Former Bruins EX Bruins Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Boy Backes sure hits his head against the ice there. Hope he’s ok, but boy would I be having serious thoughts about my future. He’s not going to win a Cup in Anaheim and if he keeps getting his head cranked like this I’m not sure he makes it to next years TDL.
If Backes light bulb didn't light up telling him it's time to hang them up well before the TDL.. it never will.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Heinen is doing good with the Ducks 3 pts in 5 games and 2 goals to boot. Good for him.

Backes got an assist on the 1st goal but that hit, man how can his wife watch this stuff and not think long term. Good to see him at center, their depth is nowhere near as good as ours, so he will get icetime. Henrique looks great this year, 25 goals and skates fast. Kase had success with him but needs to slow down with slower Krech.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Which team has the most ex-Bruins?

Anaheim- Backes, Heinen, Irwin
Florida - Vatrano, Acciari, Connolly
Moscow Spartak - Koko, Daugavins, Karsums

who else?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Heinen is doing good with the Ducks 3 pts in 5 games and 2 goals to boot. Good for him.

Backes got an assist on the 1st goal but that hit, man how can his wife watch this stuff and not think long term. Good to see him at center, their depth is nowhere near as good as ours, so he will get icetime. Henrique looks great this year, 25 goals and skates fast. Kase had success with him but needs to slow down with slower Krech.
Only played 6 minutes.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
nothing like denying your team a prime scoring chance by attacking a guy after a clean hit

ehh,

Anaheim is going nowhere and Backes is highly respected and seems to be well liked.

I give Deslauriers credit for that one.

Maybe I look at things different than most...but 10 years from now, when all three are out of the league, Deslauriers can look back on that and feel proud.

A win or loss in this particular game won’t matter.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Here's the roster for that Ducks team. Any guesses as to who the 5 he would protect would be and the potential 6th that OC would have picked?

Anaheim Mighty Ducks 2005-06 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

I'd have protected:

Selanne
S. Neidermayer
Perry
Getzlaf
Giguere

The B's could have walked away with two of: Andy McDonald -- who had 85 and 78 pts. in 2005/06 and 2006/07, Kunitz, Beauchemin, Sykora or Vishnevsky.....plus a prospect and a #1. At the time it looks like Smid was probably their best prospect.

That would have been a pretty good haul.

O'Connell really screwed that trade up.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd have protected:

Selanne
S. Neidermayer
Perry
Getzlaf
Giguere

The B's could have walked away with two of: Andy McDonald -- who had 85 and 78 pts. in 2005/06 and 2006/07, Kunitz, Beauchemin, Sykora or Vishnevsky.....plus a prospect and a #1. At the time it looks like Smid was probably their best prospect.

That would have been a pretty good haul.

O'Connell really screwed that trade up.

I think Burke's offer is terrible for a player of Thornton's age, caliber and pedigree. The way I read it was he was only giving carte blanche on one NHL player not among his 5 protected, then they would have to negotiate on the other 3 pieces.

The key part of the SJ deal was Stuart, just turned 25, who was their best D-man and a guy many thought at the time would be a solid top-pairing guy for years. Sturm to me is at least as valuable as Andy McDonald.

Don't get me wrong, the SJ deal stunk too, but if I was made both offers at the time, I'd take the SJ deal first mostly based on the perceived long-term upside of Stuart.

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
i think it all depends if he would have protected both Getzlaf and Perry. He may not have given where some of the other pieces were in their careers and still relatively young. Ty Anderson wrote about this as well. I don't know how the Ducks felt about them at the time but it's possible we could have gotten Getzlaf. Interesting to say the least. Ty does a good job going through the ripple effect of what happened too.

Ex-Ducks GM Brian Burke recalls Anaheim's 'desperate' pursuit of Joe Thornton

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think Burke's offer is terrible for a player of Thornton's age, caliber and pedigree. The way I read it was he was only giving carte blanche on one NHL player not among his 5 protected, then they would have to negotiate on the other 3 pieces.

The key part of the SJ deal was Stuart, just turned 25, who was their best D-man and a guy many thought at the time would be a solid top-pairing guy for years. Sturm to me is at least as valuable as Andy McDonald.

Don't get me wrong, the SJ deal stunk too, but if I was made both offers at the time, I'd take the SJ deal first mostly based on the perceived long-term upside of Stuart.

Maybe...I mean there's an element of hindsight in mine, but to me:

At the time McDonald looked like he'd be a 70 point guy for a few more years and each of the other options for the 2nd roster guy --- Kunitz, Beauchemin, Sykora or Vishnevsky had careers that were comparable or better than Stuart.

Plus they could have had Smid as well and Anaheim's 1 -- which would have meant possibly getting Giroux or Patrick Berglund (again hindsight, but still a possibility).

Best case:

McDonald, Kunitz, Smid, Giroux blows the Sturm, Primeau, Stuart deal away, IMO.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
It's an interesting exercise if you take the Bruins roster from that season and think about who would have been the five players that the B's would have protected from that roster in a similar situation without the benefit of hindsight.

Bruins 2005-06 Roster

Bergeron, Boyes, Hal Gill, Murray maybe(??)

And in goal...Toivonen and Raycroft were much younger than Thomas...I probably would have protected Toivonen at the time. Oof.

This is why I am neither a GM nor a scout...

Reactions: sarge88

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
People have to remember that Thornton was traded at the end of November in 2005. Here's the production for the team at that point:

NHL.com Stats

S. Niedermayer (32): Goes without saying he's protected. Good start, just signed with the Ducks, and won the Norris in 2003/04. Has the reputation as the 2nd or 3rd best D-man in the league at that point.

Perry (20): 2003 1st round pick, absolutely lit the world on fire in the lockout year in London, and played very well in both the AHL/NHL to that point.

Getzlaf (20): Copy and paste from Perry more or less.

Lupul (22): I don't see any way he isn't protected. 7th overall pick in 2002, really good rookie season in 2003/04, killed it in the AHL in the lockout year, and was 2nd in team scoring at that point.

Selanne (35): 24 points in 26 games albeit coming off an awful 32 points in 78 games in 2003/04. Have to figure that despite his age this start was enough to earn him protection. I do think this is the most questionable protection on this list though.

Best Options

J.S. Giguere (28): I think this is where it gets a bit interesting. The Ducks had split time between Giguere and Bryzgalov exactly evenly through til the end of November, and they had identical stats, both of them were playing very well rocking a .915 save %. Obviously Giguere is the easy guy to protect, he's still relatively young and has an excellent track record at that point already. That being said, if Burke looked over at Boston's roster he would have seen two goalies that he knew Boston saw a TON of potential in in Raycroft, a 25 year old that won the Calder in 2003/04, and Toivonen, a 21 year old athletic freak that despite some iffy play in his early start, was a 1st round pick that looked dominant in the AHL. I bet he rolls the dice and leaves both his goalies exposed, expecting Boston to not go that route despite Raycroft/Toivonen's sub-par start.

Petr Sykora (29): Definitely had a great rep at this time, and at 29 years old there's a really good chance even though he had a slow start.

Andy McDonald (28): He had established himself as an NHL center but he wasn't the 85 point players he'd turn into that season. He was at 17 points in 26 games with Selanne. You have to remember there was so much uncertainty coming out of the lockout so I don't think he'd be seen as an ideal piece.

Vitaly Vishnevski (25): 5th overall pick in 1998, NHL regular for 4 seasons prior. Honestly, I think this is our guy.

Ruslan Salei (31): He played a bigger role than Vish, but is obviously older as well.

I think Dustin Penner would have been more of a prospect. He was literally just called up in the week before the Thornton trade.

I don't think either Fedorov or Beauchemin were in the picture because they were involved in a trade for each other on November 15. From what I remember the Thornton trade was a very quick ordeal so I really don't think either was involved. Beauchemin was such a huge unknown and Fedorov was 36 years old after all.

Kunitz was a waiver wire player at that point so I don't think he's involved.

All the other names seem either too old or not established enough.

All in all, Burke is a clown. These options are terrible.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Yeah, the deal was bad but would've been acceptable if Stuart lived up to his potential and wasn't such a malcontent. He was supposed to develop into a #1 guy, at worst a good #2 like Seidenberg, but he wound up just being a serviceable second pairing guy whose wife bossed him around and demanded they live on the west coast.

Reactions: BruinDust

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
O'Connell wouldn't have taken the Burke deal. He didn't want any futures, he wanted players that were ready to go. Remember, this was a desperation job saving maneuver to make the playoffs that year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's an interesting exercise if you take the Bruins roster from that season and think about who would have been the five players that the B's would have protected from that roster in a similar situation without the benefit of hindsight.

Bruins 2005-06 Roster

Bergeron, Boyes, Hal Gill, Murray maybe(??)

And in goal...Toivonen and Raycroft were much younger than Thomas...I probably would have protected Toivonen at the time. Oof.

This is why I am neither a GM nor a scout...

Don't feel bad, I was a Raycroft guy at the time. When Timmy arrived later in that season, I was like "who is this minor league bum with the strange mask and play-style, get him off my hockey team!" I think I was livid when MOC extended Thomas, and wanted to see Raycroft given another shot at the No.1 job the following season.

Let's just say the following 13-14 years of Bruins hockey would of looked drastically different had I gotten my way back in March/April 2006 and into the offseason. Certainly there would of been no Rask/Thomas era of Bruins goaltending had I been the GM at the time. It would of been Raycroft until he totally flamed out, then who knows.

Reactions: HHHH

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Absolutely. Thornton was the best player in the NHL when the trade happened (well at least when he kicked it up a notch on his new team) Burkes a clown for admitting his top 5 guys were off limits. None of the good players had broken through none did anything before the lockout and Neidermayer and Sellanne had just signed there and were only a few games in. They weren’t a viable trade partner.

It was impossible to predict Stuart being that bad. He wasn’t before the trade. No one knew yet that the game changed and mobility was going to be attribute #1 for d men. Sturm was a proven cost controlled great intangibles second liner.

Punting on Stuart is an underrated move Ference and Kobasew helped right the ship. Thought he sucked even on Detroit. But he was a top 3 pick that had been a first pairing guy since he was a teenager.

Reactions: Lo97 and BruinDust

Ivyy13

Trust and Tradition
Feb 4, 2007
Boston
Colby Cave..

Attachments

• 09C168F8-CBC0-40D6-A49F-E20B22682251.png
    09C168F8-CBC0-40D6-A49F-E20B22682251.png
    274.7 KB · Views: 10

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
RIP Tommy Webster.

Tom Webster, former hockey player and coach, dies at 71 - The Boston Globe

From Kirkland Lake, Ontario, Mr. Webster broke into the NHL as a member of the Boston Bruins, playing a handful of games in the 1968-69 and 1969-70 seasons.

He was claimed by the Buffalo Sabres in the expansion draft of 1970, then sent to the Detroit Red Wings, where he had a breakout season, tallying 30 goals and 37 assists in 78 games in 1970-71.
He played only 12 games for the Red Wings and Golden Seals the following season.

For the Whalers, he had 220 goals and 205 assists in 352 games in six seasons. Most of those games were played after the franchise moved to Hartford. He was inducted into the World Hockey Association’s Hall of Fame in 2012.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Catching up with retired star Jarome Iginla - The Boston Globe

Two years ago, Jarome Iginla wanted to ensure his flame was extinguished, so he took a practice twirl with Providence.

Confirmed. He was done. He later had a partial hip replacement.

But Iginla, who settled his family in Chestnut Hill after retirement, didn’t stay out of rinks for long. For the last three years, he has coached his kids in Boston-area travel hockey. At some point, a men’s league team might even pick up a free agent winger with 625 goals and 1,300 points on his NHL résumé.

“I’m starting to get the itch,” Iginla, 42, said during a lengthy phone conversation this past week. “For a while there, I thought, ‘I don’t want to be out there in beer-league hockey or whatever.’ But I’m starting to see how that could be fun again. The camaraderie. I’m not there yet, I could see it in another few years.”

He won’t have to wait long for a call from Toronto. Iginla, whose career highlight reel won’t include much of his Bruins stint (2013-14), is a lock for the Hockey Hall of Fame, class of 2020.

Not that he’d make the case for himself.

“If I am blessed to get the call and get in there, it would be amazing,” Iginla said. “I think back to playing my first game … I never dreamed I’d get to have my jersey retired in Calgary, or get to play for 20 years. It’s all so humbling.

“I remember being 12 years old, going to tournaments on the bus, watching ‘Don Cherry’s Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Hockey,’ watching Mario Lemieux and Joe Sakic and all the best plays, Cam Neely running over guys and scoring goals.

“I’d be excited. I’ll be nervous whenever that time comes around.”

Reactions: sooshii
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad