Speculation: Evander Kane's Twitter favorites Philadelphia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Quite the mental gymnastics meet going on in this thread.

It's pretty clear Kane wants out of Winnipeg. I hope he doesn't get his wish and despises every second of his tenure. He's exactly the type who deserves to be taken down a notch or two.

I can see how that would help the team.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Honestly I don't see this as anything other than Evander being Evander and I highly doubt it makes a difference. He is signed here long term and if we are trying to trade him for value that is fine but otherwise I am sure he will show up ready to go this fall?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Honestly I don't see this as anything other than Evander being Evander and I highly doubt it makes a difference. He is signed here long term and if we are trying to trade him for value that is fine but otherwise I am sure he will show up ready to go this fall?

He doesn't strike me as a guy who would decide that he'd rather float around than win.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He doesn't strike me as a guy who would decide that he'd rather float around than win.

He was mad after we missed the playoffs in 2013. Came flying out of the gate early this season. Tired of losing I think. Although he shouldn't be hoping to go to Philly if that's the case.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

There may come a day when this happens but up until now say what you will about Kane but he has always brought it on the ice.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think this is the first time I've been 100% in agreement with Resurrection. :laugh:

Exceptional athletes tend to be this way - he's certainly not the only young, talented player who's "brash". I don't give a hoot what he's like off the ice - his transgressions are so minor, they're laughable. The fact he shows up and plays the game well and with passion is all that matters to me.

How should he act, in your eyes?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Man, seems like a lot of people have their priorities mixed up.
If a player shows up and works hard I'm happy.
He can be obnoxious on social media and indifferent to the city, just do your job. And Kane does that.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Exceptional athletes tend to be this way - he's certainly not the only young, talented player who's "brash". I don't give a hoot what he's like off the ice - his transgressions are so minor, they're laughable. The fact he shows up and plays the game well and with passion is all that matters to me.

Like he wants to be on the team.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Man, seems like a lot of people have their priorities mixed up.
If a player shows up and works hard I'm happy.
He can be obnoxious on social media and indifferent to the city, just do your job. And Kane does that.

I find it amazing that people in a city that supposedly will have problems attracting free agents wants a top producing player run out of town because of twitter and money phones. But hey, I guess I've been young and stupid too. Luckily, I didn't have millions to show off my idiocy with.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I heard Engblom talking about Kane and saying the same thing he mentioned "As a teammate you want your best players to want the puck and want to shot it and to be overflowing with self confidence" Brian was making the case for Kane “as isâ€

Kane may have his faults but it’s hard to argue with his on ice compete level.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I find it amazing that people in a city that supposedly will have problems attracting free agents wants a top producing player run out of town because of twitter and money phones. But hey, I guess I've been young and stupid too. Luckily, I didn't have millions to show off my idiocy with.

Me too: I'm ridiculously glad that there was no 'social media' when I was young. It would haunt me - I did stupid things that would make Kane blush. :laugh:

I agree with the sentiment regarding running players out of town too. :(

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Me too: I'm ridiculously glad that there was no 'social media' when I was young. It would haunt me - I did stupid things that would make Kane blush. :laugh:

I agree with the sentiment regarding running players out of town too. :(

So what would you do with a player who clearly wants off your team and will go so far as to stir up the media to suit his interests?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Heck, all our players have faults. Buff is fat. Toby is a stand in for Tyrion Lannister. Trouba sees hot ladies in the end boards. Bogosian is a stand in for Bran Stark. Scheifele isn't Couturier.

And Kane is seemingly stupid. But he is a damn good hockey player.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Like he wants to be on the team.

Nobody knows the context of the tweet and whether he was just having fun or not. Either way even if he is a malcontent and wants out we still need to maximize value. Going "Fire Sale" on arguably our top asset is a sure fire way to perpetuate our suboptimal results and extend them further into the future.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
So what would you do with a player who clearly wants off your team and will go so far as to stir up the media to suit his interests?

A player that brings it every night? Keep playing him. If I were to trade him, it would be on my terms, not his.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
A player that brings it every night? Keep playing him. If I were to trade him, it would be on my terms, not his.

Then we agree. Like I said, I would have a warm sense of schadenfreude if he doesn't get his wish.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
and what if he does things to try and force your hand and make things difficult for you?

White Out 403*

the logical fallacy going on in this thread is mind numbing. Young +good=brash and stupid jerk. No it doesn't. Where are Jeff Skinners controversies? Troubas? Taylor Halls? The list goes on. Evander Kane is a pompous ****** canoe and I don't want him as a Jet. Trouba will be twice the player he ever will be and he goes about his business in a respectable way. I'll take that kind of superstar on my team anyday.

I'm sure there were people defending Chad Johnson too when he was young with this ludicrous defence. Young jerks tend to become old jerks.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
the logical fallacy going on in this thread is mind numbing. Young +good=brash and stupid jerk. No it doesn't. Where are Jeff Skinners controversies? Troubas? Taylor Halls? The list goes on. Evander Kane is a pompous ****** canoe and I don't want him as a Jet. Trouba will be twice the player he ever will be and he goes about his business in a respectable way. I'll take that kind of superstar on my team anyday.

I'm sure there were people defending Chad Johnson too when he was young with this ludicrous defence. Young jerks tend to become old jerks.

No one is claiming that all young good hockey players act the way Kane does. That would be a straw man, which is a logical fallacy.

However, a lot of young people do stupid ****, then they grow up. And some people never grow up. They are, thankfully, the minority.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

Your issue is unrelated to his play. That's the disconnect.
You care about off ice things, and that totally fine. I prioritize the on ice performance. To me, thats going about his business.

You don't like Kane the person, I care about Kane the hockey player.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
the logical fallacy going on in this thread is mind numbing. Young +good=brash and stupid jerk. No it doesn't. Where are Jeff Skinners controversies? Troubas? Taylor Halls? The list goes on. Evander Kane is a pompous ****** canoe and I don't want him as a Jet. Trouba will be twice the player he ever will be and he goes about his business in a respectable way.

Young jerks tend to become old jerks.

Seriously? Who gives a **** if he goes about his business in a respectable way as long as he goes about his business? We're not paying him to work customer service, we're paying him to score goals. Besides, he's done what? Tweeted a picture of himself holding money to his ear?

Hockey fans are so weird when it comes to players' personal lives sometimes. Maybe he'll grow up, maybe he won't. As long as he keeps producing, it's all good.

In my opinion, he's screwing with the media. We're all aware he's young and impulsive. Let's be honest - if, when you were 22, you knew you could just favourite one tweet and our ridiculous media would chew on it for a month straight, would that not be tempting? I mean, the guy favourited one tweet and we're already 3 pages and ~70 replies into it, it is kind of funny.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, I think he's a jerk ftmp. Sure, he seems to be giving a good effort on the ice, but you know what? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he goes to another team and suddenly loses his bad habits of spamming shots from anywhere and trying to do everything by himself all the time.

White Out 403*

No one is claiming that all young good hockey players act the way Kane does. That would be a straw man, which is a logical fallacy.

However, a lot of young people do stupid ****, then they grow up. And some people never grow up. They are, thankfully, the minority.

I think you're heavily suggesting that young people in the NHL tend to act this way and that's why it shouldn't be a big deal. I shouldn't say you're saying all young NHL stars do, but that's the implication. He's young and brash so we can understand kind of thing.

I disagree though because his young stupid behavior is showing up in the media a lot and is a distraction imo. He's a distraction where the vast majority of other young players aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad