Evgeni Malkin on a western team

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Him and Kane together would be something to see. Kane would be feeding him saucers all game long.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
He would be like Seguin. Only better goalscorer, playmaker and flat out more dominant overall player.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
0 Points. He would get injured first shift because of the "truculence" of the Western conference. Directly after he shat his pants playing Toews who is obviously a better player.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Malkin would be a 60-70 point player in the West, where everyone is enormous and totally totally mean. :laugh:

I would love to see a trade straight up for Toews to get Malkin out of Pittsburgh. Put Malkin on Chicago and he'd still be putting up huge points. The problem for him is Chicago actually shares the PP time. Right now next to Seguin, Malkin is playing the best in the league. It is a travesty to see the wingers this guy plays with.

Except why would Pittsburgh do that? And what does "Chicago actually shares the PP time" mean?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'd love to see Malkin in the West. He's a very dirty and hard nosed player. He'd scare the **** out of the supposedly TOFF Western teams. It'd be hilarious to watch that meme die the death it deserves.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
He's so good it's hard to pick one team over another since he'd help them all so much.

He'd make the Canucks cup contenders(depending on the defence) by giving them a legit #1 line and could slot the Sedins into the second line where they belong.

It would be interesting how fast he'd help the Oilers turn it around.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
I don't really see how a team would acquire Malkin without giving up any core pieces. Malkins don't grow on trees.

It's not a trade proposal, it's just a hypothetical discussion: which coach/system/teammates would he fit better, let's say, STL under Hitch or NSH under Lavi. Or maybe Ducks under BB. In terms of potential point production and overall success with their current rosters.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Anyone acquiring him would severely be knee-capping themselves by trading half their assets away...but taking that out of the picture Chicago, Nashville, and Dallas pop into mind instantly as good fits.

And yes, Malkin instantly becomes the best player in the Western Conference in this hypothetical scenario. Arguing that a 6'3" guy who averages more than a PIM a game in his career couldn't handle the physicality of the west...yeah.

He would definitely be in the running for it. But he is not miles ahead of the best players in the west. Currently, yes he would be the best. But Getzlaf, for example, would be right behind him (not with current play but at his best) and possibly could take the spot in any given year.

Ralphy*

Forget the West, I'd like to see Malkin on the leafs :laugh:

JVR-Malkin-Kessel would be beautiful.

alexny

Jun 15, 2014
It's not a trade proposal, it's just a hypothetical discussion: which coach/system/teammates would he fit better, let's say, STL under Hitch or NSH under Lavi. Or maybe Ducks under BB. In terms of potential point production and overall success with their current rosters.

For me the obvious answer then is Chicago. A great group of wings and a style of play that would suit Malkin.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Malkin is the dirtiest superstar there is in the league currently, and that's coming from a Pens fan. He's not afraid of physical play before or after the whistles. He's a big guy and he hits like a truck when he gets going. I seriously doubt he'd be so intimidated in the West that he'd suddenly drop 30-40 points.

I think the hypothetical ideal team for him in the West would be Nashville. They seem like a team that always has the pieces to be successful except for a top end center. And he'd be reunited with his buddy James.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Malkin is the dirtiest superstar there is in the league currently, and that's coming from a Pens fan. He's not afraid of physical play before or after the whistles. He's a big guy and he hits like a truck when he gets going. I seriously doubt he'd be so intimidated in the West that he'd suddenly drop 30-40 points.

I think the hypothetical ideal team for him in the West would be Nashville. They seem like a team that always has the pieces to be successful except for a top end center. And he'd be reunited with his buddy James.

You can take superstar out of there. He's just a straight up dirty player. Hacks, spears, slewfoots, etc. Dude knows how to get under the skin of others and is just straight up not afraid of anyone.

I mean, I love the dude and would love him and all of his dirtiness on my team, though. So I'm not really criticizing him for it.

It'd be hilarious watching him in the West and watching all of the TOFFNESS not do anything about it.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
You can take superstar out of there. He's just a straight up dirty player. Hacks, spears, slewfoots, etc. Dude knows how to get under the skin of others and is just straight up not afraid of anyone.

I mean, I love the dude and would love him and all of his dirtiness on my team, though. So I'm not really criticizing him for it.

It'd be hilarious watching him in the West and watching all of the TOFFNESS not do anything about it.

Fair enough. I don't think he's among the dirtiest in the league or anything but he definitely plays on the line all the time and crosses it quite a bit. My friend and I are Pens STHs and any time Malkin is on the ice we watch him even if the puck has moved to the other end because we know a lot of times he'll be shoving or hacking away at somebody behind the play.

So yeah, I think he'd fit in fine with any level of toughness. He's got a mean streak a mile wide and more often than not the madder he gets the better he plays (though he'll also take a dumb retaliatory penalty from time to time, but he'll do his best to take someone with him).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->