OT: Everything but Super C poutine thread

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Portugalia has declined a lot. It was the **** back then! I used to go there all the time after Portuguese school.

Also, Piri Piri is kinda different. They use a sauce while other restaurants mostly use spice.

For people in Laval, Patisserie Lajeunesse is really good. They also have other great dishes (octopus, carne de porco à alentejana, bifanas, etc).

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Portugalia has declined a lot. It was the **** back then! I used to go there all the time after Portuguese school.

Also, Piri Piri is kinda different. They use a sauce while other restaurants mostly use spice.

For people in Laval, Patisserie Lajeunesse is really good. They also have other great dishes (octopus, carne de porco à alentejana, bifanas, etc).

Yeah very good. We usually order a bunch of food for them for large gatherings. Probably doing this for Christmas.

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
Any good restaurants for vegans downtown Montreal?

Meeting a friend from of out town for dinner soon. We're both vegans and I'd like to impress her.

Lola Rosa, there is one on Parc and one in the McGill Ghetto
Pantere Verte is great. Awesome salads and soups. I've heard their sandwiches are good too, I think there is 4 or 5 locations in Montreal. I go to the one near Concordia quite often.
Crudescence is pretty hyped up. I think it's overpriced but they have really good stuff. there is one near Concordia, and one in the mile end.
If you're looking for something quick to go, Liquid Nutrition, although specializing in smoothies, offer very very very good squash soups. 100% vegan and gluten free. Check it out, the Guy and Mt Royal locations are run by dear friends.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Big grilled octupus fan. The best I had was at La Cantina on boul. St-Laurent, north of the Met, however ... it's now closed.

Anyone know of good places to try? I see that it's a big Portuguese specialty, I think I'll visit Patisserie Lajeunesse.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Big grilled octupus fan. The best I had was at La Cantina on boul. St-Laurent, north of the Met, however ... it's now closed.

Anyone know of good places to try? I see that it's a big Portuguese specialty, I think I'll visit Patisserie Lajeunesse.

The place I work at has really good grilled octopus. The problem is it can be extremely great or average. When it hits it's melt in your mouth.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009

there is a Patisserie Lajeunesse on Berri I think, in MTL. I dont know if they have food though. They sell bread, pastries and Portuguese products.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
There's a poutine festival going on until sunday at Montmorency plaza. 39 different poutines everything from cheeseburger, bacon, ribs and even general tao poutines! When I saw the ad in the newspaper I was already on my way home from Montmorency and didn't feel like going back. :(

Almost went to Au Pied de Cochon to try their Foie Gras poutine recommended in another thread. Ended up going to La Banquise instead since I was in the mood for a poutine. Was not impressed. Last time I go there. They are always jam packed though so doubt they'll miss my business much lol.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/20...entes-a-essayer-au-grand-poutinefest-de-laval

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
What happened to poutine under 10$??? Is the inflation responsible or its "cool" to eat poutine which has raised the price up?

I usualy go to Costco now for poutine. I just ask them to.male the fries extra crispy. For 5$ it's very worth it.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
What happened to poutine under 10$??? Is the inflation responsible or its "cool" to eat poutine which has raised the price up?

I usualy go to Costco now for poutine. I just ask them to.male the fries extra crispy. For 5$ it's very worth it.

Most "meals" are over $10 bucks now a days. For example the General Tao poutine is $10. Don't know if you've ever had a plate of General Tao but it' smuch more than $10. Same for Ribs etc.. Besides not everyone lives near a Costco.

That's why I like Ma Poule Mouillée which is located across from La Banquise. For $8 tax included you get a healthy portion of poutine with chicken and chorico, although I find that it's gotten a little bit more salty than it used to be or is it just me?

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Most "meals" are over $10 bucks now a days. For example the General Tao poutine is $10. Don't know if you've ever had a plate of General Tao but it' smuch more than $10. Same for Ribs etc.. Besides not everyone lives near a Costco.

That's why I like Ma Poule Mouillée which is located across from La Banquise. For $8 tax included you get a healthy portion of poutine with chicken and chorico, although I find that it's gotten a little bit more salty than it used to be or is it just me?

Crazy! I left Quebec in 1999 to move to BC and I remember poutine were 5$, hot dogs 2 for 1$, hamburgers were around 1$. Last time I had a poutine in Quebec was in 2010 I think. The Benny BBQ chicken poutine was under 10$ I believe but it's of big portion and delicious.

You need to go to Costco.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thought I'd revive this thread as it's always a good time to bring up food.

Anyone tried the new Boustan in Laval? It's corporate, unlike most of their other restaurants that are run by franchisees. Their chicken pita is hands down the best I've ever tried.

For those who have never been, you can have them put their garlic potatoes inside the sandwich, at no extra cost. They won't suggest it to you, but they'll do it if you ask. Their coleslaw is extra crisp. Their chicken tastes like real chicken, unlike some places. :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The west island Boustan was awesome when it opened but seems it went downhill now.

I tried it but it comes nowhere close to the Laval location.

And, if you've had your fill of Boustan, drive north of the 440 on des Laurentides and try Mexi Grill. The owner is a beast when it comes to selecting the best ingredients. They make amazing burritos. Only issue ... they'd be so much more popular were it not for the location. For those who live or are in Laval often, well worth it. If you go on Tuesdays, they have a lower price on chicken burritos. If you really want to taste an amazingly spiced meat, ask for "al pastore".

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Boustan and Mexi Grill are not junk. They're not your typical fast food fare.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming ... anyone know where I can get a great yero pita sandwich?

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
Yes boustan and mexi grill are junk, sure its tasty as hell but and id love pme everytime im drunk, but thats just it... Drunk food

I've never been to either but just looking at the menus of both restaurants, it would probably qualify as better quality fast food I guess.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Definitely still junk food.

But Boustan is great every now and then. I had it yesterday.

edit : but what the f does this have to do with poutine?!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes boustan and mexi grill are junk, sure its tasty as hell but and id love pme everytime im drunk, but thats just it... Drunk food

I have taken a tour of Mexi Grill's kitchen, it's spotless. Have done so more than once.

None of their ingredients come from cans. For instance, the corn they use is cut off from the cob. Their spices are authentic. The owner refuses to compromise on quality.

So is it "junk"? Depends on how you define "junk". If "junk" is anything that you don't prepare at home, then yeah, all restaurants are "junk".

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I have taken a tour of Mexi Grill's kitchen, it's spotless. Have done so more than once.

None of their ingredients come from cans. For instance, the corn they use is cut off from the cob. Their spices are authentic. The owner refuses to compromise on quality.

So is it "junk"? Depends on how you define "junk". If "junk" is anything that you don't prepare at home, then yeah, all restaurants are "junk".

Authentic Mexican food is delicious and healthful, especially if expertly prepared with top ingredients. It can however, be rather high in fat.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007

This place is pretty good. I actually find their chicken as good if not better than Romados. I had grilled octopus and it was pretty good too.

http://www.ocantinho.ca/cantinho-express.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad