Former Bruins EX Bruins Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Does anyone know what the situation with Backes is? Is he practicing with Ducks? I ask because thought I heard he might have been assigned for conditioning, but can’t find anything.

Was kind of hoping, given his wishes, that he’d get some games. Obviously he’s been shut down for some time and needs to get in game shape (if indeed that’s ANH’s plans). Just wondered if he’s skating, where, and in what capacity.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Does anyone know what the situation with Backes is? Is he practicing with Ducks? I ask because thought I heard he might have been assigned for conditioning, but can’t find anything.

Was kind of hoping, given his wishes, that he’d get some games. Obviously he’s been shut down for some time and needs to get in game shape (if indeed that’s ANH’s plans). Just wondered if he’s skating, where, and in what capacity.

He’s been practicing since he got there, getting back to game shape.

EDIT:

He was a scratch last night so still up with the Ducks.

Reactions: Lady Rhian
I thought Backes was assigned to the Gulls?

From Saturdays OC Register:
Backes didn’t rule out making his Ducks debut Sunday, when they host the New Jersey Devils at Honda Center. If it doesn’t happen Sunday, then Tuesday against the Blackhawks in Chicago or Wednesday against the Colorado Avalanche in Denver are possibilities.
“I’m kind of leaving it up to him,” Ducks coach Dallas Eakins said the other day when asked when he expected to insert Backes into the lineup. “When you’ve got that much experience, I don’t need to push or prod or hold back. There’s different kinds of players. I just said to him, ‘When you’re ready, you let me know.’

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Yeah but he will fade away as well - I will streak naked at Fenway Park if he ever scores 20 again in a season.

He gets time on Floridas top line with Barkov and Huberdeau. He couldn’t have found a better situation for himself if he had tried.

Reactions: Lo97

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah but he will fade away as well - I will streak naked at Fenway Park if he ever scores 20 again in a season.

Yeah those back to back hat tricks are never coming his way again. Without that, though, he's still looking like 15 goal guy. Hey, if he does hit 20 again we'll need video proof :laugh:

Reactions: Wiggleboom

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Backes didn't want to play center for Boston. Said the system was either too complicated or demanding, or something like that.

Really? I remember when we signed him he talked about being part of the center depth. He even made a comment (wish I could find it) that made it seem like he was under the impression he'd be the #3C behind Bergeron and Krejci.

Reactions: Lo97

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Really? I remember when we signed him he talked about being part of the center depth. He even made a comment (wish I could find it) that made it seem like he was under the impression he'd be the #3C behind Bergeron and Krejci.
I'm googling, but all I'm getting is articles about him being waived and not playing for Boston.
Perhaps I imagined it, but I'll look for a bit more.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm googling, but all I'm getting is articles about him being waived and not playing for Boston.
Perhaps I imagined it, but I'll look for a bit more.

Here is a snippet of what I was talking about. The full article can be found here:

Bruins add to strength with David Backes signing

The question is how they will utilize it.

It was a question that Backes himself asked the Bruins as he went through the process, as he tried to envision how he would fit into a team that seemed set at his spot.

"We talked mostly about me being a center, and through the process I was asking questions and didn't want to pull myself out of being part of the Bruins," Backes said. "But you've got Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci who are top-tier [centers] and they're both right-handed - you're going to bring me in as another right-handed?"

He wanted to know how, exactly, this was going to work. His skepticism was understandable.
The sides also discussed his play on the wing at the end of the season in St. Louis, the success he was able to have at the position, his openness to playing there in the future, perhaps, as Backes mentioned multiple times, on the right side with Bergeron and Brad Marchand.

"Most players would look at it and say, 'Well, you've got Bergeron and Krejci, where am I playing?'" Sweeney said. "David looked at it and said, 'Boy, I get to play with Bergeron and Krejci, whether I'm playing behind them or with them on the wings. He acknowledges like, 'Man, we're a really deep team."

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Playing center - still dont know why Cassidy never went there, seemed like the whole reason to bring him in

Though, as Backes said on Friday, "I'm 32, not 52. I think there's plenty of legs and plenty of physicality and energy left in me, and the term's been something that maybe a few people have questioned, but for me I expect to still be at the top of my game for that last year."

The delusion was already present back then.

"We talked mostly about me being a
, and through the process I was asking questions and didn't want to pull myself out of being part of the Bruins," Backes said. "But you've got Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci who are top-tier [centers] and they're both right-handed - you're going to bring me in as another right-handed
?"
He wanted to know how, exactly, this was going to work. His skepticism was understandable.
The sides also discussed his play on the wing at the end of the season in St. Louis, the success he was able to have at the position, his openness to playing there in the future, perhaps, as Backes mentioned multiple times, on the right side with Bergeron and Brad Marchand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad