Player Discussion Evgeny Kuznetsov

Will Evgeny Kuznetsov be a member of the Capitals next season?

• Total voters

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s over, time to move on.

I hope he uses this as some form of motivation for next year, because he needs something.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ask yourself what Cal Ripken would have done differently. Cal would never have allowed himself to have been in that situation. Maybe he only went where he knew ahead of time who was there and what to expect. Maybe he didn't go out and socialize. The stuff the league and the team didn't condone are the things Ripken wouldn't have done

I really dislike this analogy and this mindset. They're athletes, not robots. They're allowed to go out and live their life without fear of every decision being scrutinized. And just because Cal never got caught doesn't mean he never put himself in a compromising solution.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I really dislike this analogy and this mindset. They're athletes, not robots. They're allowed to go out and live their life without fear of every decision being scrutinized. And just because Cal never got caught doesn't mean he never put himself in a compromising solution.
Not to mention Cal played in an era where there wasn’t constant access to everyone and everything via a smartphone 24/7

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I posted that for a reason. I think Cal like DiMaggio was extreme on the subject of his image. I wouldn't expect normal athletes to behave that way. The question was "what behavior was not condoned?". The answer was whatever Cal wouldn't do. A normal athlete is exposed to this kind of risk. That's the answer to the question.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It's funny how the Caps were celebrated for drinking for a week straight when one Ovechkin keg stand is worse for your health than an 8 ball

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ok....so? Whats your point?
You're the one who brought up Cal. I'm just pointing out how absurd your whole line of thinking is. Baltimore was one of the epicenters of the steroid era in baseball, and Cal was teammates with Brady Anderson, Rafael Palmiero, and David Segui at the very least. Portraying Cal as some saint who would never allow misconduct in his surroundings, and the direct implication that Kuznetsov should be more like Ripken, is just patently absurd.

One is legal and one isnt. Kuzy was sitting on lenthy suspension there.
No NHL player has ever received a lengthy suspension for cocaine, and there have been guys busted for it. Basically the only substance abuse suspensions come when they're in parallel with other issues and repeat offenders. Hell, Ryan Malone got busted for a DUI and possession of cocaine by the cops and wasn't subject to any supplemental discipline by the NHL. Jarrett Stoll also had legal trouble for cocaine, and no suspension there, either. Jori Lehtera got convicted for distributing coke, and the NHL still hasn't suspended him two+ months later.

All of this is much ado about nothing.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Easiest way to eliminate risk is to not put yourself in the situation.

If I'm sitting in a car in a traffic jam technically I "put myself in that position" by being on that road, but I didn't cause the traffic jam. But maybe I learn to take a different route next time.

Kuzy is taking the political approach and saying what he needs to say to make it go away and appear responsible. This is standard "please don't suspend me" non-apologizing in the sports world that means "I did nothing wrong but the people around me apparently did so I accept a limited amount of blame for existing in their proximity". It doesn't mean he knowingly entered into the situation at the time, it means he's learned to be more aware.

Main thread was closed so didn't get to reply to @Dr Chin Richalds

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What's kind of funny/ironic about this situation is if you picked two players on the team least likely to get caught up in a drug controversy I think Kuzy and Nicky would be in the top 3 or 4 betting favorites yet both of them have been caught up in weird situations.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No NHL player has ever received a lengthy suspension for cocaine, and there have been guys busted for it.

Already forgetting Probert....two lengthy stretches of his career lost to two cocaine-related incidents.

The second an entire (shortened) season.

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
I figured the night in question wasn't around the playoffs or finals.

From the Washington Post:
However, according to a person with knowledge of the Capitals’ investigation, the incident actually occurred during Washington’s trip to Las Vegas in early December of this season. That explains why Kuznetsov appears in the video without the beard he sported throughout the playoffs and through the team’s return to Washington and Stanley Cup celebration at Nationals Park two days after the finals concluded.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Spot on, imo. Everything we know about Kuzy screams "intelligent, a bit nerdy maybe, and pretty clean cut". It's possible he wasn't even that aware of how to handle this. How many times had he been in Vegas, particularly after winning a Cup? I'm sure there were a lot of new things happening.
Those who speak Russian know damn well that he's absolutely the opposite of what you wrote especially when it comes to talking to russian reporters. The amount of dumb stuff he says in interviews is mind-boggling.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Those who speak Russian know damn well that he's absolutely the opposite of what you wrote especially when it comes to talking to russian reporters. The amount of dumb stuff he says in interviews is mind-boggling.

I think he's just letting himself speak freely more often than not. Having fun with being honest and speaking his mind. Kinda his type of swagger.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Hah...funny....but how dare you contradict Goon’s fake news!!?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Probably. Still sounds dumb as hell everytime he opens his mouth. Good for him that he made it into this rich life with that level of off-ice intelligence.

Every coach I've heard has talked about how smart he is, so maybe you're just getting silly Kuzy and thinking "I'm smarter than THAT guy".

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Why is anyone accusing Kuznetsov of being stupid in any aspect of his life?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Every coach I've heard has talked about how smart he is, so maybe you're just getting silly Kuzy and thinking "I'm smarter than THAT guy".
I bet all coaches you've heard were caring about hockey stuff he does at which he excels, no doubt about it. I was talking about completely different things but I see you're too into your narrative so I'll leave at that.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Why is anyone accusing Kuznetsov of being stupid in any aspect of his life?

Not sure about who’s accusing him of anything. It was poor judgment there’s no doubt to be caught in that position (doubly worse on video). I’d love to have heard his explanation to his wife that’s for sure lol....you think that was an easy conversation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad