Evgeni Malkin on a western team

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Just deleted all nineteen responses.

This isn't the Lounge. Answer the question, or move to the next thread.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
He'd be a 60-70 point player. A decent 1st liner, but he couldn't take the physicality and defensive play of the west.

Ralphy*

He'd be a 60-70 point player. A decent 1st liner, but he couldn't take the physicality and defensive play of the west.

:laugh: I'm not even a Malkin fan, but that's a silly thing to say. Dude can get pretty physical.

I'm sure if the Sedins can dominate in the West for most of their careers, Malkin would be just fine.

Reactions: sanscosm

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I don't really see how a team would acquire Malkin without giving up any core pieces. Malkins don't grow on trees.

And lol at the guy above me saying he'd be a 60 point player. Malkin is a physical beast, that's one of his best assets. He would do just fine in the west. People keep making this absurd east vs west claims, does ANYONE have a shred of evidence to back up statements like the one above? I thought not.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
People say the west is more physical, but that's probably just because LA has a rough image and has 2 cups. Is the west actually more physical? Has any one perused the data?

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I don't really see how a team would acquire Malkin without giving up any core pieces. Malkins don't grow on trees.

And lol at the guy above me saying he'd be a 60 point player. Malkin is a physical beast, that's one of his best assets. He would do just fine in the west. People keep making this absurd east vs west claims, does ANYONE have a shred of evidence to back up statements like the one above? I thought not.

This

If we're doing that, can't we keep him in Pittsburgh, and add Evander Kane for free to play with Malkin?

Reactions: AlwaysSunnyInTampa

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Anyone acquiring him would severely be knee-capping themselves by trading half their assets away...but taking that out of the picture Chicago, Nashville, and Dallas pop into mind instantly as good fits.

And yes, Malkin instantly becomes the best player in the Western Conference in this hypothetical scenario. Arguing that a 6'3" guy who averages more than a PIM a game in his career couldn't handle the physicality of the west...yeah.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
People say the west is more physical, but that's probably just because LA has a rough image and has 2 cups. Is the west actually more physical? Has any one perused the data?

Panthers looked much more physical than Blues last night, that's for sure.

Ralphy*

Obviously this doesn't tell the full story, but the whole "WEST IS SO MUCH TUFFER!" argument's a little ridiculous, as 4 of the top 5 and 15 of the top 20 hitters in the NHL are from the East.

SAnuck

Nov 25, 2013
Vancouver Island

One of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

Arguably top 3 player in the world, consistent 90-100 point player moves to the West and suddenly becomes a "decent 1st liner" and drops 40% of his points? What a joke. The guy isn't 5ft6. He's a big, strong player who lays out big hits. Do you even watch hockey??

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Anyone acquiring him would severely be knee-capping themselves by trading half their assets away...but taking that out of the picture Chicago, Nashville, and Dallas pop into mind instantly as good fits.

And yes, Malkin instantly becomes the best player in the Western Conference in this hypothetical scenario. Arguing that a 6'3" guy who averages more than a PIM a game in his career couldn't handle the physicality of the west...yeah.

Which western team would he fit better? (without removing core pieces from these teams).

See...they're not trading pieces away. They are either getting him for scraps, or nothing, just the Penguins kindness. Completely realistic exercise.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

Yeah I'm not so sure. The West is still kicking the East's butt in general, but I think it's more an issue of the Western teams having more skill.

I think Malkin would be fine on a Western team, but I really can't see any situation where he gets dealt.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
So if Malkin can only score 60-70 in the West. That must mean a guy like Toews would easily score 113 points in the soft soft east.

I was being quite sarcastic in my response to the other poster's claim of Malkin suddenly becoming a 60-70 point player.

Because you know the west is a war zone. It's a miracle west conference players are able to make it to the planes after the game :sarcasm:

moomoosoup

Oct 8, 2014
Under the hypothetical that the team doesn't lose pieces in getting him, he would make Nashville stellar. Chicago could always use him, but that much star power on Chicago is just gross so I refuse to endorse it lol

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah I'm not so sure. The West is still kicking the East's butt in general, but I think it's more an issue of the Western teams having more skill.

I think Malkin would be fine on a Western team, but I really can't see any situation where he gets dealt.

Skill is not the word I'd use. I'd say depth. The East has most of the top end talent, but also has the worse bottom 6 players.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
If Malkin arrived in LA we would put our shoot-first, ask questions later guys on a line with him. You think James Neal had good seasons with Geno, wait'll you see Toffoli and Pearson, the new That 70s Line.

We'd deal Nolan to Pittsburgh for a pick so there's no jersey number issues. :)

Ralphy*

Skill is not the word I'd use. I'd say depth. The East has most of the top end talent, but also has the worse bottom 6 players.

Coaches are key, too. Aside from Babcock, the West has some of the best coaches in the NHL in Quenneville, Hitchcock, and Sutter. Boudreau's good too, actually.

AJRAYMOND

Jun 13, 2009
Canada
I would love to see a trade straight up for Toews to get Malkin out of Pittsburgh. Put Malkin on Chicago and he'd still be putting up huge points. The problem for him is Chicago actually shares the PP time. Right now next to Seguin, Malkin is playing the best in the league. It is a travesty to see the wingers this guy plays with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad