fd3f707c54e8c5b90985e34dd9d2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad