Player Discussion Evgeny Kuznetsov

Will Evgeny Kuznetsov be a member of the Capitals next season?

• Total voters

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Capitals have ridiculous value on all of their top 3 centers. Kuzy at $7.8M, Backstrom st $6.7M, and Eller at $3.5M are all bargains. We weren’t sure about 92’s contract coming into the season but I think he answered any questions about his contract with an exclamation point. He squeezed every dollar he could and then delivered (and then some).

Jun 15, 2007
The Capitals have ridiculous value on all of their top 3 centers. Kuzy at $7.8M, Backstrom st $6.7M, and Eller at $3.5M are all bargains. We weren’t sure about 92’s contract coming into the season but I think he answered any questions about his contract with an exclamation point. He squeezed every dollar he could and then delivered (and then some).
Only overpaid player is Orpik.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
Yeah, that Kuzy contract has aged really well. I remember when he signed thinking he really put us over the barrel with the KHL threat and we had no choice but to overpay, but his play this season validated his contract and then some.

Jun 15, 2007
Someone called me edgy for saying that I don't really care about Kuzy's alleged cocaine usage, especially considering the weeklong booze binge the team went on post Cup. This wasn't me being edgy, this was me being objective.

How scientists rank drugs from most to least dangerous — and why the rankings are flawed

Cocaine is actually less harmful than alcohol in general. Especially if you are rich like Kuznetnov is and can afford the good stuff, not the adulterated stuff.

I'm a pharmacist at a hospital, so I deal with a lot of drug abuse in my line of work. Very few people develop a dependency on cocaine. Crack yes, meth yes, fentanyl big yes. Cocaine is very much mainly a party drug for people who can afford it.

I read some post saying that these allegations must be false because the Caps organization would never tolerate someone doing cocaine and sign him to a long term deal. But how would the Caps even know? Only a small percentage of cocaine users show any problems. Many bankers on Bay street do cocaine in clubs then show up to work the next day a bit tired but mostly fine.

Reactions: Heath

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Someone called me edgy for saying that I don't really care about Kuzy's alleged cocaine usage, especially considering the weeklong booze binge the team went on post Cup. This wasn't me being edgy, this was me being objective.

How scientists rank drugs from most to least dangerous — and why the rankings are flawed

Cocaine is actually less harmful than alcohol in general. Especially if you are rich like Kuznetnov is and can afford the good stuff, not the adulterated stuff.

I'm a pharmacist at a hospital, so I deal with a lot of drug abuse in my line of work. Very few people develop a dependency on cocaine. Crack yes, meth yes, fentanyl big yes. Cocaine is very much mainly a party drug for people who can afford it.

I read some post saying that these allegations must be false because the Caps organization would never tolerate someone doing cocaine and sign him to a long term deal. But how would the Caps even know? Only a small percentage of cocaine users show any problems. Many bankers on Bay street do cocaine in clubs then show up to work the next day a bit tired but mostly fine.

No I called your comment edgy for trying to dismiss cocaine use/abuse as similar to drinking and celebrating something like a career defining, franchise first championship.

And the fact that you work with drugs but don't understand the addictive or harmful nature of cocaine is particularly disturbing. It sounds like you don't know what you're talking about or are in denial for some reason.

Can you cite a legitimate scientific source? Because it sounds like you're about 40 years behind.

The Neurobiology of Cocaine Addiction

There are well-known neurological and genetic effects as well as clear indications of addictive potential in those with opportunity and genetic predisposition. Just because you can't observe "problems" in people you encounter casually doesn't mean they aren't there. Functioning alcoholics exist, too.

Point: The fact that cocaine addiction depends largely on financial means is one reason to be concerned about a rich athlete possibly doing it.

Reactions: Corby78

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Oh and from your Vox link (lol) among the many criticisms of the study cited:

The analysis doesn't fully account for a drug's legality, accessibility, or how widely a drug is used. If heroin and crack were legal and more accessible, they would very likely rank higher than alcohol. The harm score for marijuana would also likely rise after legalization, but probably not too much since pot use is already widespread.

The same would surely hold true for cocaine.

Jun 15, 2007
No I called your comment edgy for trying to dismiss cocaine use/abuse as similar to drinking and celebrating something like a career defining, franchise first championship.

And the fact that you work with drugs but don't understand the addictive or harmful nature of cocaine is particularly disturbing. It sounds like you don't know what you're talking about or are in denial for some reason.

Can you cite a legitimate scientific source? Because it sounds like you're about 40 years behind.

The Neurobiology of Cocaine Addiction

There are well-known neurological and genetic effects as well as clear indications of addictive potential in those with opportunity and genetic predisposition. Just because you can't observe "problems" in people you encounter casually doesn't mean they aren't there. Functioning alcoholics exist, too.

Point: The fact that cocaine addiction depends largely on financial means is one reason to be concerned about a rich athlete possibly doing it.

Where are you getting this from? I never said cocaine addiction isn't real or that it isn't a problem. There's no evidence he's addicted to cocaine just because he's in a video with some cocaine.

And you completely missed the point about observing cocaine problems. Someone said the Caps would know if he was a cocaine user. The point was that the Caps wouldn't know.

Jun 15, 2007
Oh and from your Vox link (lol) among the many criticisms of the study cited:

The analysis doesn't fully account for a drug's legality, accessibility, or how widely a drug is used. If heroin and crack were legal and more accessible, they would very likely rank higher than alcohol. The harm score for marijuana would also likely rise after legalization, but probably not too much since pot use is already widespread.

The same would surely hold true for cocaine.
I am not talking about social harm obviously. I am talking about dependence and harm to himself. Legality has nothing to do with that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I am not talking about social harm obviously. I am talking about dependence and harm to himself. Legality has nothing to do with that.

Wait, what? Did you read the blurb from your own article, that I pasted for you?

Of course legality will affect abuse because it creates greater opportunity and reduces barriers to entry. It also generally drives down price, which makes it more accessible, which again per your article and the study would likely make these "rankings" change dramatically.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I may be gullible and naive, but I buy his story. He's not a huge party guy, he was largely MIA during the post-Cup celebrations, he hasn't been seen out on the time living it up during the playoffs/season (unlike the Young Guns), and his reputation doesn't really corroborate the story. There are like 10 guys on the team I'd believe this about, he's not one of them.

I'm just saying I'm just an ordinary schmuck and I can absolutely empathize with the idea of being in a place and watching some people break out some stuff that you are not about. I would imagine being rich and famous increases this exponentially.

If memory serves me correctly he's one of the few Russian's we have that actually comes from humble beginnings. I think his persona seems to reflect that, also many an athlete from similar backgrounds will tell you that friends from growing up will latch on like parasites. Given his story it sounds like a friend was trying to blackmail him.

Reactions: 43sfriends and g00n

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You better have your head

The nose is a big part of the equation too

Artie Lange knows
10e1538b8d99f9f8517fd4819d050628.jpg

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I may be gullible and naive, but I buy his story. He's not a huge party guy, he was largely MIA during the post-Cup celebrations, he hasn't been seen out on the time living it up during the playoffs/season (unlike the Young Guns), and his reputation doesn't really corroborate the story. There are like 10 guys on the team I'd believe this about, he's not one of them.

I'm just saying I'm just an ordinary schmuck and I can absolutely empathize with the idea of being in a place and watching some people break out some stuff that you are not about. I would imagine being rich and famous increases this exponentially.

If memory serves me correctly he's one of the few Russian's we have that actually comes from humble beginnings. I think his persona seems to reflect that, also many an athlete from similar backgrounds will tell you that friends from growing up will latch on like parasites. Given his story it sounds like a friend was trying to blackmail him.

Spot on, imo. Everything we know about Kuzy screams "intelligent, a bit nerdy maybe, and pretty clean cut". It's possible he wasn't even that aware of how to handle this. How many times had he been in Vegas, particularly after winning a Cup? I'm sure there were a lot of new things happening.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006

That's a ridiculous mischaricterization of my (now deleted) post. I didn't say Kuznetsov did not do cocaine in Vegas or any other time, I said the guys in the room, including straight-laced Trotz, knew Kuzy well before the extension, and it was unlikely they would make that kind of commitment to him if he was a coke head.

Reactions: 895 and txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's a ridiculous mischaricterization of my (now deleted) post. I didn't say Kuznetsov did not do cocaine in Vegas or any other time, I said the guys in the room, including straight-laced Trotz, knew Kuzy well before the extension, and it was unlikely they would make that kind of commitment to him if he was a coke head.

I believe that Kuzy's intensity and therefore performance is unreliable. I don't believe that guy is a coke head. I don't believe he is stupid enough to do coke in public surrounded by people he doesn't know.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It's not a good look to be in a room with drugs lying on the table, but has there even been any confirmation it's his drugs? You'd think that he never expected that video to go in public, and someone just wanted to cash in or hurt him with that. Had he been snorting it surely they'd have that video instead of him checking his phone out.

To be honest i couldn't care less if it's his or not. He's a professional hockey player that just won the Stanley Cup in Las Vegas. It's a bad look to go out in public but i doubt in terms of peers many are that shocked about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad