BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Comparable to Bobby Ryan???

Years under contract:

Bobby Ryan 2
Evander Kane 5

Bobby Ryan Trade

Anaheim Ducks traded Bobby Ryan to the Ottawa Senators for Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Noesen and a 1st round selection in 2014.

Jakob Silfverberg Drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the 2nd round (39th overall) in 2009.
Stefan Noesen Drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the 1st round (21st overall) in 2011.
1st rounder 2014

What would our Equivalent of this trade be??

Kane signed longer, but I think Bobby Ryan is a little better… lets call them equal players just for argument… What is our EQUIVALENT offer?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Comparable to Bobby Ryan???

Years under contract:

Bobby Ryan 2
Evander Kane 5

Bobby Ryan Trade

Anaheim Ducks traded Bobby Ryan to the Ottawa Senators for Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Noesen and a 1st round selection in 2014.

Jakob Silfverberg Drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the 2nd round (39th overall) in 2009.
Stefan Noesen Drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the 1st round (21st overall) in 2011.
1st rounder 2014

What would our Equivalent of this trade be??

Kane signed longer, but I think Bobby Ryan is a little better… lets call them equal players just for argument… What is our EQUIVALENT offer?

Nyquist/Tatar
Sheahan/Pulkkinen/Backman
1st 2014

Something like that but I still don't believe it would entice the Jets.

Brandel*

Weiss is somewhat local and the Wings offered him the best deal more than likely and promised a better situation. He was also coming off any injury. So wow! They overpaid for a 40 year old who is best friends with half the team who thought he was gonna be playing on a line with Datsyuk and Z.

I actually heard Weiss was offered more in st louis as well. Alfie never expected to play with Dats and Z 5 on 5. He was expected to play a 2nd line role with Weiss and Franzen from the start. That was said in numerous interviews at the time.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
This is fun to talk about. Yet pointless, first remember who are GM is. And second, when Weiss and Alfie come back "it's like making two big deals at the deadline!"

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
ducks still had getz and perry after the trade. ducks would have wanted different return if ryan was 'the' player on the team.

ryan also had only 2 years left on his deal.

Ryan also has consistently been a 30 goal scorer and is a better passer. Watching Kane's bull in a china shop routine is awesome, but it actually isn't as productive as many are saying. Ryan did some of that without Getzlaf and Perry being the guy usually split and him being routinely only given second PP time.

It isn't a bad package to base it off of, but I disagree with paying it. As you said though Kane is an important guy to that team, while I would argue both Wheeler and Laad have outplayed him really even Little, you're right on the name side of things. I always feel bad about overpaying on the name, I would like Kane if he was on the team, but I do have serious fears about what kind of package it would take. Also worried about how he will fit this system and some of the problems he has had to this point in his career.

Octopus

May 17, 2006
Nyquist, Ouellet, Mrazek, and they'd have to take Samuelsson in order to make the cap space for the Wings. Hate to give up on Nyquist, but Kane has greater upside. The Jets are competing now, and Nyquist and Samuelsson, playing regularly, is a 40-50 point guy. That would put them closer to the playoffs. The 2 prospects from Detroit will play soon in the NHL making it a good deal for the Jets.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
but I do have serious fears about what kind of package it would take. Also worried about how he will fit this system and some of the problems he has had to this point in his career.
You have to sacrifice some of your future to get a player of Kane's talent. Don't sell the farm. But you have to give up something.

I'm curious as to what the Red Wing's system is. Because I don't think Babcock implements one with this team anymore. Blashill might if he steps in, but Babcock hasn't a clue what to do with this roster anymore i.e. a couple weeks ago his comments about winning by holding them the opposition to limited shots. That's working wonders in the third period for him. Let's shut errrr down.

If Holland doesn't acquire someone of Kane's talent through trade of free agency this team is doomed for first or second round exits. Once Datsyuk leaves they are a bubble team. Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar aren't answers for a top 6 forward. Good players, not answers.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You have to sacrifice some of your future to get a player of Kane's talent. Don't sell the farm. But you have to give up something.

I'm curious as to what the Red Wing's system is. Because I don't think Babcock implements one with this team anymore. Blashill might if he steps in, but Babcock hasn't a clue what to do with this roster anymore i.e. a couple weeks ago his comments about winning by holding them the opposition to limited shots. That's working wonders in the third period for him. Let's shut errrr down.

If Holland doesn't acquire someone of Kane's talent through trade of free agency this team is doomed for first or second round exits. Once Datsyuk leaves they are a bubble team. Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar aren't answers for a top 6 forward. Good players, not answers.

neither is Kane

I get that some of you guys really want a power forward so he's getting brownie points for play-style from you but this isn't some elite player here

this is his 5th year in the league now and he hasn't even come remotely close to a ppg pace,he's hit 30 goals once(and only just and hasn't even paced that many in any of his other years)

Kane is a solid player but he's FAR from the franchise kind of guy a lot of you seem to be confusing him for

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
neither is Kane

I get that some of you guys really want a power forward so he's getting brownie points for play-style from you but this isn't some elite player here

this is his 5th year in the league now and he hasn't even come remotely close to a ppg pace,he's hit 30 goals once(and only just and hasn't even paced that many in any of his other years)

Kane is a solid player but he's FAR from the franchise kind of guy a lot of you seem to be confusing him for

I don't think he's a franchise player. IMO he's the type of player we don't have in our system and would really help our franchise, but it's still okay to trade for good-but-not-quite-franchise players.

It's his 5th year in the NHL but he's only 22... you seem to imply that he's peaked as a player and it's all downhill from here. If Kenny traded for Kane today, he would be the youngest player on the team. The only guys younger than Kane who've played this season for the Wings are XO and Mrazek. I'd like to think the guy still has some sort of upside.

We have a whopping 3 guys on the team now who have scored 30 as a Red Wing and nobody's done it anytime recently. I'd also wager that Kane scores more goals over the next 5 years than anyone will in Detroit- speculation to be sure, but worth trading for IMO.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
neither is Kane

I don't think anyone said or thinks he's elite or a franchise player. He'd still be light years better than any player not named Datsyuk or Zetterberg though.

I'm not understanding your 5th year in the league logic, he's 22. Really, that's a testament to his skill if he started in the NHL at the age of 18. I don't know too many 18 year olds that can jump right into the NHL that don't ooze top-end talent. Keep in mind Tatar is 23 and this is his first full year in the NHL. Also keep in mind that Nyquist's first year, we'll count this year as his first full year because it should be, is 24. We all know it should have been sooner but my point remains the same. Kane is younger than both and they have yet to play in the NHL regularly.

Duchene was taken third that year and I'd give up the same package for him. Why? Because he's better than any center in the Red Wings organization not named Datysuk or Zetterberg. And ultimately he would replace Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg as a #1C.

I just think a lot of people need a reality check of the talent the Red Wings' have in the prospect pool. They're all middle-bottom 6 outside of Mantha. Like I said earlier, I think it's funny that it seems like people just expect top-end talent to fall in the laps of the Red Wings.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
We don't have the assets to get him. He's more valuable than he should be to the Jets.

We're not going to get him for a bunch of quantity.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Helm
Smith
Tatar
Ouellet/Sproul
1st

Blow up the entire team's depth and future for one player? No thanks. There are very few players in this league I would give up so much and Evander Kane is not one of them.

You're pretty much giving up a whole line of forwards (let's assume that 1st rounder is a forward) and a defensive pairing. 4-5 sure things in the NHL for one player. Our depth is good, but not that good.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2012
Some of you guys ate really overrating Kane. He's probably the 4th best forward on Winnipeg. He's not gonna be much more than a 30 goal scorer IMO. And I am against trading big assets for a winger, especially like Kane. Adding a top-six winger would be nice but its not the direction this team should he going. If we're trading assets go for a defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad