Everything COVID19 - PART 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
This thing isn't going away any time soon. A reliable vaccine and vaccinations for everyone might be a 2022 thing. Hopefully by then, possibly not.

In the meantime the world needs to figure out how to go on while also figuring out how to manage the situation

The number of new cases today isn't the same as it was in March or April. The doctors have a better understanding of how to treat this and there are meds that positively impact the symptoms

The world needs to figure out how to co-exist with this until it can be eradicated by a vaccine. Zero cases isn't realistic and neither is a lockdown forever.

Zero cases is not realistic but if you want to avoid future lockdowns you need to maintain zero growth. Yes there will be occasional spikes up and down but overall you need to be near zero growth. If case loads are growing with respect to community spread then eventually you will reach the point where you need to be hard the the brakes with a lockdown. Figuring out how to live with this is going to require a few taps on the brakes of what is open/allowed as cases creep up. Wait too long to tap on them and you will have to lock up them brakes (pun intended).

The current spike of community growth while still manageable is concerning as it is from Pre stage 3 activities. Seems like stage 3 combined with kids return to school will require some braking sooner rather than latter. We better hope that we can do it with a few light taps otherwise it will require some hard breaking and not sure how much brake pad is left.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I agree with much of what you've typed but I think the bolded needs to be expanded on. When you use the term 'a lockdown" .... do you mean the current ("phase3") set of restrictions? Or do you mean some of the earlier, much more restrictive rules?

For me "phase3" can no longer be even thought of as "a lockdown". Almost everything is now back up and happening, although with the various size restrictions.

The big elephant is the return to school. If that doesnt happen in some reasonable form, then it is true that a big percentage of our population (children) are effectively "locked down".

I'm referring to earlier. Tighter restrictions.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I have been reading your posts and many speak of testing...we are talking between $100-$150 per test.

ottawa has 1,000,000 people. If we assume a test every 5-7 days to capture the incubation part of the virus and minimize spread, we are taking $100-$120 million a week. So say 26 weeks to get a handle...$2.6 to $2.4 BILLION dollars. And we are not even beginning to address the logistics. A million people to be tested in 7 days. 140,000 a day....HOW??????

health care is ~ $1 million per day in ottawa. Police, fire department, schools..another $1 million per day. City total expenses, ~ $11 million per day (look it up, it is on the city's web site..2019 expenses ~ 5.3 billion). Covid testing for all 14-16 million per day. Where does the money come from and how long before it runs out?

there is no magic guys, we are screwed and come hell or high water, this virus is going to take a chunk out our ass.. We will be broke and still have many dead.

We need a vaccine ASAP...we need all people to hibernate..Drink your booze at home..

On day 1 of stage 3 and allowing large groups, i was jogging at a local school, around the football pitch. A coach comes by and I come to find out, a girls soccer practice..Day f'ng one. We cannot live without soccer for one summer. The practice fields for Ottawa South (off Mitch Owens) have been packed since June.

God help us all. Because, we sure as heck are not helping ourselves.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
maid-of-the-mist-1.png

American tourist boat Maid Of The Mist, limited to 50 per cent occupancy under New York state's rules during the COVID-19 pandemic, moves past a Canadian vessel limited under Ontario's rules to just six passengers, in Niagara Falls, Ontario, July 21, 2020. CARLOS OSORIO/REUTERS

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
maid-of-the-mist-1.png

American tourist boat Maid Of The Mist, limited to 50 per cent occupancy under New York state's rules during the COVID-19 pandemic, moves past a Canadian vessel limited under Ontario's rules to just six passengers, in Niagara Falls, Ontario, July 21, 2020. CARLOS OSORIO/REUTERS
I just saw that as well, it made me laugh in a sad, depressing kind of hopeless way.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
maid-of-the-mist-1.png

That empty Canadian boat is a metaphor for the jobs that have been lost here, and the number of small businesses that have been bankrupted. It is truly ugly, and I don't think that we have quite grasped the magnitude of the economic devastation. We will, though, over the winter when the CERB and CEWS money has run out.

I'm not sure if anyone has walked around downtown Ottawa lately, but it is like a meteor hit the place. Businesses are either closed, or operating with a skeleton staff. Restaurants are pretty quiet, and of course any tourism related business is crippled. The hotels are largely empty because there are no American tourists. All of this has consequences. Economically we are going to have to find a route out of this crisis soon, which means that governments need to stop scaring the @#$# out of people and start restoring public confidence. The level of public anxiety and hysteria is such that it will be a long process, so best to start now.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That empty Canadian boat is a metaphor for the jobs that have been lost here, and the number of small businesses that have been bankrupted. It is truly ugly, and I don't think that we have quite grasped the magnitude of the economic devastation. We will, though, over the winter when the CERB and CEWS money has run out.

I'm not sure if anyone has walked around downtown Ottawa lately, but it is like a meteor hit the place. Businesses are either closed, or operating with a skeleton staff. Restaurants are pretty quiet, and of course any tourism related business is crippled. The hotels are largely empty because there are no American tourists. All of this has consequences. Economically we are going to have to find a route out of this crisis soon, which means that governments need to stop scaring the @#$# out of people and start restoring public confidence. The level of public anxiety and hysteria is such that it will be a long process, so best to start now.
what can you say....scaring the shit out of people is easy....charting a path out of this is a tad more challenging....Justin just wants to stand at the podium and say a chicken in every pot....unfortunately we're going to run out of chickens...and as of this past week, unfortunately our federal government is likely more preoccupied with having been caught with their hands in the cookie jar again...if only we could do something about that

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

IMG_20200515_061142.jpg

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Try walking in the market and other areas like that. It's packed on the weekend

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Doh! I forgot the week it started since I have no intention of sitting in a restaurant any time soon.

My wife and I sat inside at a restaurant in Quebec a couple of weeks ago. It was glorious - for a little while, we got to forget about the collective nervous breakdown and just enjoy a meal. I'll happily do it again. Oh, and I've been back to GoodLife three times since they re-opened...

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
My wife and I sat inside at a restaurant in Quebec a couple of weeks ago. It was glorious - for a little while, we got to forget about the collective nervous breakdown and just enjoy a meal. I'll happily do it again. Oh, and I've been back to GoodLife three times since they re-opened...

How are your COVID symptoms?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Early Adopter? or Florida, Texas, Arizona and California had many

Oct 10, 2010
It's almost like mandatory masks gave many people false sense of protection?

We had been doing very good until we decided to go the mandatory mask route.

Obviously more things opening up will cause the cases to raise as well.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
It's almost like mandatory masks gave many people false sense of protection?

We had been doing very good until we decided to go the mandatory mask route.

Obviously more things opening up will cause the cases to raise as well.
It seems to me that a lot of people don't get that you should still social distance when wearing a mask. I'm not sure the messaging on this has been clear enough.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
At work we are supposed to be one at a table in the break room. There are three people at one. A few months ago I saw one of them sitting on a chair on the floor that had a sign saying don't sit on it because of Covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad