Speculation: Evander: 6x6 or trade

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Obviously a longer term signing, 6x6 is just ballpark. With Foligno gone, there won't be anyone in the system hitting UFA for at least 4 more years so 6 with Evander (or someone else) is affordable anyway.

I do have a concern the team is passive. Not soft, lots of guys protect the puck and take a beating. That list of forwards who initiate contact is Kane at the moment, maybe Des. Zemgus is more physical with the puck than without, Jack can power through guys but shouldn't be thinking of standing guys up at the blue line.

On the other hand, he has publicized off ice issues. My only retort is he is on his best behaviour for that as it is, will become a habit after a few more months. Makes a necessary evil somewhat inviting.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I'm obviously going 6x6. Need some lowest common denominators when the odds are favoring the other guys.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Where's the risk waiting til this offseason and seeing how he performs this year option?

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Assuming that he continues to play the way he did last year for us, I'd be all for it. I think a a line like Kane - Reinhart - Pomminville could be a dynamic third line for us.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Where's the risk waiting til this offseason and seeing how he performs this year option?

Omitted. That doesn't answer the question, just pushes it back. Besides, the upcoming season doesn't change his body of work and a bad season won't mean much considering his age. We don't know what contract year Kane looks like either and we have seen contract year anomalies before; so that can be discounted as well.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Omitted. That doesn't answer the question, just pushes it back. Besides, the upcoming season doesn't change his body of work and a bad season won't mean much considering his age. We don't know what contract year Kane looks like either and we have seen contract year anomalies before; so that can be discounted as well.

It's entirely relevant because it's going to be reality. I absolutely wouldn't bite on him today. I absolutely would consider this come January if he fits the system and has no more hiccups outside. We also have no business trading him with the big gaping hole on left wing at the moment, unlike what the outlook was 2 weeks ago. Botts already made the decision to not trade him this off-season already.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm more concerned about being a cave in defensively and having some of the worst advanced stats in the league than I am about any off ice concerns. Unless that can be stalked up to system and fixed under Housley, move him.

Kane+Bogosian+pick or prospect for Tanev or an equivalent shutdown RHD would be the dream.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't hand him a 6 year deal, especially at $6M per.

I would hold him until the TDL and move him for the best return possible at that point.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I'm more concerned about being a cave in defensively and having some of the worst advanced stats in the league than I am about any off ice concerns. Unless that can be stalked up to system and fixed under Housley, move him.

Kane+Bogosian+pick or prospect for Tanev or an equivalent shutdown RHD would be the dream.

I can agree, but we have a huge hole at LHD and that magically doesn't disappear.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I wouldn't hand him a 6 year deal, especially at $6M per.

I would hold him until the TDL and move him for the best return possible at that point.

What if we're pushing for a playoff spot...?

Kane's game can fit with this team, i think. If a gun were held to my head and I needed to make the decision now, I'd probably trade him.

Long term Kane could be a legitimate force on the 2nd/3rd lines of our team. Understably some would be hesitant to give him 6/6.

Considering he's going to hit UFA at 26 whereas many comparables have hit UFA at 28, 29, 30 and got similar 6/6 deals, Kane would be the best one to give that deal to IMO.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I can agree, but we have a huge hole at LHD and that magically doesn't disappear.

You mean LW? I honestly just don't value the wing position all that much and would be fine with finding a plug and play low leve vet to bridge the gap to Fasching and Nylander there.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Love the speed and bang that he brings, lack of a brain tilts the scale though. Trade him at the TDL or earlier if he gets hot on the scoresheet.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I don't know now. I thought his value would be high. If his value isn't a top 4 D or top 6 forward then I think we wait and see how he works with Housley.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
He has little to any value because teams don't want him in their locker rooms. No team is giving him more than 2 or 3 years. No way should they sign him for 6 years. He is another incident away from being bought out. The Pegulas want teams with good chrachter and talent. We should trade him and get whatever assets we can albeit it now or at the deadline. His off ice issues show his priorities and that's not how you build a good locker room. Another stat with Kane that is interesting, nearly a decade in the league (8 years, he has never been on a playoff team)

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
As of right now he is a need but if Nylander and Middlestadt both work out and play LW he wont be missed. RoR is also a competent winger and was very strong on the left in the World Championships and he can easily replace Kanes production on the left side allowing Reinhart to slide middle and cover 2C.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
The more I think about it, the more trading Kane is addition by subtraction. Besides his locker room issues, his hockey IQ is suspect and he doesn't make others around him better. I think others could score similar goals and not bring the distractions he does.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
No way in hell. Kane is the the type of player a bubble team takes a chance on at the trade deadline. Short term, lots of movement. Get him in and get him out. He's not the type of player you lock into as a core player long term. Actually, i think he would be the poster child for exactly the type of player you don't lock into long term. I think Botterill understands this and i think Kane's time in Buffalo will be coming to an end sooner than later.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
1 for 6 ... yes
2 for 6 ... yes
3 and beyond for 6 ... no

bu-bye kane

Ideally, i'd much rather just move him this summer for the maximum return we can get from whoever we can get it from.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
The level of speed and power Kane brings is not easy to come by. Yes, he has some less than brilliant features like taking shots from everywhere but he scores goals AND hits people. A lot of guys can only do one of those things. This makes Kane useful in multiple situations. He can basically be an enforcer without weighing down his line. And no matter what his issues have been off ice, I don't think anyone can question his loyalty or competitiveness on the ice. So yes, I think we should try to keep him. Not sure if 6x6 gets it done, or if it's worth it, but I am in camp keep Kane as long as it's not a ridiculous contract.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I voted to sign him. But if we decide not to, it better be at the deadline for a Forsburg type prospect that is NHL ready by 18-19.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad