OT: Everything but Super C poutine thread

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Big grilled octupus fan. The best I had was at La Cantina on boul. St-Laurent, north of the Met, however ... it's now closed.

Anyone know of good places to try? I see that it's a big Portuguese specialty, I think I'll visit Patisserie Lajeunesse.

You should find great octopus also in both Greek and Argentinean restaurants.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions and tips to you all. I'm keeping them handy.

I tried grilling it myself this past week-end, with mixed results. Bought two pieces from the fish market, that were pre-cooked. Was told it doesn't matter if octopus is bought pre-cooked or not. I dunno if that's true, but when I checked the price for the uncooked octopus, it was prohibitive, you had to buy the whole thing at that store. Whereas you don't for pre-cooked and the latter weighs less with so much water being removed in this state.

Gave me an even better appreciation for restaurants who do it well.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Man, I'd have portuguese chicken every other week if they delivered. I live a short drive from the place so in theory I could get their food pretty often.

I often travel through there and had no knowledge of it.

What else do you like on their menu?

Edit: just remembered who they are, I tried them at their Jarry address. Their Henri Bourassa location threw me off. Yeah, they're good.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
portuguese chicken is addictive. just say 'no' to it :sarcasm:

I say 'no' to those places who try to keep the price down by offering lower quality, undersized, rubbery-like chicken. They know who they are.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Octopus is expensive in all their forms, but buying it precooked isnt a bad compromise as you need to precook it anyway before grilling, just depend how its precooked... Also plz, dont smash it like old italian cooks do :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Octopus is expensive in all their forms, but buying it precooked isnt a bad compromise as you need to precook it anyway before grilling, just depend how its precooked... Also plz, dont smash it like old italian cooks do :laugh:

Yup, next time I'll wait for a sale. Two small pieces cost $15 -- I'd rather buy a larger quantity.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

In Argentina the octopus is dipped in a simmering pot of court bouillon for just a few seconds, removed and then placed back in the pot. Apparently this is a great help in keeping it tender. In parts of Europe, a used wine cork is added to the water/stock for the same reason.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Thanks groove. That really looks good. Liking that the ingredients are all easily available.

Never saw a recipe using 12 cloves of garlic, though. Is there a sub-species of octupuses that is vampire-like? ;)

Hehe most of the garlic is for the broth, I think. There's a classic recipe (French I believe) that roasts a chicken with 40-cloves of garlic. Can probably find it online easily. I've cooked it myself and the garlic roasts and becomes soft and sweet.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Man, I'd have portuguese chicken every other week if they delivered. I live a short drive from the place so in theory I could get their food pretty often.
Portuguese chicken is absolutely amazing. One of my favourites along with Thai food.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hehe most of the garlic is for the broth, I think. There's a classic recipe (French I believe) that roasts a chicken with 40-cloves of garlic. Can probably find it online easily. I've cooked it myself and the garlic roasts and becomes soft and sweet.

Gotta try this. It looks delicious. Thanks bud.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Portuguese chicken is absolutely amazing. One of my favourites along with Thai food.

I've seen a few recipes for Portuguese chicken. Is the one you're talking about saucy, like a cacciatore or dry roasted with spices? Is it spicy?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I've seen a few recipes for Portuguese chicken. Is the one you're talking about saucy, like a cacciatore or dry roasted with spices? Is it spicy?
There's a chain called Nando's out there in BC and Ontario that is out of this world. It's based in South Africa and came to Canada about 15 years ago. It's a little bit saucy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeh man gyros are the ****. The best ones i've had in Montreal were from Arahova's. They make these "old fashioned" ones with lamb and beef meat, they're just to die for.

I used to go to the Arahova location in the east end, that is now moved north of the Met on Langelier.

Is that the one you tried? I never ordered a pita there, used to like their lamb dish. I gotta go back, it's been too long.

Don't tell Lafleur's Guy, though -- the guy is training real hard. :D

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
There's a chain called Nando's out there in BC and Ontario that is out of this world. It's based in South Africa and came to Canada about 15 years ago. It's a little bit saucy.

There's actually one here in Calgary. I'll have to try it out.Thank you!

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
Any of you Portuguese have a good Portuguese chicken recipe? Having friends over for dinner tomorrow. Some of them are Portuguese. I'm doing rotisserie chicken on my gas bbq and smoking ribs on my kettle. I found some recipes online but figure some of you might have a better recipe?

Thanks

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Any of you Portuguese have a good Portuguese chicken recipe? Having friends over for dinner tomorrow. Some of them are Portuguese. I'm doing rotisserie chicken on my gas bbq and smoking ribs on my kettle. I found some recipes online but figure some of you might have a better recipe?

Thanks

If you want to try something:

-Large shrimps (uncooked)
-60ml vodka
-30ml olive oil
-30ml piri-piri sauce
-30ml orange juice
-seasoning: paprika, thyme, whatever fits

Mix everything and put in the fridge for a couple of hours. Put the shrimps on skewers and cook on the BBQ 2-3 min. on each side.

The vodka really gives it a punch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad