Blue Jays Discussion: Everyone's hurt, but some are starting to make returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
I dont really have concerns longterm, though he may need a reboot for sure to get him going now. Dont expect him to be much more then a solid player anyhow.

Funny it spurred me to Google mlb slow starters. All of a sudden a pic of Cecil Fielder. Oops sent me to the other slow....

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I know, but how often does a player start hitless like this? It can still be concerning, even if it's only 9 games.

Its obviously not ideal, but I think after his great season last year he deserves the benefit of doubt.

Would be nice if he started showing up though.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Wow surprised they moved Roark to the pen. He is going to be pissed. But it was the right move. Glad Ray is back. Can't wait for Pearson to come back.

Hopefully one of Roark, Stripling, Zeuch or Kay improve to stay in the rotation or we need to make a trade.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Wow surprised they moved Roark to the pen. He is going to be pissed. But it was the right move. Glad Ray is back. Can't wait for Pearson to come back.

Hopefully one of Roark, Stripling, Zeuch or Kay improve to stay in the rotation or we need to make a trade.

The seems to be making decisions based on the need to win games.

Out of that group, Roark is done, Zeuch doesn’t have the stuff so that leaves Kay and Stripling. Thornton might deserve a chance as well.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Blue Jays had their first home rainout in 32 years today. The last came on May 7, 1989. It coincidentally was also against the Angels. In 1989, the Blue Jays moved into what is now Rogers Centre, but it wasn't ready at the start of 1989. They had to start the season at Exhibition Stadium. The Blue Jays opened their new retractable roof stadium on June 5 against the Brewers. The May 7 game against the Angels, intended to be played in Exhibition Stadium, was instead made up in the new stadium on July 17, the only time what is now Rogers Centre staged a doubleheader.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Their 1977 expansion cousins, the Mariners, only ever had one home rainout.

On July 21, 1994, the Mariners came to Fenway Park for a 4-game series with the Red Sox. It was supposed to be played in Seattle at the Kingdome, but a few days earlier part of the ceiling collapsed before a scheduled game against the Orioles, which ended up being called off. Denied the use of BC Place in Vancouver as their temporary stadium, the Mariners played the rest of the season on the road.

The July 21 game against the Red Sox was supposed to be the return of the Mariners to play. However, it rained in Boston that day, and the game was moved to Saturday as part of a doubleheader.

If one still counts the transplanted games as home games for the Mariners, July 21, 1994 marked the only time that the team was rained out at home. The successor to the Kingdome, what is now T-Mobile Park, has a retractable roof. But other factors beyond the team's control can cause home games to be postponed.

Four of the Mariners games rescheduled in the wake of the 9/11 attacks in 2001, the same season where the Mariners won 116 games, but have not been back to the playoffs since, were a home series with the Rangers.

The Mariners in 2020 also had a home series with the A's postponed due to COVID-19 issues, and a home game against the Giants postponed due to air quality issues in the wake of a wildfire, five straight home games against the Giants and Padres were relocated to California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad