Speculation: Evander: 6x6 or trade

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Evander Kane has always given his best effort on the ice.

Physical effort-100%. Mental effort...not all the time. He needs to mentally buy in to unselfish play and he doesn't do it. The lone exception as a Sabre was at the end of 15-16 season with Jack and Sam.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Kane is absolutely inconsistent and takes nights (weeks) off, then goes all out beast mode for a game and you forgive him. To say otherwise is a complete lie.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Kane is absolutely inconsistent and takes nights (weeks) off, then goes all out beast mode for a game and you forgive him. To say otherwise is a complete lie.

Your bias against him is clear and that's no lie. He's a streaky goal scorer, but I see good effort from him on a regular basis.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

He doesn't take nights off. He might not score consistently, and he may have horrible possession numbers, but effort is one thing that is consistent with Evander. To say otherwise is a lie.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Most goal scorers or one dimensional offensive players, that offer little else, tend to be "streaky". Sometimes the goals just aren't there for one reason or another and there isn't much else to compensate for it.

You can't doubt Kane's effort though.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So arguments against Kane are arguments
But arguments against Lehner are haters being haters

I got it.

To be clear on both in terms of my preference:
- Lehner - 1 year deal if he is kept at all to see what we really have in him in a non-Bylsma goalie stats boosting system
- Kane - deal him now if you can get decent LW prospect + 1st round pick. If not wait until TDL and see how he plays in new-system. If he plays better (and smarter) than expected, resign him under 6.5 mil contract (so that we don't enter cap hell). If he doesn't play well/smarter, trade him for whatever you can get with maybe some retention - (between 1st and 3rd depending on his stats and retention amount - note he may have decent stats without showing enough to see him extended).

Huh?

My point was not everyone hates Kane that wants to trade him. No idea what Lehner has to do with my post

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Your bias against him is clear and that's no lie. He's a streaky goal scorer, but I see good effort from him on a regular basis.

Effort doesn't directly translate into winning. A winning attitude/mindset coupled with effort and skill does. It may not be effort on the ice he is lacking, but his ability to mentally be in games consistently is worse than others. This reputation has been with him since Atlanta, it is nothing new. If you really want to go this far, I'd say his effort towards normalizing his attitude has been lacking because there's been no amelioration of the trend and no shortage of off-ice and locker room incidents throughout his career. I really don't care about effort when it's just resulting in dumps and chases that undermines the team's ability to gain the puck and do what they're really trying to do.

And this is coming from someone who sees the best course of action as letting the season play out and either sign him or let him walk at the end depending on how he fits under the new regime. The options in the poll are both silly and unrealistic.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I honestly think people are focusing too much on the player & not the long term makeup of the squad & related cap implications...

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
I like Kane's game and if they can make the dollars work long term I want him to stay. I think Kane actually likes playing for the Sabres and that he would be interested in staying.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Effort doesn't directly translate into winning. A winning attitude/mindset coupled with effort and skill does. It may not be effort on the ice he is lacking, but his ability to mentally be in games consistently is worse than others. This reputation has been with him since Atlanta, it is nothing new. If you really want to go this far, I'd say his effort towards normalizing his attitude has been lacking because there's been no amelioration of the trend and no shortage of off-ice and locker room incidents throughout his career. I really don't care about effort when it's just resulting in dumps and chases that undermines the team's ability to gain the puck and do what they're really trying to do.

And this is coming from someone who sees the best course of action as letting the season play out and either sign him or let him walk at the end depending on how he fits under the new regime. The options in the poll are both silly and unrealistic.

Now you're shifting the goalposts after being called out for your erroneous claim. His ability to mentally be in games? Good one. I like the way you attribute all of these things to him based on rumor and innuendo when the reality with regard to winning is he's been on crappy teams in ATL/WPG and now in Buffalo.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

How are you measuring whether he's mentally in the game or not? I see a player checked into the game often and with effort and he seems like a player that wants to win. At the same time I see a player that just isn't that smart at the game of hockey in terms of team play. He makes dumb plays consistently. But I'm not going to sit here and say that he's not in the game mentally and I don't think any of the posters here have that ability to do so regardless of the player.

You can question his value of his hockey intelligence. He makes dumb plays, that we all know of. But a lot of times it's not dumb plays based on being checked out mentally. Most of his decisions are him trying to create plays and not being able to read the play.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Going forward, the team needs fast guys who can score goals. He's a fast guy who can score goals...in a universally acknowledged horrible offensive system last season he potted 27 of them. We need more of that, not less. Looking forward to seeing what he can do this year and hopefully for 5-6 more.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
What about Kane for Brendan Gallagher?

Gallagher has 4 years left at 3.75

What do we need to add?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
What about Kane for Brendan Gallagher?

Gallagher has 4 years left at 3.75

What do we need to add?

Why are we adding to get smaller, less reliable and less productive? There are reasons that Gallagher makes less $$$ than Kane projects to.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Why are we adding to get smaller, less reliable and less productive? There are reasons that Gallagher makes less $$$ than Kane projects to.

Because Gallagher is a good second-line player signed long-term to a very good contract and Kane is unlikely to sign back here?

He doesn't have the tools Kane has, but he's an effective player who has the smarts and skill to play anywhere in your lineup.

I'm not concerned with player vs. player or statistical comparisons. A Kane for Gallagher swap as the basis of a trade is quality asset management for Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad