Blue Jays Discussion: Everyone's hurt, but some are starting to make returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Who f***ed up and had him return too soon? How long is he going to sit out now? Obviously I want him back 100%, but this is concerning. Not a good look.

I'm usually positive but this situation is stupid. He clearly wasn't 100%. It's not the World Series, sit him more if needed. Instead they tried to play when he wasn't 100% and now he could be gone for longer.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Who f***ed up and had him return too soon? How long is he going to sit out now? Obviously I want him back 100%, but this is concerning. Not a good look.

I think part of it was Springer himself. When he was getting ready to come back he made a bunch of comments about not wanting to sit on the sidelines and pushing to get out there and all that. I get the sense that he probably downplayed how he was feeling in order to get the team to reinstate him early.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Is it too early to finger point our athletic training staff?

We've got just so many injuries. Either these guys aren't taking care if themselves well or they aren't being trained well.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

We've got just so many injuries. Either these guys aren't taking care if themselves well or they aren't being trained well.
There are a lot of injuries across the league this year. We aren't the only one.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Phelps just left the mound pretty much in tears warming up before closing out the game. These injuries are so unfortunate, hope it’s nothing serious and he’s able to pitch again this season

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Also interesting was a few paragraphs at the end with Ben Cherington, former VP of Baseball Ops from '16 to '19 with the Jays. He said (on teams trying to gather as much information as possible, and players possibly being reluctant to co-operate):

“One of the hurdles we tried to clear in Toronto — I’m not sure we ever did — was getting past the notion a player might have that any kind of information leads to shutdown. In fact, it was the opposite.​

High performance can’t help the players if they don’t take the help or aren’t honest with their injuries.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Mock draft: No Leiter, Rocker at No. 1?
19. Blue Jays: Joe Mack, C, Williamsville East HS (East Amherst, N.Y.)
Mack's high school season has yet to begin, but he starred on the showcase circuit and is a no-doubt catcher with an advanced approach at the plate.

Would be unfortunate to have guys like Hoglund and Madden go before 19, and have guys like McLain, Montgomery, Bachman and Painter go right in front of us.

Seems like Hoglund and Madden will go much higher. Bachman is looking like my favourite arm in our range.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Mock draft: No Leiter, Rocker at No. 1?

Would be unfortunate to have guys like Hoglund and Madden go before 19, and have guys like McLain, Montgomery, Bachman and Painter go right in front of us.

Seems like Hoglund and Madden will go much higher. Bachman is looking like my favourite arm in our range.
If we're taking a catcher I'm taking Harry Ford before Joe Mack. More explosive pure tools.

I take Cusick or Baez before both though, and at least consider Stovall.

Cusick has better pitch data (fastball spin) than Bachman. Better size, and a more free and easy delivery too. Would give us another 6'6 guy who throws 100mph. Just needs to improve command.

Imagine:

Nate 6'6
Manoah 6'7
Cusick 6'6

Reactions: phillipmike

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If we're taking a catcher I'm taking Harry Ford before Joe Mack. More explosive pure tools.

I take Cusick or Baez before both though, and at least consider Stovall.

Cusick has better pitch data (fastball spin) than Bachman. Better size, and a more free and easy delivery too. Would give us another 6'6 guy who throws 100mph. Just needs to improve command.

Imagine:

Nate 6'6
Manoah 6'7
Cusick 6'6

The big takeaway here for me is that Harry Ford and Joe Mack both sound like players from the 1920's, not the 2020's.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Maese went the 1 inning with Vancouver last night. No runs or hits, walking 1 and striking out 1, throwing more balls than strikes. Guess that answers the question I had whether he was going to start or pitch out of the pen.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Maese went the 1 inning with Vancouver last night. No runs or hits, walking 1 and striking out 1, throwing more balls than strikes. Guess that answers the question I had whether he was going to start or pitch out of the pen.
It’s been a long time for him. Slow burn back.
Pretty cruel what happened to Gabriel Ponce.
And in Buffalo, Nick Allgeyer was very good in his AAA debut: 6ip, 4 bb+h, 1 hr, and 6k’s.
Jackson Rees with a scoreless inning too,

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

This has to be wrong because I'm not convinced Maese actually exists.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008

Mack vs. Ford is one of the most intriguing "matchups" in this draft. I get the sense that Mack is a more advanced hitter (and possibly more refined as a fielder despite Ford having catching tools to project) and I've seen Mason McCrae post some things that suggest his advanced swing metrics are very impressive/optimal. He's also a cold-weather kid so he gets a boost for lower reps on the developmental side. This might be one of those scenarios where "louder tools" tricks you into selecting the weaker "on field" player - not that there is anything wrong with Ford.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Opinion | Blue Jays mailbag: Don’t count on a trade in next two months to stabilize makeshift rotation
If the Blue Jays find themselves in a serious contending position come deadline, do you think the Jays trade one of their top prospects for legit top-quality SP help and if so, who would you ideally target? In order to get within striking distance, don’t we need greater starting pitching depth?
— Nick, Hamilton

That depends on your definition of a top prospect. If you’re talking about someone like Nate Pearson, Austin Martin, Jordan Groshans or Simeon Woods Richardson — the top four ranked prospects by MLB Pipeline — the answer is no. The only way someone like that gets moved is if it’s for a big piece that comes with multiple years of control, and even then, it would signal a big change in the approach by the front office.

Players who are further down that list are the ones more likely to be dealt. Gabriel Moreno and Riley Adams are two young catchers who could be shopped, infielder Orelvis Martinez is a candidate to have a breakout season and there’s a long list of less familiar names within the club’s top 30 that likely would be made available.

To specifically answer your question, yes, I expect the Blue Jays to trade prospects. They did that last year by acquiring Robbie Ray, Taijuan Walker and Ross Stripling but those guys came cheap because of the abbreviated schedule. The cost this year should be much higher, but that doesn’t mean it will include one of the top guys. Assuming the San Francisco Giants eventually fall out of first place, right-hander Kevin Gausman is a logical candidate and someone the Blue Jays have been tied to before.

Sign me up for Gausman;

Ryu
Ray
Gausman
Matz
Pearson
Stripling

Would be solid.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010

Injuries are a byproduct of athletes today who work out so much putting stress on their joints and bodies. You never saw John Kruk or Cecil Fielder pull a muscle lol

Maybe the lack of flexibility from strength training results in more joint issues.

For pitchers is simply the fact kids starting throwing curveballs in Little League and that just wears on a young elbow. Kids put so much stress on each pitch to maximize the speed and velocity they hurt their arms. You never saw Greg Maddux excert beyond his limits but was effective

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I think we all knew this was going to be how it ended. That contract was questionable at the time even with the presumption that he could still have a few good years in LA. It became downright radioactive when his play cratered almost immediately (though, if people were being really honest his last season in St. Louis probably should've been a warning sign)

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Phelps “only” with a right lat strain, on 10 day IL. Could’ve been lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad