Rumor: Evander Kane

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Depends how dire their situation is, Winnipeg isn't really trading from a position of strength, they don't have all of the bargaining power.

If Evander Kane is on the market you better believe there would be a bidding war for him, even if Winnipeg has to dump him.

Detroit Sports*

I love Kane.I would deal for him and maybe overpay.We need a top 6 big stud.

Aug 6, 2012
I'm not for getting Kane if its going to cost us a ton of our top prospects + picks. I think we're in a position where we just need to wait it out and let some of our best prospects play in the NHL soon. Kane is also a tad bit overrated IMO. I don't see him panning out to be much more than a 30 goal-scorer.

Of course if the package is acceptable, I'd for sure do it.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I disagree. But you're free to think I'm wrong.

1st line winger who will score 30+ a year. Call the guy what he is.

So you would consider Franzen a first line winger then? Cause that is the production he has equaled so far in his career. I know we have a few d prospects with potential but right know we only have one proven with top 3 upside (dd).

I am just saying I would not be so quick to give away the only proven prospect we have on defense that is top 3. I believe he is one of like 4-5 prospects the wings would not trade for anything currently. The only exception being a #1 d or #1c (not likely until datsyuk's last year) but I don't even want to think what a true #1 d on the market would cost. And bowemeister (however his name is spelled ain't a #1) ain't one of them. He is the closest we have seen to a #1 open to be traded and in my eyes he (like dion princess) is a #2.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
I'm not for getting Kane if its going to cost us a ton of our top prospects + picks. I think we're in a position where we just need to wait it out and let some of our best prospects play in the NHL soon. Kane is also a tad bit overrated IMO. I don't see him panning out to be much more than a 30 goal-scorer.

i agree completly

Detroit Sports*

A 30 goal a year scorer on this team is like a 50 goal scorer in the NHL :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So you would consider Franzen a first line winger then? Cause that is the production he has equaled so far in his career. I know we have a few d prospects with potential but right know we only have one proven with top 3 upside (dd).

I am just saying I would not be so quick to give away the only proven prospect we have on defense that is top 3. I believe he is one of like 4-5 prospects the wings would not trade for anything currently. The only exception being a #1 d or #1c (not likely until datsyuk's last year) but I don't even want to think what a true #1 d on the market would cost. And bowemeister (however his name is spelled ain't a #1) ain't one of them. He is the closest we have seen to a #1 open to be traded and in my eyes he (like dion princess) is a #2.

1. Kane is a way more complete player than Franzen. He is physical and plays like a real power forward. He actually led the jets in hits last year, as a forward.
2. He's only 22, he's still developing, he has room to get better.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
1. Kane is a way more complete player than Franzen. He is physical and plays like a real power forward. He actually led the jets in hits last year, as a forward.
2. He's only 22, he's still developing, he has room to get better.

I know he has room to improve but our d is a shambles right now. I know are offense needs to get there **** together as well but he is the only d prospect we have atm that has proven top 3 upside at the nhl level. I would just not ere on the side of moving him.

Granted our d could be quite a bit better than what it is if a certain -12 player wasn't force fed 20+ minutes a game. But DD is the only d prospect (for like 20 more games) that can cornerstone our d for the next 10+ years.

I just think out of what we have prospect d wise he, xo, and marchenko are the guys I would keep. Smith and Sproul are the guys I would be most open to trading away for assets.

Actually if I'm not too distracted over the next couple of days I should start a thread about a "choice" babs could make with the d pairings in a couple of days granted that is neither here nor there in regards to this thread specifically.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
I hear concerns about our defense if Dekeyser is included.

No offense, gents, but this current year with this current roster is already wasted. I know Holland doesnt agree with me; this year is garbage. I dont care where they end up in the standings, theyre a mediocre team playing in a mediocre conference (that is getting its collective ass handed to it by the West).

If the goal is to win Cups then its time to concede that even with Nyquist and Howard playing up his playoff standards of last year, this team is not going to win the Cup. No chance. Too many waaaaaaay better teams and a 7 game series is always won by the better team.

Blow up your Top6 completely and actually rebuild for one damn year (this year). Theyll still make the playoffs in this laughably bad Eastern conference and they *might* even win a round.

Dekeyser is an up-and-coming dman in this league, no doubt. Reminds me of a young Fischer who was just as timid and unassertive at Dekeyser's age. But E.Kane is legit and worth every bit and as someone else said, who knows if Dekeyser is as valued elsewhere as he is here. Our defense is garbagio outside of Kronwall and Ericsson, so that fact alone makes Danny-boy look far better than he is as a #3. When your competition, even as a rookie, is Quincey, Smith, Lashoff, Kindl, Almquist and Ouellet...yeah, if you can make a good first pass, not panic with the puck and not lose your man once a shift, youre auto-better than all of them.

Dekeyser, Nyquist/Tatar, Pick

No idea if thats even close, but again, I assume the Jets do not want salary back. If they are willing to take salary...that changes things considerably.

Detroit Sports*

I hear concerns about our defense if Dekeyser is included.

No offense, gents, but this current year with this current roster is already wasted. I know Holland doesnt agree with me; this year is garbage. I dont care where they end up in the standings, theyre a mediocre team playing in a mediocre conference (that is getting its collective ass handed to it by the West).

If the goal is to win Cups then its time to concede that even with Nyquist and Howard playing up his playoff standards of last year, this team is not going to win the Cup. No chance. Too many waaaaaaay better teams and a 7 game series is always won by the better team.

Blow up your Top6 completely and actually rebuild for one damn year (this year). Theyll still make the playoffs in this laughably bad Eastern conference and they *might* even win a round.

Dekeyser is an up-and-coming dman in this league, no doubt. Reminds me of a young Fischer who was just as timid and unassertive at Dekeyser's age. But E.Kane is legit and worth every bit and as someone else said, who knows if Dekeyser is as valued elsewhere as he is here. Our defense is garbagio outside of Kronwall and Ericsson, so that fact alone makes Danny-boy look far better than he is as a #3. When your competition, even as a rookie, is Quincey, Smith, Lashoff, Kindl, Almquist and Ouellet...yeah, if you can make a good first pass, not panic with the puck and not lose your man once a shift, youre auto-better than all of them.

Dekeyser, Nyquist/Tatar, Pick

No idea if thats even close, but again, I assume the Jets do not want salary back. If they are willing to take salary...that changes things considerably.
I agree with your assessment of the team.But I can't give up Nyquist and DeKeyser plus a pick.I think he can be had for far less than this.:handclap:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

The better team doesn't always win. The whole reason the NHL playoffs are the most exciting is because there are so many upsets in the playoffs. Would you call the Canes the best team in 05-06, or how about the Bruins in 10-11 or the Kings in 11-12. Very rarely does the best team in the NHL regular season win the cup & even if you include the top 4 or so teams in the league they rarely win it.

If you were talking about the NBA you'd be right but in the NHL if you make the playoffs you have a chance to win the cup.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I disagree, we definitely do. First of all, these demands that the fans make are NEVER what the fans think they'll get. Think Rick Nash brought in what CBJ fans thought he would? Not even close.

If Kane gets moved, the Wings definitely have the pieces.

nash was 28 at the time of the trade.

and the return for that trade was actually pretty good.

Ok, I'm willing to entertain that thought. I remember the haul for the kovalchuk deal ended up being pretty lame.

What do you think is a realistic package that would work for both sides?

kovalchuk was upcoming ufa.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Our defense should get better with time. Guys like Sproul/Ouellet, etc. will be ready. We might sign a UFA or 2.

Our offense, however... Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't exactly young anymore. And after those 2, there's practically nothing to lean on. Do I think we need to get a guy like Kane right now? No... But if he eventually gets moved this year and it's for "weak" pieces compared to what we could've offered, I'll be upset. Holland needs to keep his eyes open.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Our defense should get better with time. Guys like Sproul/Ouellet, etc. will be ready. We might sign a UFA or 2.

Our offense, however... Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't exactly young anymore. And after those 2, there's practically nothing to lean on. Do I think we need to get a guy like Kane right now? No... But if he eventually gets moved this year and it's for "weak" pieces compared to what we could've offered, I'll be upset. Holland needs to keep his eyes open.

I'm on board with your assessments of both our defense and offense. The Wings haven't had a true power forward since '90's Shanny so this is a chance to bring in a guy who'd add a new dimension to the team. We have a lot of young skilled finesse forwards on the way up but nobody that seems to bring the scoring+size+edge-to-his-game that Kane has.

If some of the posters here are correct in that Winnipeg wouldn't want salary coming back, then Kenny would have to pull off a cap dump elsewhere and send the necessary young guys to the Jets- I'd be all for it. Seems like it'd be a lot of moving parts for our cautious GM to negotiate given his recent track record, but it'd be a huge win if he pulled it off.

I'd prefer it to be a Smith+Tatar+_____ kind of deal, but if the Jets demanded DD instead I'd listen. There won't nearly be enough room for all of the seemingly solid F & D prospects to earn spots on the Wings roster in the next 5 years or so, so IMO this is a chance to move a few of them to acquire something Detroit doesn't have.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
he's really not worth what it would cost

this is a guy with 1 30 goal season that's never scored more than 57 points,you can say he's 22 but this is also his 5th season in the NHL now and it's not like he hasn't been getting minutes or powerplay time

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Evander Kane is a low-end "sniper" who we can't risk trading away our meat and potatoes for. Giving up Mrazek and DD, are you kidding me?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad