Everything COVID19 - PART 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Numbers are going to be wonky for a couple of weeks.

The mobile testing in high-risk areas where there is likely a high contamination rate will definitely skew the numbers.

With that being said, Brewer is also getting through more tests than they had been previously, so that likely will also result in more positive tests overall.

The pictures of the Market from Saturday night are extremely frustrating, especially as someone who's workload is directly affected by number of cases we have.

My wife says that she listened to the Ottawa Public Health conference call this afternoon, and the speaker (wasn't Vera Etches, one of the other guys) stated that the recent bump was NOT due to the mobile testing. Claims they don't have those numbers yet.

Stated that based on feedback from the positive tested individuals -- many of them teens or twentysomethings -- their best guess at this moment is just an increase in socializing, esp indoor house parties.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
My wife says that she listened to the Ottawa Public Health conference call this afternoon, and the speaker (wasn't Vera Etches, one of the other guys) stated that the recent bump was NOT due to the mobile testing. Claims they don't have those numbers yet.

Stated that based on feedback from the positive tested individuals -- many of them teens or twentysomethings -- their best guess at this moment is just an increase in socializing, esp indoor house parties.

Just got back from a quick trip to Home Despot. I can attest that people are all out here now. Tuesday night and the patios are full. People walking the strip like it's fine summer night in 2019

I am calling 300 per day in 2 weeks.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
EdfpVPDXkAAN6yj

For the maskholes

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
So how many people have been hospitalized in the last 2 weeks?

You understand that people are prudent to be weary of new cases growing in an uncontrollable manner, right? Because that would, eventually, lead to hospitalizations growing the same way? And that would leave to bad health outcomes and lockdowns?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This thing isn't going away any time soon. A reliable vaccine and vaccinations for everyone might be a 2022 thing. Hopefully by then, possibly not.

In the meantime the world needs to figure out how to go on while also figuring out how to manage the situation

The number of new cases today isn't the same as it was in March or April. The doctors have a better understanding of how to treat this and there are meds that positively impact the symptoms

The world needs to figure out how to co-exist with this until it can be eradicated by a vaccine. Zero cases isn't realistic and neither is a lockdown forever.

Reactions: ColinM

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I read a quote that captures part of this issue.
"Wearing a mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test".

Reminds me of a T Shirt I saw many years ago, when Ontario passed the Bike Helmet law for bike riders under 18 years old .... it read "If the brain is not smart enough to wear a helmet, it's probably not worth saving"...

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Zero cases isn't realistic and neither is a lockdown forever.
Disingenuous. There's not a rational person out there saying zero cases is achievable or realistic in the short term. Co-existence is what I'm looking for, too, but a spike in cases because people can't follow basic distancing guidelines and mask recommendations is decidedly not co-existence. Burying our heads in the sand and ignoring an increase because there are currently no hospitalizations is a surefire way to get us back in full lockdown mode. I'm not sure our economy will easily be able to bounce back from another lockdown, but if we only react to this once the spread gets worse then it'll already be too late.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
“Relax everybody, Relax”

Washing your hands is still the #1 most effective way to keep yourself safe so don’t forget that (and the 20 seconds) - so much focus on masks and 2m that the message that handwashkng is still the most effective practice to stay safe has waned. People are washing are their hands less because they think the mask and the 2m rule is the guideline.

WASH YOUR HANDS

wash your hands, drink some beers, marinade a steak, BBQ that steak, love your partner, go for a swim, take a long walk, think about Stutz passing to Brady and Batherson and Chabot in the crease looking for rebounds.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This thing isn't going away any time soon. A reliable vaccine and vaccinations for everyone might be a 2022 thing. Hopefully by then, possibly not.

In the meantime the world needs to figure out how to go on while also figuring out how to manage the situation

The number of new cases today isn't the same as it was in March or April. The doctors have a better understanding of how to treat this and there are meds that positively impact the symptoms

The world needs to figure out how to co-exist with this until it can be eradicated by a vaccine. Zero cases isn't realistic and neither is a lockdown forever.

I think that is what's happening. I do feel sorry for some parts of the planet though where it will have a more devastating affect due to overpopulation and lack of health care infrastructure. Its a new normal.. how do we return to productivity safely. People are working on this all over the place.

Reactions: aragorn and JD1

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
“Relax everybody, Relax”

Washing your hands is still the #1 most effective way to keep yourself safe so don’t forget that (and the 20 seconds) - so much focus on masks and 2m that the message that handwashkng is still the most effective practice to stay safe has waned. People are washing are their hands less because they think the mask and the 2m rule is the guideline.

WASH YOUR HANDS

wash your hands, drink some beers, marinade a steak, BBQ that steak, love your partner, go for a swim, take a long walk, think about Stutz passing to Brady and Batherson and Chabot in the crease looking for rebounds.
Masks are more important than washing your hands and using hand sanitizer now. Surface transmission has been determined to be lower risk than once though.

Reactions: coladin

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Disingenuous. There's not a rational person out there saying zero cases is achievable or realistic in the short term. Co-existence is what I'm looking for, too, but a spike in cases because people can't follow basic distancing guidelines and mask recommendations is decidedly not co-existence. Burying our heads in the sand and ignoring an increase because there are currently no hospitalizations is a surefire way to get us back in full lockdown mode. I'm not sure our economy will easily be able to bounce back from another lockdown, but if we only react to this once the spread gets worse then it'll already be too late.

I'd gather based on what you quoted from my post that you're looking for an argument. You're going to have to look elsewhere

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

I agree but part of living with this must be an acknowledgement that normal doesn’t occur until a vaccine has been distributed to the herd or life saving treatments are found. And until then, even in places where 0 cases are temporarily achieved, we must be ready to accept regular public health driven tamp downs to extinguish outbreaks. Living with this must involve maximum effort made to minimize the preventable tortuous deaths.

We will always be testing what can we do and then stopping what doesn’t work. We can get groceries safely now it seems. Finding such a model for schools is going to be a challenge. Coexisting cant just be- oh well, que sera, sera. That is surrendering. Coexisting is hard work, expensive, requires leadership to obtain societal buy-in and cooperation and to create a much higher resourced public health infrastructure.

I wonder if we were regularly testing everyone in Ottawa, once a week, allowing a confident return to ‘close to the cap’ of normal (cause that seems like an Ottawa thing now) would the cost of achieving no new cases be less than all the gov’t support programs required to keep so many at home? Maybe its too hard to build up that infrastructure for this pandemic, but for the next one? Should we accept being caught again?

Coexisting is also a broader goal for humanity to achieve with the planet it seems. We are not doing a good job of that the moment. And that is said to be part of the reason why these pandemics are regularly happening now and are expected to continue. Ebola is back apparently too. So, if we aren’t going to coexist by finding a harmonious balance between humans and the planet then we better start putting in place the public health infrastructure and authorities to coexist with these viruses rather than surrender to them.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

I agree with much of what you've typed but I think the bolded needs to be expanded on. When you use the term 'a lockdown" .... do you mean the current ("phase3") set of restrictions? Or do you mean some of the earlier, much more restrictive rules?

For me "phase3" can no longer be even thought of as "a lockdown". Almost everything is now back up and happening, although with the various size restrictions.

The big elephant is the return to school. If that doesnt happen in some reasonable form, then it is true that a big percentage of our population (children) are effectively "locked down".

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Just cut off all mass congregation until/if there's a vaccine. Socializing in large groups should just be outlawed everywhere until further notice.

No reason bars should be open. No need to bring fans back to stadiums. No need for concerts and performances with live audiences. No need for leisure travel across the country.

Keep it essential and at least then we're not spreading it from some ridiculous human desire to socialize in public in large groups. It's unnecessary for survival on this planet, so just outlaw it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just got back from the bank where I wore sunglasses, a mask & baseball cap. I had my hand in my pocket when I went up to the teller who had her hands in the air for some unknown reason. I asked for $100 & she gave me a $1,000 bucks, I said that's too much, she said just take it & don't hurt me. I said what? Then some guy jumped me & a schmozolla followed, I had to crawl out of the place on my hands & knees while people were rolling around fighting each other all around me.

Man, the world has gotten crazy. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad