Everything Avs...3 day break edition

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Landy is a UFA. No need to protect him or Saad. If they want to sign with Seattle or anyone else, they can. Same goes for Calvert, Cole and PEB.
He’s protected by default because he has a NMC

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Landy is a UFA. No need to protect him or Saad. If they want to sign with Seattle or anyone else, they can. Same goes for Calvert, Cole and PEB.
I assume that Landeskog will be signed before the expansion draft.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I’m not sure. To me, EJ is a $4.5mm player making $6mm. He’s not Lucic or Loui E albatross of a contract. He’s probably tradable. Don’t know If the Avs need to retain or attach an asset. He’s 32, 33 and 34 thru the last 3 years of his deal, which includes this season. He’s going to be a player that can help someone. He’d help the Avs, I just wouldn’t let it be at the cost of Bura.
I also think there is a 0.00% chance he’d get picked by Seattle.

Again, there’s a flat cap and financial uncertainty in addition to that being a less-than-ideal contract. Better players have been up for grabs (even could have been had for literally nothing) and they’ve stayed put. Not saying it’s impossible but there’s never been a worse time to dump a salary.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I am fairly confident in saying the Avalanche cannot get away with any sort of “handshake deal” with Landeskog in order to circumvent the XD. He will likely be signed before then anyway.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Usually it’s because the league doesn’t want games in October. Now it’s their last break for a month before the Tahoe game.

Still not ideal to get a long break now in this condensed season. If COVID hits the team they have to postpone games and we have almost no days off left it won't be pretty.

Also right now players are healthy and not tired. Won't be the case later.

Reactions: McMetal

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
If Jost plays well and resigns at a cheap contract he'll probably be our 7th forward protected.

The first 5 would easily be set, and with the last 2 spots you'd want to choose forwards who are the best bang-for-buck, which would likely be Nichuskin and Jost - thereby leaving Donskoi and Compher exposed (along with Saad though he's UFA anyways).
  1. Mackinnon
  2. Rantanen
  3. Landeskog
  4. Burakovsky
  5. Kadri
  6. Nichuskin
  7. Jost
Exposed: Donskoi, Compher, O'Connor, Saad, Calvert, Bellemare.

Not if they don't do anything with Johnson and go 4+4. But burakovsky may still be more attractive at 5 mil than a cheap Jost.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The next good team the Avs face is Feb 6th.

After a game against Vegas on the 22nd of Feb they have a whole month of games against Zona, Ducks, Kings, Wild and the Sharks.

This division is something else.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The next good team the Avs face is Feb 6th.

After a game against Vegas on the 22nd of Feb they have a whole month of games against Zona, Ducks, Kings, Wild and the Sharks.

This division is something else.
Those games will be good practice for our young guys

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Usually it’s because the league doesn’t want games in October. Now it’s their last break for a month before the Tahoe game.
Yeah but seems like Avs are the only team or one of 2 or 3 teams that open the season with couple of games then have long days off.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Only 2 more days until Avs hockey returns.

tenor.gif

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I feel like the discussion over who to play on D is overblown. We’ll undoubtedly have injuries and COVID precautions and everyone will play a good amount

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I am fairly confident in saying the Avalanche cannot get away with any sort of “handshake deal” with Landeskog in order to circumvent the XD. He will likely be signed before then anyway.
It’s not any kind of deal. It’s just saying, “you’re a UFA. We don’t need to protect you. Would you like to resign”.. simple as that. When he hits UFA, we can resign him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Define all the time.
Every single off season. Guys get to UFA and resign. The big one this year was Petro. He hit UFA and St Louis had time to resign him. Could have. Most felt they would. But they pivoted to Krug instead. Their call more so than Petro. He wanted to stay but make big dollars.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Are you guys actually worried that If the Ava let Landy hit ufa that he’d immediately fall in love with Ottawa or Buffalo? Maybe the Ducks? If the Avs want to resign him, they’ll have their at-bat. It will be an Avs decision. Don’t protect him, let him hit ufa and extend an offer. It’s not like the ground work hasn’t already been laid.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Every single off season. Guys get to UFA and resign. The big one this year was Petro. He hit UFA and St Louis had time to resign him. Could have. Most felt they would. But they pivoted to Krug instead. Their call more so than Petro. He wanted to stay but make big dollars.
:laugh:

I love how you create your own narratives that have nothing in common with the real world.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

I love how you create your own narratives that have nothing in common with the real world.

like when I called out Cole for being awful in the bubble when everybody here was whining about Graves endlessly. I guess I was just seeing whatever I wanted too.

Landy does not need to be resigned before ufa. He can be resigned as a free agent. You admit this is possible? Of course you do. So why not do that with Landy? He’s a UFA. Seattle gonna take a ufa? They can’t even do that. So exposure Grubs as well. Expose all the ufas.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

If Landy is willing to listen to offers like Tavares and Petro did then he's as good as gone.

That said, Sakic said that he'll stay so we have to believe him. He won't make it to UFA.

Reactions: McMetal

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
If Landy is willing to listen to offers like Tavares and Petro did then he's as good as gone.

That said, Sakic said that he'll stay so we have to believe him. He won't make it to UFA.

Nothing surprises me anymore, but I expect Landy will re-sign with Colorado, for better or worse.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Are you guys actually worried that If the Ava let Landy hit ufa that he’d immediately fall in love with Ottawa or Buffalo? Maybe the Ducks? If the Avs want to resign him, they’ll have their at-bat. It will be an Avs decision. Don’t protect him, let him hit ufa and extend an offer. It’s not like the ground work hasn’t already been laid.
Don't underestimate the allure of free agency, or the desperation of some NHL GMs. I guarantee you somebody would offer a massive overpayment to Landy in UFA, and that the amount will surprise him enough to get him to take another look. Sakic will be expecting a discount, other GMs are going to try to wow him with dollar signs, especially if a bidding war breaks out. Even Seattle, who would get first crack at him, would likely try to blow him away with an initial offer and get him to pay attention. A lot of conversations would happen without Sakic being involved, and I think it would be a big, big risk to let Landy find out what kind of money is out there for him.

The only way to avoid that is to just sign him and protect him, just like you would any star player. If you want to keep a guy like Calvert, or maybe Grubs, you go ahead and play those games and accept the outcome. But you don't do that with your captain and first line winger who is a critical part of your team's success.

Reactions: Avsavsavsavsavs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad