Everything Avs...3 day break edition

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Bura and Kadri probably both leave after their last year, chasing highest dollar contracts while Avs have to pay their top players. Timmins is affordable, and can be as important to the team as they are. The hope is that he's auto-protected and that EJ waives, when you can go 7-3-1.

It's been talked about for close to two years. He will have to be protected. He's not exempt.

Edit: Never mind, stand corrected.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Short of losing Graves, losing Burakovsky is probably the preferable outcome. He's done well with us, but the reality is that one-dimensional scoring line forwards are relatively easy to replace. Just this past offseason there were plenty of guys in that mould available in free agency, like Hoffman, Dadonov, and Hall for example. The 2021 offseason UFA market is also going to be better than usual to due to so many 1 year deals this year. Also bear in mind that Burakovsky will be a pending UFA in 2021-22 so his value in pure asset management terms isn't too high anyways.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Buyout/waiving EJ and going 7-3 is the only acceptable option, anything else leads to a better player being picked.

EJ has no trade market with his contract, expansion status, declining play and injury history.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Buyout/waiving EJ and going 7-3 is the only acceptable option, anything else leads to a better player being picked.

EJ has no trade market with his contract, expansion status, declining play and injury history.
Buying out EJ isn't optimal, but an extra $4m in capspace can go pretty far in 2 seasons from 2021-2023. Such as being able to resign Saad for example.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Avs don't need Johnson to necessarily waive if they can work out a trade with Seattle.

As funny as it sounds now, the Ducks traded Shea Theodore to Vegas for nothing, with the agreement that the Golden Knights choose Clayton Stoner in the expansion draft (Anaheim didn't want to lose either of Josh Manson or Sami Vatanen).

It would be some pretty hardcore mismanagement if Colorado lost one of Burakovsky/Kadri/Toews because they mismanaged Erik Johnson's NMC.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
No because the league has already said that’s illegal.
How could they enforce that though?

Landeskog would just have to say that he wanted to check out the market on July 1st, but that he eventually decided to resign in Colorado as it was the best offer he got. In that scenario the league can't exactly say that it's breaking the rules, can they?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It’s the league, they can do whatever they want. Take away draft picks, void contracts, etc. they investigated the Orpik buyout, they aren’t ignorant about these things.

Y’all, go look at and play with the Cap Friendly XD tool, you’ll get your answers there. Timmins is saved because he did not play one game in 2018-19.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
If Graves is exposed, I believe that he would be the pick for Seattle. A 25/26 year old 6'-5" defenseman with mobility that is signed for two more years is difficult to pass up. Bura, Kadri, Compher, and Jost likely would be of interest as well with the 4/4 arrangement, but I have to think that Graves is the selection, assuming that he is exposed (it seems like he would have to be with the 4/4 protection arrangement). With the possible loss of Graves and Cole departing, Sakic's building of defensive depth seems astute (Timmins, Byram, Helleson, Barron, Gilbert). Gilbert may be overlooked in that regard, although he could be exposed as well based on the rules (correct? - he could be of interest to Seattle as well).

Perhaps the confusion with Timmins arises from the definition of accrued seasons? It appears that the 2020 MOU only modified the 2012 CBA, and in the 2012 CBA it discusses 40 games played for an accrued season, but it also discusses including players on active rosters compared to injured reserves or lists (I did not spend too much time analyzing the details). It is difficult to imagine that Timmins is eligible for the expansion draft based on him missing the entire 2018-2019 season, but I know that others have expressed some doubt, which presumably arises from the definitions of active roster versus injured reserve/list status for Timmins during that one season. He was practicing with the Avs for at least a portion of that season although he did not play in the NHL or AHL.

I don't see Sakic arranging a trade with Seattle involving a first round draft pick. He has yet to trade a first round pick during his tenure and the Avs have not traded a first round pick in nearly a decade.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Its “professional season” is what counts for the XD. One game played in the AHL or a pro league at the age of 20+ would count but Timmins did not play one game therefore it’s not a season.

There should be better D for Seattle to take than Graves but we’ll see how his analytics shake out this season.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
If Jost plays well and Seattle thinks there is some untapped potential he could very easily be the pick. Low salary option that would allow them to maximize cap space.

Reactions: Balthazar

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Also depends who else is available for Seattle. Any team who is deep at a certain positions will be exposing a decent player.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Landeskog will not go to market, even as a fake move. He'll be re-signed before expansion draft.

I don't think the league is in any mood for creative tricks and considering how hard they slapped Arizona around for the draft thing, no team will risk it.

Seattle didn't pay $650M to get screwed right out of the gate.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Landeskog will not go to market, even as a fake move. He'll be re-signed before expansion draft.

I don't think the league is in any mood for creative tricks and considering how hard they slapped Arizona around for the draft thing, no team will risk it.

Seattle didn't pay $650M to get screwed right out of the gate.

The incentive is so small, too. I'm baffled that some people still talk about a possible handshake agreement like it makes any f***ing sense whatsoever.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The only good option is to have Johnson waive his NMC or buy him out. Landy isn’t going to go play for Seattle. We don’t want to lose Bura at the expense of keeping Johnson. Graves is on a decent contract and we can afford to lose him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad