Speculation: Evander: 6x6 or trade

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If we got garbage offers. So basically if someone ponied up a 1st he would be willing to trade him even if we're in playoff hunt.

That is what is being called ridiculous

That's not what he said. That's what you're saying.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I've been hoping we would get rid of Kane since the second week he was playing games. Cannot happen soon enough.

I want it to happen but things changed. We acquired a top 4 D and bottom 4 D without giving up anything of importance to our rebuild.

If the best we can do right now is a 1st round pick then just hold on and see if he fits with Housley. He doesnt need to play with ROR or Jack. He is perfectly fine as a scorer on a 3rd line and 2nd PP.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Kane is gonna tear it up on the third line if he's given third line minutes.

He's gonna be a headache if he's in the top-6.

Just hope Housley isn't dumb enough to try him up there again.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Kane is gonna tear it up on the third line if he's given third line minutes.

He's gonna be a headache if he's in the top-6.

Just hope Housley isn't dumb enough to try him up there again.

He can try, but if it doesnt work I hope he stops trying.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It'll be interesting to see if Housley can unlock anything more from Kane just as much as it will be interesting to see what Kane does this year knowing he's heading into UFA status next summer. Is he going to put in more work? Can he improve away from the puck, defensively? And then there is the level to which ownership wants him here or not.

He could have a monster season and be poised for a large payday next summer. Given that there are only two choices in the list above, I went with the "trade" option right now, but I do want to see how he shows up at camp and then what does he do for Housley once the system is in place. Granted, it's always possible he doesn't make it to camp, yet by nature I remain cautious about the whole thing.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Evander Kane in a contract year could be a very strong asset for us to get to the playoffs.

Ultimately, I think Kane walks as a UFA, the two sides likely share a mutual interest in not signing an extension.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Kane isn't being dealt before the season. The only reason we would trade our best pure goal scorer and only ES goal scoring threat was to shore up the defense. Botterill did that without moving Kane by adding Scandella, Antipin and Beaulieu. If the Sabres are totally out of the playoff hunt at the deadline then I'm fine with trading him for the 1st+prospect he will return if he's having yet another 20-25+ goal season.

If this team is firmly in a playoff spot or at the very least a point or two out of a spot, then he needs to be kept and probably re-signed. I feel that he may also be able to be extended for a few hundred k less then 6 mil. Something like 5.5-5.6 mil AAV over 5 years is a fair deal for him that would be a smart move. Mittelstadt is a couple years away. Nylander still isn't even ready for third line minutes. We need Kanes goal scoring ability. If Okposo fails to score 60 points and merely has another 45-50 point type season then I'd just re-sign Kane and when the cap is tight move on from Okposo. Kane is younger, far more physical, far faster and a better goal scorer then Okposo period. His NMC is gone in a couple years, so if we do extend Kane we can just move on from Okposo when the time comes to give big contracts to Nylander, Mittelstadt, McCabe etc.

ende

Dec 12, 2005
Kane's trade value will most likely never be higher, and I'm not convinced we'll see his best effort towards the end of a long contract.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Kane & Moulson for Nelson & Ladd?

:laugh:

Ladd's contract might be crippling. He did score 23 goals though. It's basically trading for Eichel's line mates.

Is Garth Snow dumb enough to trade Anders Lee for Evander Kane?

He'd enter Milbury territory with that type of trade.

Evander Kane in a contract year could be a very strong asset for us to get to the playoffs.

Ultimately, I think Kane walks as a UFA, the two sides likely share a mutual interest in not signing an extension.

Hoping he's moved now to a team that wants to benefit from his contract year, and try to re-sign him. I think that team is LA. And I'd love to get Kempe. Knowing it won't happen....

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Assuming the Sabres have talked with Kane and know what he wants on a new deal and they are unwilling to make that deal, then you trade him either now (too late probably) or at the deadline no matter the team's playoff position. It's an asset, letting him walk for nothing is silly, especially for a probable bubble team.

We aren't some top contending team year-in-year-out to be walking away from picks/prospects.

I think it's basically up to Kane at this point, either he wants to hit UFA or his demands are beyond something around Okposo's deal, in which case I'd expect a tradeline deal of whatever type.

Yeah, explain THAT to the fanbase.....even worse, explain that to the locker room.

To think the Sabres would trade Kane without a significant roster player coming back at hte deadline is delusional, while they are in the hunt for the playoffs that is.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I don't get what you're going to do with Kane to help this team's major hole. Going to convince the penguins they need to compete now and trade Conor Sheary or something?

There was a fit for teams with excess defense prior to the expansion draft. That ship has long sailed.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
i would be beyond disappointed if the sabres made a long term investment in kane. ultimately i don't think it will matter because he is dying to hit the open market and find a team in a glamorous metropolitan setting.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
i would be beyond disappointed if the sabres made a long term investment in kane. ultimately i don't think it will matter because he is dying to hit the open market and find a team in a glamorous metropolitan setting.

There is nothing to support this...literally blind accusation.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I wish I really knew what he was like in OUR locker room. What the guys really thought of him....

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yeah, explain THAT to the fanbase.....even worse, explain that to the locker room.

To think the Sabres would trade Kane without a significant roster player coming back at hte deadline is delusional, while they are in the hunt for the playoffs that is.

You know that playoff teams that trade for roster players at the TDL don't give back good roster players because they're making a playoff push, right? That's the way the TDL works...good teams give up futures for a big push into the playoffs.

Besides, there's nothing to explain to anyone if Kane isn't interested in returning, and we have no idea about that yet. So saying people are so far off with trading Kane is ignoring some pretty basic factors that could very well be at play.

Trading him now for a decent return might not be possible right now. There might not be any GM willing to take a full season risk on the guy. Even if an extension could be worked out for the trading team, there might not be a GM willing to extend him for the term he'd want. It may very well be that, for now, GMs want to see another season of Kane acting right before they'll agree to a trade or a new contract. It's not like Botterill can do whatever he wants with Kane right now. After all the so-called trade rumors that ALL fell flat the last six months, I think it's safe to say that GMs aren't keen on him just yet. I think the only time Kane is going to get a decent return is the TDL, when a GM is willing to pay for the standard short term commitment of a pending UFA during a playoff push. That's it, not much other option, and it won't be a roster player coming back.

And we can't just say, "Well then re-sign him, he's worth it", because we're not the Pegulas that have to answer if the guy turns out to be a hand grenade going off in the bunker again. Imagine the @#$% storm if he pulls another sex assault investigation. The Pegulas, especially Kim, won't put themselves into a bad position having to answer various business associates or community leaders about why they retained a person like that to represent their franchise. Not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Botterill knows what his value in trade is.

If he's willing to risk letting him walk for nothing it's because the value in trading him isn't worth much more.

It's not like it's hard to believe.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Take the totality of his posts and that is exactly what he's saying

To be clear - the only thing I'm saying unequivocally is that I don't want to sign Kane to a long term big money contract - in this case 6x6. I won't go into too much detail here but I don't see this as good roster/cap management.

Whatever else we do do with Kane is more up for debate.

- if we get a good offer before the season I'd obviously move him. What is classed as a good offer is down to interpretation but either way I don't see this scenario playing out & tdl trade being more likely.

- if the Sabres are once again looking out of it come March I move him for whatever I can get

- if the Sabres are contending for a playoff spot I consider the trade return against having Kane for a playoff push. Bearing in mind that Kane is not going to single handedly win a cup for the Sabres.

- if the above scenario plays out & I like the return then I make the trade for the long term good of the club.

- if I don't like the return then I keep Kane for the playoff run & let him walk. Maybe I trade his rights for a pick before the draft...

It should be simple to understand.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
All the hatred? Many who want to trade him have some pretty rational and logical reasons to do so.

So arguments against Kane are arguments
But arguments against Lehner are haters being haters

I got it.

To be clear on both in terms of my preference:
- Lehner - 1 year deal if he is kept at all to see what we really have in him in a non-Bylsma goalie stats boosting system
- Kane - deal him now if you can get decent LW prospect + 1st round pick. If not wait until TDL and see how he plays in new-system. If he plays better (and smarter) than expected, resign him under 6.5 mil contract (so that we don't enter cap hell). If he doesn't play well/smarter, trade him for whatever you can get with maybe some retention - (between 1st and 3rd depending on his stats and retention amount - note he may have decent stats without showing enough to see him extended).

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Kane's trade value will most likely never be higher, and I'm not convinced we'll see his best effort towards the end of a long contract.

Yeah it makes perfect sense that a player about to become a UFA would dog it and cost himself potentially millions of dollars.:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad