Evgeni Malkin on a western team

Scrobble

Jul 11, 2013
ITT: Some western conference fans being really delusional about the difference between the conferences. The west is better but not by that much.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Except 2011-12 season

Also known as the year he won the Art Ross, the Hart, and the Lindsay.

Marleau + Couture + Burns for Malkin + D-prospect

Why does SJ do this? They havnt won with this core.... they've had some very good years and still cant get over the hump. Its time for a change. Yes they give up a lot but they get the best player in the game (arguably.... definitely top 3). Their top 6 poat trade still sports Pavelski, Thornton, Malkin and Hertl. 4 Very good players...

Why do the Pens do this?
Pitts gets a great young 2C and a vet Winger to play with Crosby. Seriously, Marleau would score 50 goals on his wing.
Burns can play forward for depth or back on D if needed... gives Pitts tons of versitility.

Marleau is old but still effective and locked up for a few more years. Burns is in his prime and locked up. Couture is still young.

The depth they have after this trade is enough to carry them to the cup. I think they'd be clear favorites.

They don't. The Pens have already proven they can win with their core. Coaching, needing some upgrades to depth players and a couple of MAF collapses is what's held them back from doing it again. Malkin is about the furthest thing there is from a reason they haven't won again. I don't really care how anyone tries to justify it, it makes no sense for the Pens to trade Malkin.

Besides, how are the Pens supposed to fit all of those players under the salary cap? They'd be sending out Malkin's $9.5M and taking $18.5 back. How does that work?

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Malkin is a top 3 player on the planet...he'd demolish the West like he can in the East..dont kid yourself.

Malkin in Chicago :amazed:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
He hasn't scored 90 pts since 09

Nope. 109 points in 75 games 2011-2012. One of the more dominant offensive seasons in recent memory.

Malkin would be the offensive beast that he is no matter what conference he played in.

Fun fact the last players to score 90 points or more for a western conference team are Corey Perry, and Henrik Sedin in 2010-2011.

Fergus

Feb 16, 2014
Malkin is a top 3 player on the planet...he'd demolish the West like he can in the East..dont kid yourself.

Yeah, no.

Career PPG in the East: 1.26, West: 1.06.
Crosby in East: 1.43, West: 1.24.

West is clearly superior. Deal with it.

penguins2946*

Malkin would be the undisputed #1 player in the world if he played for Nashville I feel like. Luckily, he doesn't and the Pens have both.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Yeah, no.

:laugh: what western conference players score at this rate? Thornton, and Getzlaf have the highest points per game average among western conference forwards at .96, and .98.

The west may be the better conference, but Malkin is a superior scorer to anyone in the west.

Fergus

Feb 16, 2014
:laugh: what western conference players score at this rate? Thornton, and Getzlaf have the highest points per game average among western conference forwards at .96, and .98.

The west may be the better conference, but Malkin is a superior scorer to anyone in the west.

I didn't say he isn't but he wouldn't produce at the same rate in the West.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I've always thought Parise would be a lethal linemate for an elite center. His motor and puck retrieval skills would be a perfect fit with Malkin. Put Vanek on the other wing and that's a scary line. Put Granlund and Koivu in more appropriate middle sox center spots and surround them with some combination of Pominville, Niño, Coyle and Zucker.

The Wild have to be up there for teams who would benefit most with Malkin and teams he would do the best with. We have so many too wingers...and a legit No. 1 center like Malkin would be just the thing we need. But we never have Russians and Malkin will likely never be moved so this is a pipe dream.

He shoulda gone to Detroit then!

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
What's up with the West homers? Team homers I can understand but Conference homers?

Strange concept. My guess is its for people who's team isn't doing well, so gotta support the conference. Everybody wants to have something to be proud of I guess.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
Yeah, no.

Using his career splits against teams he would be averaging 101-102 pt seasons in east (which is in line with his actual stats) and 94-95 pt seasons in west. While it is a small drop in production I think that still could be seen as "destroying the conference".

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Using his career splits against teams he would be averaging 101-102 pt seasons in east (which is in line with his actual stats) and 94-95 pt seasons in west. While it is a small drop in production I think that still could be seen as "destroying the conference".

Not to mention as he got some familiarity with the teams and goalies his scoring would probably increase. Then again, if he's ever traded West he'd probably just flee back to Russia in a state of panic so the point is probably moot.

Acquizitor*

So much fantasy here.

My favourite player doesn't have the balls to be the centre of the first line on any team, instead he prefers to live in the shadow, to play with ****** wingers, to waste the last years of his prime while forgetting the male instinct which is "I want to be the best". Thats how he'll go down in history, as a shadow.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
So much fantasy here.

My favourite player doesn't have the balls to be the centre of the first line on any team, instead he prefers to live in the shadow, to play with ****** wingers, to waste the last years of his prime while forgetting the male instinct which is "I want to be the best". Thats how he'll go down in history, as a shadow.

Hilarious! He is the best, what's the problem? Maybe in Belgium and HF boards its an issue, but here, in Pittsburgh, he is in no one's shadow.

I guess he should play for the team you support and then everything would be alright then. This tired old argument amuses me, it really does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad