Evgeni Malkin on a western team

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Fair enough. I don't think he's among the dirtiest in the league or anything but he definitely plays on the line all the time and crosses it quite a bit. My friend and I are Pens STHs and any time Malkin is on the ice we watch him even if the puck has moved to the other end because we know a lot of times he'll be shoving or hacking away at somebody behind the play.

So yeah, I think he'd fit in fine with any level of toughness. He's got a mean streak a mile wide and more often than not the madder he gets the better he plays (though he'll also take a dumb retaliatory penalty from time to time, but he'll do his best to take someone with him).

He should have taken a page from Evgeni Nabokov, and changed his named to "John" before entering the league, hoping to fool some people. Those things would be praised if he were a Canadian, and not a moody, petulant Russian.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Well, leaving aside all the obvious reasons why this is unrealistic to the max, and just answering your question: Without giving up yore pieces (and even fitting the cap, yay!) Nashville and Malkin would be a match made in heaven. And this is only 5% tops because of Neal, it just is the only correct answer here. Team that needs exactly one thing, thing is awesomesauce Russian 1C.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I actually think he'd handle injury fill-in duty quite well on the Kings. Depends on who he'd play with though, obviously.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Malkin is the dirtiest superstar there is in the league currently, and that's coming from a Pens fan. He's not afraid of physical play before or after the whistles. He's a big guy and he hits like a truck when he gets going. I seriously doubt he'd be so intimidated in the West that he'd suddenly drop 30-40 points.

I think the hypothetical ideal team for him in the West would be Nashville. They seem like a team that always has the pieces to be successful except for a top end center. And he'd be reunited with his buddy James.

You forgot his eternal rival ;)

http://www.russianmachineneverbreak...es-olympic-teammate-evgeni-malkins-wrist-gif/

Ralphy*

Malkin would fit with the Stars the best.

but in reality any team would fit well with him he is a superstarr

He would fit the team with two fantastic centres already the best?

I really don't see how he fits Stars better than:
Nashville
St. Louis
Chicago
Calgary
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Colorado
Arizona
Edmonton

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I've always thought Parise would be a lethal linemate for an elite center. His motor and puck retrieval skills would be a perfect fit with Malkin. Put Vanek on the other wing and that's a scary line. Put Granlund and Koivu in more appropriate middle sox center spots and surround them with some combination of Pominville, Niño, Coyle and Zucker.

The Wild have to be up there for teams who would benefit most with Malkin and teams he would do the best with. We have so many too wingers...and a legit No. 1 center like Malkin would be just the thing we need. But we never have Russians and Malkin will likely never be moved so this is a pipe dream.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
If Malkin arrived in LA we would put our shoot-first, ask questions later guys on a line with him. You think James Neal had good seasons with Geno, wait'll you see Toffoli and Pearson, the new That 70s Line.

We'd deal Nolan to Pittsburgh for a pick so there's no jersey number issues. :)
Carter for Malkin. :nod:

Pitt says no obviously.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I was being quite sarcastic in my response to the other poster's claim of Malkin suddenly becoming a 60-70 point player.

Because you know the west is a war zone. It's a miracle west conference players are able to make it to the planes after the game :sarcasm:

Alas, I too was being sarcastic. I in no way believe Malkin would drop down to 60 points in the West. He'd easily be the West's highest scorer.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
He'd put up a lot of points but his team wouldn't have much success without a 2C that can carry the defensive load. That's how you succeed in the West

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Every team would love to have him. The western teams that can use him the most IMO are as followed

Predators they have a great blueline and a great goalie adding a great center like Evgeni Malkin would make them a huge huge huge threat to win the Stanley Cup.

Wild could really really use Evgeni Malkin to help boost their power play and make the team a dangerous threat.

Jets they are one of the lowest scoring team in the NHL and adding Evgeni Malkin would be a huge offensive boost that should be able to help get them into the playoffs.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lol. This thread.

Malkin would be the best player in the west. He'd be a franchise player on every team.

Scrobble

Jul 11, 2013
20 points max and -40 player. The team led by him wouldn't make the playoffs in the west because it's so unbelievable tough as shown by any game played between a western and an eastern conference team. West crushes the east in all those games and if they lose to an eastern team it's only because they didn't care about the game or were injured and tired!

:sarcasm:

GingerNinja03

Nov 22, 2013
One of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

Arguably top 3 player in the world, consistent 90-100 point player moves to the West and suddenly becomes a "decent 1st liner" and drops 40% of his points? What a joke. The guy isn't 5ft6. He's a big, strong player who lays out big hits. Do you even watch hockey??
He hasn't scored 90 pts since 09

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Marleau + Couture + Burns for Malkin + D-prospect

Why does SJ do this? They havnt won with this core.... they've had some very good years and still cant get over the hump. Its time for a change. Yes they give up a lot but they get the best player in the game (arguably.... definitely top 3). Their top 6 poat trade still sports Pavelski, Thornton, Malkin and Hertl. 4 Very good players...

Why do the Pens do this?
Pitts gets a great young 2C and a vet Winger to play with Crosby. Seriously, Marleau would score 50 goals on his wing.
Burns can play forward for depth or back on D if needed... gives Pitts tons of versitility.

Marleau is old but still effective and locked up for a few more years. Burns is in his prime and locked up. Couture is still young.

The depth they have after this trade is enough to carry them to the cup. I think they'd be clear favorites.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad