Blue Jays Discussion: Everyone's hurt, but some are starting to make returns

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by The Nemesis, Apr 5, 2021.

1. CatchyTune JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Thats actually a pretty exciting team. Any Pearson/Manoah start will be worth tuning into.

Funny seeing Rowdy there. But doubt he is there that long

Anthrax442 and Puckstuff like this.
  2. Blitzkrug TUA TIME BAYBEE

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Student
    I'd rather my guys sit (especially if it's early in the season) instead of risking foolish injury. How many hockey players have cut years off their career playing through injuries that should be debilitating? Shit Ryan Kesler's prime pretty much ended after a career season in 2011 after he tried to play through a brutal hip injury in the playoffs. Within a couple years the guy couldn't even get dressed or leave the arena under his own power because he was so screwed up.

Springer is signed until 2027. Ideally you'd like to see that deal through without causing an acceleration of what will probably be a natural decline

3. hockeywiz542 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  4. CatchyTune JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000

"Randal Grichuk since the start of 2020: 81 games, .281/.321/.487, 122 OPS+. On a 162-game pace of 34 home runs and 2.6 WAR."

pretty interesting. he is an underrated asset.

Discoverer and phillipmike like this.
  5. BlueForever75 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Its horrible that this has all gone down. I really hope that an appropriate investigation was conducted prior to all of this happening as it did.

I really do not understand how anyone in their right mind wait 7 years to come out with something like this. That is very puzzling to me. If someone is hurt or going through tough times mentally because of these alleged actions, why did it take 7 years to come out? I just dont get how these things happen and why? If you were abused or harassed, come out and state so when it happens. Not 7 years later when you would think the participants have moved on. Something doesnt sit well with me on this. Was it a relationship that their was consent by both parties gone bad? Was it a one night stand with promise not acted on by Alomar?

Listen dont get me wrong I am totally against harassments or sexual abuse at the work place. But Alomar? A Hall of Famer? Works for MLB and Blue Jays? Has lots of money? And because I am comfortable with my sexuality, a very attractive man. It just doesnt make sense. I would love to get more details on this accusation and Alomar's involvement.

Just a very sad time to hear one of your all time favorites is going down for something like this.

6. Discoverer Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The fact that people come forward years later all the time - and, more frequently, never do - should tell you these situations are a hell of a lot more complicated for the victim than "come out and state so when it happens" would suggest.

Also, it's hilarious that you seem to think it's strange that a rich, talented, attractive guy could also be a creep/asshole.

WeThreeKings, aingefan and canucksfan like this.
  7. Discoverer Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He seems to have pulled a bit of a Smoak starting last year by easing up and trying to put the ball in play and let his natural power do the work instead of trying to hit everything five miles.

2019 - 26.0% K-rate (the best of his career to that point)
    2020 - 21.2%
    2021 - 18.6%

It's been a pretty remarkable turnaround given how much everything seemed to fall apart for him in 2019.

CatchyTune likes this.
  8. Deebo Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    There's a good chance that if she said something 7 years ago, nothing would have happened. We have all seen nothing happen to Alomar and plenty of others inside and outside of sports many times in the past.

Seeing others people come forward and watching offenders actually suffer consequences over the last few years might have made her feel more comfortable coming forward now.

9. Deebo Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  10. Blitzkrug TUA TIME BAYBEE

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Student
    I'm fine with the Hall's decision to leave his plaque up.

The Blue Jays have every right to disassociate themselves with Alomar since he was directly representing them. The hall of fame is more of a historical museum type thing that has plenty of awful people in it already. Since it's more just recording the history of the game he can stay. Because awful person or not you can't deny he's one of the best to ever play his position.

Forgotusername likes this.
  11. dredeye BJ Elitist/Hipster

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Oh damn. That’s quite a bit more serious

12. Gargyn Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Springer out. But but but...it’s just fatigue. Ya right. Nobody believes you Charlie.

TheMadHatTrick and trellaine201 like this.
  13. Canada4Gold Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Some of my initial thoughts with the Jays minor league rosters

Buffalo:

[​IMG]

Great top 2 in the rotation in Pearson and Manoah. Very surpised they seem to be planning on using Joey Murray out of the pen though per this Ben Wagner tweet outlining a rotation without Murray in it

The rest of the roster is without any surprises. Some good depth with guys like Rowdy and Palacios there, as well as some guys with MLB upside like Wall, Urena, McGuire. We'll see if Kevin Smith just had an allergy to AA because he's been awful ever since he arrived there like 3 years ago now getting his first taste of AAA. Warmoth still exists.

New Hampshire

[​IMG]

This is the fun roster. SWR, Groshans, Martin and Moreno. Then there's Luciano, Lopez, and Young. No Justin Maese as listed on their online roster the other day though. Jon Harris still exists.

Vancouver

[​IMG]

Here's where Maese lands. When I didn't see him in New Hampshire I thought maybe they wanted to keep him close to the minor league complex in Dunedin for health reasons but he finds a spot in an interesting Vancouver pitching staff with Kloffenstein, CJ Van Eyk, as well as former catching prospect Hagen Danner who might have been a better pitcher than catcher when we drafted him. Lets see if the fallback position fits. Not a huge fan of the position player group here. Will Robertson played in Vancouver 2 years ago after being drafted and now gets promoted 2 levels to... Vancouver. I would guess he's far from the only one. Kloffenstein also comes to mind, and I'm sure there are others. Seems like a lot of that 2019 day 2 of the draft is here with Morris, Neal, Clarke, and Talley as well.

Dunedin

[​IMG]

The first thing that stood out to me here is no Dasan Brown on any roster. I was expecting him in full season ball, maybe he's injured, maybe he's still too young. The 2nd thing that stood out to me is I can't wait to see Orelvis in full season ball. Some other fun names here in Hiraldo, Zulueta who they must be trying as a starter to find himself this low. Sem Robberse is the only one of our 2019 IFA class to find his way to full season ball at 19 years of age. Zac Britton also here from the 2020 draft class but apparently was listed as a catcher on a more specific version of the roster which is interesting.

Jays top 30 prospects per MLB.com that aren't listed anywhere:

12. Leo Jimenez
    13. Estiven Machado
    14. Eric Pardinho
    15. Dasan Brown
    16. Rikelvin De Castro
    19. Manual Beltre
    23. Nick Frasso
    24. Trent Palmer
    26. TJ Zeuch

Machado, De Castro, and Beltre are very young so they make sense. Zeuch is apparently in the AAA rotation per Wagner but not listed here, perhaps that's a clerical error or maybe they're waiting until it's his turn before they pull him off the MLB IL. Pardinho the last I heard is still recovering from Tommy John and will be assigned when he's ready. I am surprised to not see Jimenez, Brown, Frasso or Palmer. Murphy also not listed but he's also on the MLB IL.

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 7:04 PM
  14. Canada4Gold Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    In Hip Flexor related news Luis Robert tore his hip flexor and is out 12-16 weeks. Get better soon Kirk.

Meanwhile we have Danny Jackson.

15. CatchyTune JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    im trying to make a Michael Jackson joke but i cant think of one...

16. Discoverer Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    1988 Danny Jackson would be a great fit on this team!

CatchyTune likes this.
  17. CatchyTune JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Fun fact: George Springer has more home runs in 15 AB's than Francisco Lindor does in 82. Also both have the same amount of RBI's.

Not that it matters. I just remember the complaining when we didnt get Lindor...

18. The Nemesis Semper Tyrannus

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Awards:
    That Dunedin roster is exciting if for no other reason than it gives me hope that they will form a good chunk of the 2022 Vancouver roster when I might actually get to watch the C's again (they're playing this season in Boise to avoid having to deal with border crossing issues to compete with the rest of the NWL)

I just want the chance to watch Hiraldo and Martinez in person.

CherryToke likes this.
  19. Canada4Gold Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    On that note are the Fisher Cats our only affiliate who are in their home park this year? Vancouver and Toronto obviously not because of boarder issues. Dunedin can't because the Jays are playing there, and I believe I heard Buffalo was playing in Trenton instead because of potential that the Jays move to Buffalo to finish their season at some point?

20. Blitzkrug TUA TIME BAYBEE

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Student
    Lindor will bounce back. He's too good of a player not to. Not every player can hit like .420 like Trout is to open the season

...At least for the Mets sake i hope he does.

CatchyTune likes this.
  21. Blitzkrug TUA TIME BAYBEE

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Student
    Here's how it is for Jansen; He gets this Kirk-less stretch to prove he's still worth a damn. If the results are not up to par, he's riding pine and Kirk gets the job

Probably a 4-6 week injury for Kirk so that's enough of a sample size considering he hit like trash last year too. His defense alone probably means at absolute worst he's a serviceable career backup/journeyman but you need more from his bat. He doesn't need to be Mike Piazza but he still needs to be better.

Matz i'm not panicking over quite yet. He did get hit pretty hard in his last two starts, but he also had 4 really good starts prior. Let's see how he comes out for his next start before making any judgements.

22. Hoverhand Barry Trotzky

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Absolutely not imo.

He'll get plenty of reps as the backup catcher but you gotta start immediately giving Riley Adams games to see what you got in him, starting tomorrow.

As long as Riley Adams slashes .200/.250/.300 he'll be doubling Danny Jansen's production.

23. dredeye BJ Elitist/Hipster

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He’s also getting booed

CatchyTune likes this.
  24. theaub 34-38-61-10-13-15

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    So is Springer because 75% of the fans in Dunedin cheer for the other team.

25. Anthrax442 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    Cant wait to see The Big Engine in action