Everything Avs...3 day break edition

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'm not sure Cole would clear. Despite what we think of him most teams would take him as a bottom pairing PK guy.

But I agree you can't put Byram and Timmins in the press box, and play Cole over them. They are just simply better players at this point in time.
Losing Cole to waivers is a gift to the Avs. A gift of valuable cap space to lose a guy that’s washed up. But sadly, he’d clear. Cole carries negative value. No team wants that 4.25mm contract on their books. We’d need an injury to the Avs or on another team to make Cole remotely appealing.

Reactions: AvsFan29

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He has a NMC. He has to be protected. If Joe showed loyalty towards Hejda he's going to do the same for EJ. I want him to be exposed I just don't see Joe doing it
He has a partial trade list. If EJ won’t waive, you just trade him. Take nothing but a 7th round pick in 2037 in return. If you can’t do that, then attach an asset to move EJ vs losing a much better, more healthy and younger player like Bura.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'd buy out EJ personally but I don't expect Sakic to do that.
There’s a chance that EJ may want a buy out. His health isn’t the best, and he could take the money and retire. He owns a company that breeds and races horses, so he may prefer to just go and do that. Who knows

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m the biggest Burakovsky fan out there. And I wouldn’t even be too upset if we lost him in expansion. Realize he’ll be a one year rental at that point anyway. 5M off the books for a guy we likely wouldn’t be able to re-sign a year later wouldn’t be the end of the world. We’ll need to replace him in the lineup but that probably wouldn’t be too hard with everyone in the league looking to shed salary.

I think EJ plays out his contract here

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There’s a chance that EJ may want a buy out. His health isn’t the best, and he could take the money and retire. He owns a company that breeds and races horses, so he may prefer to just go and do that. Who knows
In this case LTIR is better for both parties.

Reactions: AvsFan29

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
I’m the biggest Burakovsky fan out there. And I wouldn’t even be too upset if we lost him in expansion. Realize he’ll be a one year rental at that point anyway. 5M off the books for a guy we likely wouldn’t be able to re-sign a year later wouldn’t be the end of the world. We’ll need to replace him in the lineup but that probably wouldn’t be too hard with everyone in the league looking to shed salary.

I think EJ plays out his contract here

I disagree that it'll be easy to replace both Burakovsky and Saad with the flat cap. Ideally Newhook can step in right away, but that still leaves a Donskoi type on the 2nd line.

Seems less than ideal, especially since it's because an overpaid 4th d-man won't waive his NMC.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Jost plays well and Seattle thinks there is some untapped potential he could very easily be the pick. Low salary option that would allow them to maximize cap space.
If Jost plays well and resigns at a cheap contract he'll probably be our 7th forward protected.

The first 5 would easily be set, and with the last 2 spots you'd want to choose forwards who are the best bang-for-buck, which would likely be Nichuskin and Jost - thereby leaving Donskoi and Compher exposed (along with Saad though he's UFA anyways).
  1. Mackinnon
  2. Rantanen
  3. Landeskog
  4. Burakovsky
  5. Kadri
  6. Nichuskin
  7. Jost
Exposed: Donskoi, Compher, O'Connor, Saad, Calvert, Bellemare.

Reactions: Postanin CB Ting

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I disagree that it'll be easy to replace both Burakovsky and Saad with the flat cap. Ideally Newhook can step in right away, but that still leaves a Donskoi type on the 2nd line.

Seems less than ideal, especially since it's because an overpaid 4th d-man won't waive his NMC.
The point wasn't necessarily that it would be easy, but that it would be easier than replacing a top 4 Dman or a 2C. It's relative.

If we go 4+4 and protect Burakovsky then we lose Kadri (assuming that there's no funny business with Landeskog signing), and needless to say it would be preferable to lose Burakovsky instead of Kadri, due to the relative ease of replacing a 2RW compared to a 2C.

That said, consider how we acquired Burakovsky and Saad in the first place. Neither of them were expensive to acquire, and logically one would assume that Sakic can continue to find similar trade opportunities going forwards to replace Burakovsky if he were to get selected by Seattle. On the flip side though, it wasn't cheap to acquire a 2C in Kadri, costing a 50+ point RHD and a middle 6 C/LW. So again, due to the relative ease with which a forward can be replaced compared to a 2C or top 4 D, it would be preferable to expose Burakovsky ahead of Kadri if we were to go 4+4.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Guessing same defense on Tuesday unless they’re willing to throw Byram in earlier than anticipated.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He has a partial trade list. If EJ won’t waive, you just trade him. Take nothing but a 7th round pick in 2037 in return. If you can’t do that, then attach an asset to move EJ vs losing a much better, more healthy and younger player like Bura.
Thats what should happen. Im just doubtful it will happen.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

You make it sound like dealing a 32-year-old defenseman with a long history of serious injuries and just under $18 million remaining on his deal in a flat-cap NHL is somehow easy.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
You make it sound like dealing a 32-year-old defenseman with a long history of serious injuries and just under $18 million remaining on his deal in a flat-cap NHL is somehow easy.
The $2m buyout penalty would be less than the amount you’d have to retain to move him

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’m not sure. To me, EJ is a $4.5mm player making $6mm. He’s not Lucic or Loui E albatross of a contract. He’s probably tradable. Don’t know If the Avs need to retain or attach an asset. He’s 32, 33 and 34 thru the last 3 years of his deal, which includes this season. He’s going to be a player that can help someone. He’d help the Avs, I just wouldn’t let it be at the cost of Bura.
I also think there is a 0.00% chance he’d get picked by Seattle.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If Jost plays well and resigns at a cheap contract he'll probably be our 7th forward protected.

The first 5 would easily be set, and with the last 2 spots you'd want to choose forwards who are the best bang-for-buck, which would likely be Nichuskin and Jost - thereby leaving Donskoi and Compher exposed (along with Saad though he's UFA anyways).
  1. Mackinnon
  2. Rantanen
  3. Landeskog
  4. Burakovsky
  5. Kadri
  6. Nichuskin
  7. Jost
Exposed: Donskoi, Compher, O'Connor, Saad, Calvert, Bellemare.
Landy is a UFA. No need to protect him or Saad. If they want to sign with Seattle or anyone else, they can. Same goes for Calvert, Cole and PEB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad