Rumor: Evander Kane

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
he's really not worth what it would cost

this is a guy with 1 30 goal season that's never scored more than 57 points,you can say he's 22 but this is also his 5th season in the NHL now and it's not like he hasn't been getting minutes or powerplay time

His 30 goal season came in the last full NHL season in 11/12.

I'm pretty sure that 08/09 was the last season where a Wing player scored 30 or more (Z, D & Franzen all did it), and those 3 guys definitely aren't getting any younger. And we're not exactly lighting the lamp as a team this season.

I won't hold it against him for only being 22 yrs old with 5 years in the NHL under his belt. Gotta figure that there's still room for him to mature and improve as a player- I mean, we coddle the hell out of our prospects and make excuses (some valid) on why they aren't playing great or making a large impact on the team... and those guys are usually approaching or are in their mid-20's.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
he's really not worth what it would cost

this is a guy with 1 30 goal season that's never scored more than 57 points,you can say he's 22 but this is also his 5th season in the NHL now and it's not like he hasn't been getting minutes or powerplay time

when was the last time wings had a guy like that?

look at the list of guys who have scored 30 goals at the age of 20. it's pretty damn impressive.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'd give up Mrazek, a top forward prospect, top d prospect, a 1st, and expiring contracts in a second.

i really don't want to give up on mrazek.. but he won't be a deal breaker for a player like kane. would rather give up more some other way but jets would probably look mrazek from wings. if anything, as to me it doesn't make much sense to trade guy like kane just for potential.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Like always it all depends on package, we probably have the pieces depending on what kind of package they are truly looking at, but it is going to cost. If they made it happen I would evaluate it then, to be honest this is a hard package to truly craft, but keep in mind in most of these proposals Evander Kane has a 5.25 Million Cap hit, we are going to have to send back money as well.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Kane's only 22 and is signed for like the next 4 or 5 years. He's the ideal player to trade for as long as it doesn't cost a player like Mantha + multiple 1sts and other high end prospects. I have no idea what prospects, or NHL ready players the Jets would be interested in. I'd pretty much sell my soul to acquire Evander if I was Ken Holland.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
His 30 goal season came in the last full NHL season in 11/12.

I'm pretty sure that 08/09 was the last season where a Wing player scored 30 or more (Z, D & Franzen all did it), and those 3 guys definitely aren't getting any younger. And we're not exactly lighting the lamp as a team this season.

I won't hold it against him for only being 22 yrs old with 5 years in the NHL under his belt. Gotta figure that there's still room for him to mature and improve as a player- I mean, we coddle the hell out of our prospects and make excuses (some valid) on why they aren't playing great or making a large impact on the team... and those guys are usually approaching or are in their mid-20's.

last year he played all 48 games and paced less than the 11-12 both in goals and points(paced 29 goals and 56 points over 82 games which is 1 less goal and 1 less point than he had in 74 the year before)

this year he's even worse with only 6 goals and 13 points in 21 games

and there's a big difference in the development stage of 22 year olds that have been in the NHL since they were being drafted and 22 year olds entering the NHL for the first time

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I'm just curious; do people think a legitimate, YOUNG, big, checking, speedy scoring top 6 winger is just going to fall into the lap of Ken Holland and the Red Wings? Because judging by reading this, I think people do.

Detroit isn't a destination team anymore, nor are free agents going to take a discount just to play here.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I'm just curious; do people think a legitimate, YOUNG, big, checking, speedy scoring top 6 winger is just going to fall into the lap of Ken Holland and the Red Wings? Because judging by reading this, I think people do.

Detroit isn't a destination team anymore, nor are free agents going to take a discount just to play here.

based on what exactly? missing on Suter? so did half the league

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
last year he played all 48 games and paced less than the 11-12 both in goals and points(paced 29 goals and 56 points over 82 games which is 1 less goal and 1 less point than he had in 74 the year before)

this year he's even worse with only 6 goals and 13 points in 21 games

and there's a big difference in the development stage of 22 year olds that have been in the NHL since they were being drafted and 22 year olds entering the NHL for the first time

We have no idea if any of our hotshot forward prospects will ever pan out into 30 goal scorers. Kane pulled that off at age 20. Advantage Kane.

His 6 goals this season would have him 3rd on the team, and he'd be 4th in points with 13. Not bad when you're behind Z & D in both categories, and he'd likely be scoring more in Detroit with one of those 2 as his center.

22 year olds who are new to the league will obviously have a larger development jump than a guy who's in his 5th season at the same age- they have to adjust to the NHL and are working up from ground zero. He's already established a successful track record.

And again, he'd be bringing the legit power forward aspect to the team, and unless Mantha has an edge to this game, we have no one on the horizon coming up who could fill that role.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
With Trouba, Enstrom, Buff, and Bogo I don't think the Jets are going to be looking for dmen in a trade.

Realistically the Wings would need to trade one of either Franzen or Quincey and probably Tootoo (at least they'd get a local draw) just to make the cap work. I don't think anyone is going to take the Franzen contract, so it'd likely be Quincey.

Nyquist would 100% be going the other way as he is NHL ready, and they are going to want someone to replace at least some of Kane's offense.

Mrzaek is probably who'd they want prospect wise since they don't really have a franchise goalie, and Petr has the potential. If not they'd probably want Mantha or Jurco.

Quincey + Tootoo+ Nyquist+Mrzaek+1st

We might need to add more, but I think that'd at least draw interest if he wants out of town. I'd probably be ok giving that up too, even though I love both Mrzaek and Nyquist. Anything more then that and you are really pushing the system. I'd maybe be ok adding a guy like Jensen or A2 but not much else, and that is even starting to push it for me. Kane really addresses a need in our system, however that we aren't likely to address unless we get a top 10 pick.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

He's under contract thru the 17/18 season and doesn't have a NTC so he'd have basically no say in the matter if the Jets moved him in a trade to Detroit.

Agree that FA's aren't taking discounts to play here anymore but don't think that's relevant to Kane's situation.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
A coach that the players hate and a team trending downward with their two superstars on the wrong side of 32.

Detroit's not a stalked team anymore and a lot of other cities are more desirable. Money speaks and I don't think Holland will want to pay the cost for top free agents

this is all just speculation though,the Wings did just land two good free agents in the offseason

and different players look for different things,I would suggest that the Wings are still one of if not the top destinations for Swedish players for example

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
this is all just speculation though,the Wings did just land two good free agents in the offseason

and different players look for different things,I would suggest that the Wings are still one of if not the top destinations for Swedish players for example

Weiss is somewhat local and the Wings offered him the best deal more than likely and promised a better situation. He was also coming off any injury. So wow! They overpaid for a 40 year old who is best friends with half the team who thought he was gonna be playing on a line with Datsyuk and Z.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
These Kane rumors go around every year, though. So I don't know if I take it with more than a grain of salt.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Weiss is somewhat local and the Wings offered him the best deal more than likely and promised a better situation. He was also coming off any injury. So wow! They overpaid for a 40 year old who is best friends with half the team who thought he was gonna be playing on a line with Datsyuk and Z.

They didn't overpay for Alfredsson, that's what players of his caliber go for on a 1 year deal. Not to mention he's a point per game.

I don't see how Holland having an edge on those two free agents can be considered a negative.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

If rumors are to be believed Weiss had more money on the table from St. Louis.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Detroit's not a stalked team anymore and a lot of other cities are more desirable. Money speaks and I don't think Holland will want to pay the cost for top free agents

None of those reasons are why Detroit lost out on Suter.

Honestly, the only time Detroit was a "stalked" team was in 2002 when they added Hasek in a trade to go along with an already all-star roster and in 2009 when Hossa wanted to go to a team that had won the cup and wasn't going to lose any major pieces to their roster. I never got the "prime place to play" argument when there have always been teams that could compete with Detroit for free agents in the last 20 years.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Kane is only 22 is he still waiver exempt? If so he would be perfect for Holland and look great on the Griffins :sarcasm:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
He's under contract thru the 17/18 season and doesn't have a NTC so he'd have basically no say in the matter if the Jets moved him in a trade to Detroit.

Agree that FA's aren't taking discounts to play here anymore but don't think that's relevant to Kane's situation.
Yea, I know he wouldn't. It just amazes me the amount of people that want to improve the team but don't want to give up anything in the process. Or act like signing the best available free agent is a given because, you know, the Detroit Red Wings.

If I'm Ken Holland and I have to give up one of Sproul / Ouellet / Dekeyser + Nyquist / Tatar + 1st for someone of Evander Kane's talent I do it in a heartbeat. Why? I'm loaded with top 4 defense prospects and Kane is the best player in that deal. Outside of possibly Mantha, Kane is going to be the best hockey player in a deal involving players and prospects that would be on the table anyway you look at it. You do what it takes without seriously harming the future to get him. I would do the same for Yakupov. Unfortunately both are just pipe dreams.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
The better team doesn't always win. The whole reason the NHL playoffs are the most exciting is because there are so many upsets in the playoffs. Would you call the Canes the best team in 05-06, or how about the Bruins in 10-11 or the Kings in 11-12. Very rarely does the best team in the NHL regular season win the cup & even if you include the top 4 or so teams in the league they rarely win it.

If you were talking about the NBA you'd be right but in the NHL if you make the playoffs you have a chance to win the cup.

I didnt say the best team wins the Cup, I said the best team wins a 7 game series. The only importance of the regular season is number of home games per series and even that is overrated.

When I say "team", I dont just mean players; I mean coaches too. To use one of your examples of the 10-11 Bruins.

Great regular season, but not spectacular. Vancouver just railroaded the entire year from start to finish.

However, once a successful regular season team enters the playoffs, none of that matters. The other coach has time to watch, plot and strategize against the very things you do best. Claude Julien outcoached a lot of people that year...having Thomas play out of his mind and a prime, nasty Chara with a healthy Bergeron certainly helped. But he outcoached his rivals, he stuffed the Canucks to the outside and let them pepper Thomas with high volume, low percentage shots. Stop me if youve read this script before as a Wings fan of the 90s and 00s.

They had size, toughness, skill and played a very net front game with no PP to speak of. They were the better team and that series proved it.

How about the 06 Canes? Upsets happened in the early rounds and the Canes got the 8th seed out of the West. Edmonton wasnt an 8 seed after trading for prime Pronger, but they werent world beaters either. I can comfortably say that Edmonton team was better than the Wings, absolutely. They had speed to burn all over their lineup, a one year wonder goaltender and Chris-freaking-Pronger chewing up 35 minutes a night.

So again, the best doesnt always win the Cup, true. But whether its due to injury, coaching, will, grit, size, speed, matchup, some combination thereof, the best team always wins a 7 game series, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad