Player Discussion Evgeny Kuznetsov

Will Evgeny Kuznetsov be a member of the Capitals next season?

• Total voters

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Plus I think NB has probably peaked while Kuzy is in need of a bounceback season.

Backstrom doesn't have to show much during regular season. He can sleepwalk until playoffs for all I (and most here) care. So Kuzy should be the pick for fantasy.

Reactions: g00n

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Backstrom maybe could sleepwalk but he won't. What he does is more important than what Kuzy does. He is effectively Vice Captain behind Ovechkin. He isn't going to slack. If Kuzy played like that, the Caps would be in great shape.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Backstrom maybe could sleepwalk but he won't. What he does is more important than what Kuzy does. He is effectively Vice Captain behind Ovechkin. He isn't going to slack. If Kuzy played like that, the Caps would be in great shape.

Vrana struggling + Backstrom not on all cylinders +old man Oshie= easily less than 70 pts

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Oshie at 33 is suddenly an old man playing alongside 32 year old Backstrom?
Yeah.
Ovechkin is much slower now. Oshie lost a step too. Nicky never was fast and doesnt do full throttle often.

If Caps have enough points and they all have career average SH%, Id expect less points overall. Why would they up their game in RS? Less TOI for them is better for playoffs.

Kuznetsov is positioned to have more points, and thats my answer for fantasy question.

There is nothing about quality of play in this. Just veteran guys waiting for Spring.

This past season Backstrom upped his game significantly in playoffs. Historically he wasnt on this level, his playoff ppg was lower by a good margin.

Im totally behind this new Backstrom. Also I can see Vrana scoring 30, Oshie too, Backstrom getting 90 points or whatever.

He just doesnt need that unlike Kuzy.

And - I will state it for 4th or 5th year in a row - Kuzy's younger faster legs is whats required to beat 99.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Kuzy has an on/off switch that drives me crazy. I don’t think he himself even knows how incredible he could be if his head was always in it - we got a glimpse of that last year when we won the cup. Kuzy’s god mode is easily one of the most dangerous players in the league because of his mix of playmaking and scoring capabilities.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He knows...he also knows it’s that much harder giving his all.

The difference in good and great is often desire.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Oshie at 33 is suddenly an old man playing alongside 32 year old Backstrom?
Backstrom is a "cerebral" player who relies on his vision, hockey IQ, and passing to make himself effective. Oshie is a guy who earns his money through hustle and driving the dirty areas of the ice. Oshie was never the most fleet footed player to begin with, and him continuing to slow down will hurt his game significantly more than Backstrom's. Backstrom has the potential to remain effective into his mid or even later 30s, while Oshie is in the mold of players who tend to age poorly and rapidly.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think text translation is pretty decent.

Google Переводчик

Some great quotes in there, like these :

About JC and the literary character Carlson
I didn’t tell ( smiles ). I think he hardly knows. We only learn swear words. Why talk about good things?

About physical hockey:
The question here is how many creative hockey players the coach wants to see in the team, and how many people will carry the piano.

About Ovi:
You think that this is just your friend, a teammate, and then you look at the statistics: I play almost with Jesus. I think that hockey players like Sasha in my life I will definitely never see again.

Kuzy rocks!:yo:

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Curious what people think about eventually moving Kuzy to wing, in the event, say, McMichael is ready for a 3rd line center role next season. Helps hide his defensive deficiencies a little and, equally importantly, getting out of "playmaker mode" might convince him to use his skating to get shots off rather than putz around with the puck.

OV-Backstrom-Wilson
Vrana-Eller-Oshie
Kuzy-McMichael-?

Has the potential to be an impressive top 9, of course depending on how McMichael's game translates and how Kuzy handles it.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Curious what people think about eventually moving Kuzy to wing, in the event, say, McMichael is ready for a 3rd line center role next season. Helps hide his defensive deficiencies a little and, equally importantly, getting out of "playmaker mode" might convince him to use his skating to get shots off rather than putz around with the puck.

OV-Backstrom-Wilson
Vrana-Eller-Oshie
Kuzy-McMichael-?

Has the potential to be an impressive top 9, of course depending on how McMichael's game translates and how Kuzy handles it.
92 will play center on the first line the next five years or more. Learn to leave with it.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

OV-Backstrom-Wilson
Vrana-Eller-Oshie
Kuzy-McMichael-?

Nah, I think Kuzy's deficiencies would get far more exposed as a wing, and I don't know what happens to his offense. And CMM will probably himself need a couple of strong two-way players to start playing with.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If trading Kuzy was an option surely they could fix his deficiencies. But in reality they have to play him at C and hope for the best.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

OV-Backstrom-Wilson
Vrana-Eller-Oshie
Kuzy-McMichael-?

From Conn Smythe level 1C to 3rd line wing being propped up by a rookie? My how the Kuzya has fallen.

I'd rather he just start doing coke again :D

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I heard 1000 of times about Kuzys famous ''defensive deficiencies'' as it was an evidence. Just interested how is it possible that opponents score as much goals against every Caps top-6 forward Backstrom included as they score against Kuzy?

Last year TR tried to play Kuzy on PK. He does know hockey better than ~100.000000% of posters here. But logically it is/was not evident for him that Kuzy can't play defense.

Conclusion: Kuzys famous ''defensive deficiencies'' are 99.999999% ignorance/stupidity/xenophobia.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
To play defense you need will, physicality, smarts and to move your legs. Being weak physically is not a good thing to any defense. Kuzy is weak and lacks will to move his legs more in DZ. Even if he understands whats need to be done (not apparent if you look at the last 3on5 goal against NJ), he doesnt do that. We, who know hockey worse than him, can see that.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
To play defense you need will, physicality, smarts and to move your legs. Being weak physically is not a good thing to any defense. Kuzy is weak and lacks will to move his legs more in DZ. Even if he understands whats need to be done (not apparent if you look at the last 3on5 goal against NJ), he doesnt do that. We, who know hockey worse than him, can see that.

So, if you do not have the magical 'will', fascinating 'physicality', miraculous 'smarts' nor the spooky 'leg moves' opponents score more goals against you. Or is it just a dull joke?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad