Blue Jays Discussion: Everyone's hurt, but some are starting to make returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

No Springer again. "Planned rest day" appearantly.

Interesting to see the infield moved around, with Bichette at DH.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Blue Jays mailbag: Don’t count on a trade in next two months to stabilize makeshift rotation | The Star

The Blue Jays have been able to float by on their makeshift rotation for the first 27 games and it’s worked relatively well. At what point is an acquisition made to stabilize the rotation or is it made from within?

— James T. Mitchell, Ontario

The Blue Jays have made it through one month with their current staff and they’ll likely need to survive at least two more before help is brought in from the outside. This isn’t the time of year big moves get made and the rumours aren’t going to start picking up until teams across the league start falling out of contention and begin looking ahead to 2022.

The general rule of thumb used to be that the trade market didn’t start heating up until after the annual MLB draft, which usually takes place in early June. That won’t be the case this year because the draft was moved back to July 11, which means teams are going to explore trades at the same time they are dedicating a lot of resources to the amateur ranks.

For now, any improvement will have to come from within. Nate Pearson and Alek Manoah have already begun their seasons at Triple-A Buffalo while Hyun-Jin Ryu is still expected to return from the injured list to start later this week in Oakland. Thomas Hatch, who has been out all year with an elbow injury, is another name to keep an eye on but his return isn’t imminent and could extend into June.

If the Blue Jays find themselves in a serious contending position come deadline, do you think the Jays trade one of their top prospects for legit top-quality SP help and if so, who would you ideally target? In order to get within striking distance, don’t we need greater starting pitching depth?

— Nick, Hamilton

That depends on your definition of a top prospect. If you’re talking about someone like Nate Pearson, Austin Martin, Jordan Groshans or Simeon Woods Richardson — the top four ranked prospects by MLB Pipeline — the answer is no. The only way someone like that gets moved is if it’s for a big piece that comes with multiple years of control, and even then, it would signal a big change in the approach by the front office.

Players who are further down that list are the ones more likely to be dealt. Gabriel Moreno and Riley Adams are two young catchers who could be shopped, infielder Orelvis Martinez is a candidate to have a breakout season and there’s a long list of less familiar names within the club’s top 30 that likely would be made available.

To specifically answer your question, yes, I expect the Blue Jays to trade prospects. They did that last year by acquiring Robbie Ray, Taijuan Walker and Ross Stripling but those guys came cheap because of the abbreviated schedule. The cost this year should be much higher, but that doesn’t mean it will include one of the top guys. Assuming the San Francisco Giants eventually fall out of first place, right-hander Kevin Gausman is a logical candidate and someone the Blue Jays have been tied to before.

Reactions: CatchyTune

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Pearson done after 3 and 2/3. Was on a pitch count and he looked to get tired near the end probably because his arm isn't fully stretched. Struck out 8, walked one, and 4 hits allowed. 3 were soft contact

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I know I've been informed that it is not the accepted definition, but I will never not think that "struck out the side" should be 3 up, 3 down, all strikeouts with no other batters faced. Because "the side" is all the collective batters that the pitcher faces. If someone gets a walk or a hit then part of the side didn't get struck out.
Oh I'm with you. It's just the common accepted notion is 3 K's in an inning no matter what else happened.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Kloff on the hill tonight for Vancouver

SWR is the scheduled pitcher for NH tomorrow. Buffalo is going with Allgeyer instead of Manoah.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Kloff struggles a bit in the 3rd with a couple walks but gets out of it unscathed. Through 3 with no runs, 3 K's, 2 BB and 3 hits.

Reactions: thehockeysong

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Kloff walks 2 more in 4(picks one of them off) and gets pulled after 3.2 IP. Didn't give up a run but 4 walks isn't great.

Also from Dunedin Martinez went 0 for 4 with a walk and Hiraldo went 1 for 5.

Reactions: thehockeysong

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
A chance to make a little extra money in Buffalo. Maybe I’ll buy a dump home in buffalo so I can come and go across the border lol. They must have planned the bisons schedule around the jays

Aren't the Bisons playing their home games in Trenton right now?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Turned the game off after the 6th. Just didn't look like the bats had it.

Don't think they were ready for Irvin to throw at a blistering pace like he did because holy God damn did he work in quick order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad