I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We have 4 road games coming up:

Tuesday 8 PM MT: @ Kings
Thursday 8 PM MT: @ Kings
Friday 8 PM MT: @ Ducks
Sunday 6 PM MT: @ Ducks

Currently on a long 3 day off break....which is unusual for this season.

Byram and Timmins sent to the Taxi Squad.

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Our division is horrible outside of 3 teams. There are a few near month long streches where we don't play anyone decent. Such a soft schedule really shouldn't help our playoff preparation.

Cannot wait until Byram replace Cole.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The Avs will take advantage of that taxi squad all year for salary cap banking reasons. One of Byram/Timmins should likely be in the lineup Tuesday.
Yeah, there's really no reason to have more than 20 players on the active roster on days without games, especially 3 days in a row. This shuffling will save over $20k in capspace/salary in the next couple of days, and if they keep doing that over the course of the season and there will be a really nice bit of capspace to beef the roster up with at the deadline.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, there's really no reason to have more than 20 players on the active roster on days without games, especially 3 days in a row. This shuffling will save over $20k in capspace/salary in the next couple of days, and if they keep doing that over the course of the season and there will be a really nice bit of capspace to beef the roster up with at the deadline.
This will cost Timmins actual money right?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I think Timmins has earned the right to be in the lineup. Cole should be the one scratched.

Would you run with 7 D for a bit to get both Timmins and Byram some games? IDK which F you scratch. PEB? JTC?

Reactions: Gatorbait19

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I think Timmins has earned the right to be in the lineup. Cole should be the one scratched.

Would you run with 7 D for a bit to get both Timmins and Byram some games? IDK which F you scratch. PEB? JTC?
I’d keep both of them on the roster and waive Cole. He won’t get picked up, and he can sit on the taxi squad until we have injuries.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Cole would have to go through waivers, which is probably not something they want to do at the moment. I'm sure he'd not get claimed but there's still a risk...especially with EJ out.

Reactions: Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah he’s being paid as an AHL player while on the taxi squad. It’s a significant pay decrease.

another reason to get rid of Cole so we don’t piss our young guys off.

Yeah, I’m at the point now where I think it would just be easier to manage the defence without Cole.

As long as Byram doesn’t look completely out of place when he draws in, I’d see if I could move Cole. Byram/Timmins/Gilbert is more than enough depth on defence for the 6/7/8 D spots.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Life isn't fair, but it's the same for everyone. If you're waiver exempt you're going to be treated like a JoJo.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, I’m at the point now where I think it would just be easier to manage the defence without Cole.

As long as Byram doesn’t look completely out of place when he draws in, I’d see if I could move Cole. Byram/Timmins/Gilbert is more than enough depth on defence for the 6/7/8 D spots.

EJ will come back though...and Timmins makes it difficult to scratch him. Byram will need some injuries to get in.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020

The sooner some accept Cole will finish his contract here the better. EJ advocated for him, he is a veteran with Cup pedigree, he is ideal to serve as a #7 D and can slot in at any time.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
EJ will come back though...and Timmins makes it difficult to scratch him. Byram will need some injuries to get in.

Oh, sorry. I probably didn’t explain that very well.

When I said Timmins/Byram/Gilbert as the 6/7/8 D, I meant that EJ would already be in the lineup.

Toews, Makar, Graves, Girard, EJ, Byram, Timmins, and Gilbert. I would just give Byram/Timmins each 4/5 games and let them battle it out for the 6 spot. Gilbert can provide depth behind those guys.

Reactions: Balthazar

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
I live in southern California so every game this next week is blacked out. Yay.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This will cost Timmins actual money right?
Yup but in fairness he hasn’t really “earned” his spot on the team yet either. Makar could also be moved to the taxi squad without waivers but they wouldn’t do that because he’s an NHL player. I’m sure once one of Timmins/Byram really “make” the roster they won’t get the taxi squad treatment.

That little bit of extra money incentive probably isn’t a bad thing to help them work harder too.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The sooner some accept Cole will finish his contract here the better. EJ advocated for him, he is a veteran with Cup pedigree, he is ideal to serve as a #7 D and can slot in at any time.
I was earlier in favour of trading Cole, but after realising that we're going to have over $8m in capspace banked at the deadline by running a 20 or 21 man roster I changed my mind.

Having an experienced guy Cole as the 7th or 8th Dman is a luxury few teams have, and seeing as our cap situation is solid there's no reason to handcuff ourselves needlessly.

Should we suffer a couple of injuries in the playoffs I'd much rather have a well-rested Cole ready to step into the lineup rather than someone like Connauton.

I mean, already this far into the season we've been down to our 8th Dman in Cole due to Johnson being sidelined and Byram not been cleared to play until today.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Cole would have to go through waivers, which is probably not something they want to do at the moment. I'm sure he'd not get claimed but there's still a risk...especially with EJ out.
I think if Byram shows he can be a suitable replacement for Cole, they will waive Cole. I highly doubt he’ll be picked up, but if he is, that’s great. We have Gilbert/Barberio if we run into a bunch of injuries. Even if we lost Cole, we still have trouble getting Timmins into the lineup. We have 8 NHL D, and 6 spots.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why is Cole being protected. Cole should be put on waivers.
It’s a bit early for that. He sucks so far but they aren’t going to waive a veteran player like that because of two rough games. One of Timmins/Byram are going to have to outplay him over a large sample size before they waive Cole. I think it happens eventually but I think it’s still a ways away.

Reactions: Balthazar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad