Everything COVID19 - PART 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Numbers are going up again in many parts of Canada, and also in Spain, Germany and other places where they seemed under control.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Numbers are going up again in many parts of Canada, and also in Spain, Germany and other places where they seemed under control.
going up or down doesn't mean it not under control. If the hospitals can absorb those with covid or other viruses, it's under control in my book cause it won't go away. The C (ovid) generation* will grow older with masks for a long time.

*I call them the Eye generation because it's mostly the only part of the face can be seen while wearing a mask.
**I also find ironic that Muslim women have finally found a peace of mind while living in the Western world because of the Covid:
Muslim women who cover their faces find greater acceptance among coronavirus masks – 'Nobody is giving me dirty looks'

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It is politics. Who here brought up Florida having a "100% positivity rate" in certain areas. Nobody at any point, ever.

And yet two anti-lockdown HFBoards posters on here - one brings it up as if it was some widely publicized event, the other cites how the number was wrong. Never mind the absurdly high 18% positivity rate which is accurate and disastrous.

Now the second one is going off about antibody tests which were always inaccurate and were widely reported in the media to be inaccurate and the tests were rejected by Health Canada. Unfortunate reality he doesn't want to grasp.
LOL. If you want to call people out just use their handles. It's much easier to decipher who you are trying to attack.

Sure politics. If you want to use politics as some form of reasoning then political bias can pretty much be applied to EVERYTHING the media is reporting can it not?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It is politics. Who here brought up Florida having a "100% positivity rate" in certain areas. Nobody at any point, ever.

And yet two anti-lockdown HFBoards posters on here - one brings it up as if it was some widely publicized event, the other cites how the number was wrong. Never mind the absurdly high 18% positivity rate which is accurate and disastrous.

Now the second one is going off about antibody tests which were always inaccurate and were widely reported in the media to be inaccurate and the tests were rejected by Health Canada. Unfortunate reality he doesn't want to grasp.

The art of "just asking questions"

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
99% Harmless or is this fake news

Coronavirus live updates: 25 million infected in Iran, president says
US death count up 19%

The number of new coronavirus cases is up 19.7% from last week and the national death count is up 19% during the same period, according to an internal Federal Emergency Management Agency memo obtained by ABC News.
Those figures aren't the only increases. The national fatality rate is now 3.8% and the test positivity rate saw a slight increase in the last seven days, coming in at 10.1%. It was 9.8% during the week prior, according to the FEMA. memo.
Other concerning rises include that 13% of COVID-19 inpatients are on a ventilator, which is the first weekly rise in this stat since early June. Also, 32% of in-use ventilators across the U.S. are occupied by COVID-19 patients. At the coronavirus peak in April, it was 45%. In early June, it was 17%, according to FEMA.
The number of available ICU beds also continues to be a problem. The memo said that 19% of all medical facilities in the U.S. have more than 80% of their ICU beds filled.
Two of the hardest-hit states, Florida and Texas, are still not seeing a slowdown in cases. From July 8-14, Florida had its highest test-positivity rate to date at 17.9%. It also had a record daily death toll of 156 on July 16. Hospitalizations in the sunshine state, according to the FEMA memo, are expected to peak in 10 days.
Meanwhile in Texas, the state had record highs of cases and deaths on July 15.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Meanwhile, in Ottawa, 19 confirmed new cases yesterday. Highest number of new cases since May 21. Likely at least partially influenced by the mobile testing centres being set up, but a reminder that we don't know what we don't know... and a real worry that we're seeing a jump right as bars get re-opened. I worry about what our numbers will look like in two weeks.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Meanwhile, in Ottawa, 19 confirmed new cases yesterday. Highest number of new cases since May 21. Likely at least partially influenced by the mobile testing centres being set up, but a reminder that we don't know what we don't know... and a real worry that we're seeing a jump right as bars get re-opened. I worry about what our numbers will look like in two weeks.

I understand it's unfair to bar owners but really what do they expect? People who drink to take the edge off or get flat out drunk aren't going to make good decisions about keeping their distance.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
federal government just denied the jays from playing their home games in toronto mainly because of the teams that would have to come in and out of toronto

if the states dont get their act together i wonder what that means for next season. Even though next season is projected to start in december, that is 5 months away and the states are a complete shitshow regarding slowing down the virus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I understand it's unfair to bar owners but really what do they expect? People who drink to take the edge off or get flat out drunk aren't going to make good decisions about keeping their distance.
The demographic for those who frequent bars is also a factor. Say 20-30 .., my understanding is this group could have more asymptomatic people ; opening the bars is going to bring a lot of people together that feel fine.

This is what happened among other things in the US.. Lets keep the numbers way down with more convenient ramped up testing and go from there

Reactions: Ed Wood

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
I know the blame is being passed on young people, parties, etc. But would be interesting to know if federal buildings opening up have played a role as well.

My neighbour is back at work and was saying his building doesnt have any physical distancing measures. Everyone roaming hallways in both directions. His department is refusing to enforce masks even though they are not ensuring physical distancing lol.

Not good news for our communities.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa 43 , Toronto 30 K passa?

It already burned through Toronto at a pretty good clip, whereas Ottawa's numbers have always been low. Lots of dry timber still left here, so to speak. It's very similar to how the virus burned through New York City fast and early, then moved on to southern States where numbers had previously been low. Virus gonna virus - it spreads until it mutates and dies off, or runs out of hosts.

The numbers to watch are hospitalizations and deaths. This is especially true given that the experts estimate that the number of actual cases is several times higher than the positive tests they find. This would have been especially true in the early days of the crisis, when they had little testing capacity. If the true number of people with the virus is "10 to 30 times" higher, then how useful is the number? Not very.

On deaths, they have slowed considerably in Canada - I believe we are now averaging in the single digits daily across the country, and in Ontario for the last two days it has been one per day. That's it. Number of people in hospital in Ontario is 120, whereas in May it was up over 800. If we settle into a pattern where deaths have slowed to a trickle, and hospitalizations are relatively low and very manageable, is this still a crisis worthy of crippling our economy over? I would argue no...

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It will probably be 100+ in the next days coming up. We will only see the benefits of this number in two weeks. I'm thinking at least 500+ new cases will be added by the time the actions of the last two weeks are understood and calculated.

I am not blaming anyone, it has been a very difficult 4+ months. People will make mistakes and slip up, it is human nature to an extent. But this is not on Phase 3. This is not on bars and restaurants. This is on backyards and private gatherings.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I'm expecting cases to not start rising again as we re-open bars and increase public interaction. I'd have expected a small bump in two weeks' time as we start seeing the results of that. But a bump beforehand... it's not unreasonable to be worried.
I think your expectations are unrealistic then. Things open up numbers will rise. Its inevitable

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think your expectations are unrealistic then. Things open up numbers will rise. Its inevitable
Sure but there should be a delay before you find the cases. The fact that the bump happened as quickly as it did suggests the cases detected were incubating prior to things opening up.

Now, this could be the bump from moving to phase 2 about 2 weeks ago and the bump may very well be low enough that it's within expectations and manageable, but if thats the case it is still concerning that we are seeing the bump after moving on to the next stage because presumably it is information that would have been useful in assesing whether or not we were appropriately positioned to move on to phase 3.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It will probably be 100+ in the next days coming up. We will only see the benefits of this number in two weeks. I'm thinking at least 500+ new cases will be added by the time the actions of the last two weeks are understood and calculated.

I am not blaming anyone, it has been a very difficult 4+ months. People will make mistakes and slip up, it is human nature to an extent. But this is not on Phase 3. This is not on bars and restaurants. This is on backyards and private gatherings.

Daycare centers opened up on the 9th i think (my kids aren't in daycare so im not sure the exact date), hair stylists, gyms ect, i imagine that might be a factor.

I suspect that the more thing open up, the more complacent in general people become, so it might not be the fault of opening up certain businesses, but rather the second order effect that has on how people behave in their day to day activities.

Reactions: coladin

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

It's going to be bad. People are totally letting their guard down.

I was invited to a patio for beers and food with 5-6 others last week. I declined. No way I am hanging out with additional people at a bar patio yet. Many others are all in for summer fun. Patio bar /restaurant adverts up everywhere. You can't eat and drink with a mask on.

i get that people are bored, but the numbers will soon be up to 400 again soon. Stay home.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Sure but there should be a delay before you find the cases. The fact that the bump happened as quickly as it did suggests the cases detected were incubating prior to things opening up.

Now, this could be the bump from moving to phase 2 about 2 weeks ago and the bump may very well be low enough that it's within expectations and manageable, but if thats the case it is still concerning that we are seeing the bump after moving on to the next stage because presumably it is information that would have been useful in assesing whether or not we were appropriately positioned to move on to phase 3.
Aren't people without any symptoms being encouraged to get tested? Perhaps that could be a reason for the bump in cases since phase 3 opened.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I respectfully disagree. I think your expectations are off-base and ignore the exponential trait of the virus. I don't want my elderly parents to die. I don't want my immunocompromised sister to die. I trust myself to be safe and take the right precautions, but the mounting number of cases (during what should theoretically be the easiest time of year to keep cases at a minimum) tells me I can't trust the public in general to do the same.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Numbers are going to be wonky for a couple of weeks.

The mobile testing in high-risk areas where there is likely a high contamination rate will definitely skew the numbers.

With that being said, Brewer is also getting through more tests than they had been previously, so that likely will also result in more positive tests overall.

The pictures of the Market from Saturday night are extremely frustrating, especially as someone who's workload is directly affected by number of cases we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad