Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: Scoring like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Barring trades, I think Bouchard could rotate with Jones, Bear, and other worthy call ups, for the 7th spot, hopefully on merit.

It would probably be good for them to get a few games here and there.

XXX McDavid Draisaitl
Gagner Nuge XXX
Kharia(RFA) Cave Kassian
Lucic Brodziach Puljujarvi(RFA)

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Russell
Sekera Benning
Bouchard/Jones/Bear

Koskinen
XXX
I still dont get why people keep penciling JP in on the 4th line. He's either in the AHL to start the year, the top 6, or he's on another team.

Reactions: fuswald

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Guaranteeing that the Oilers will miss the playoffs next year.

I am guaranteeing even if they had 110 point season you find something to be negative about . The season is too far off to make any kind of prediction on it . How do you know the new GM doesn't find away to bring in 2 top 6 wingers and a PMD

Reactions: Draiskull

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I am guaranteeing even if they had 110 point season you find something to be negative about . The season is too far off to make any kind of prediction on it . How do you know the new GM doesn't find away to bring in 2 top 6 wingers and a PMD

Huh? I'm the one who is claiming they can make it next year. Perhaps you meant someone else? Strange.

My point being in that post that the third pairing is going to get eaten alive. One injury and you have three rookies on D. That's insane. Surprised you don't see that.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I can guarantee the Oilers will miss next year, and then the year after that, and then the year after that they'll come really CLOSE, but the year after that they'll miss by a long-shot.

It's all in the Oilers Management Playbook, we just need to keep sticking to this 35 year plan, people.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Actually Bouchard's ELC is eligible to slide another season if he is in the AHL and does not get 10 NHL games next season. While the season will count as a professional season and could impact his expansion status, it would essentially be a 'free season' on his ELC. In essence, it's a 4-year ELC.

It's not common for CHL players, but it happens when the conditions are met. Bouchard is currently in his 4th OHL season so he 'graduates' out next season, he is a '99 born so he will be 20 next season before the new year, signed his ELC when he was 18 so eligible to slide twice.

Ryan Pulock was in the same situation. Same with Mantha and I think Shinkaruk in recent years.

Vegas expansion required Pulock to be protected despite still having 2 ELC seasons left, he had 2 professional seasons already since the AHL does count. I think Bouchard would be exempt for Seattle expansion so that isn't an issue here, but that's assuming the rules are the same this time around.

Good call. I forgot he was in that weird loopholeish situation.

19 year olds who turn 20 between Sept15 and Dec31 aren't eligible to slide if they sign their ELC as a 19 year old, but they are eligible if they sign their ELC as an 18 year old.

Doesn't really make much sense.

Dooman

Mar 8, 2006

When quoting someone, you should look at who THEY were quoting/responding to. You took it entirely out of context.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Canucks obviously made a mistake with this player, something we've done countless times. That's on them, not Gagner, he looks good here.

Sometimes teams on rebuilds just get fixated on prospects, development players, and futures and so that a vet like Gagner can be outside their interests and planning. These can become forgotten players that play second fiddle to other players. Nucks wouldn't be the only team doing this and its fairly commonplace today.

I think its the wrong strategy and that teams need a mix of vets. Basically what Gagner is today is a player with comparable skill set to what he had, a bit slower, a bit stronger, harder on the puck, and significantly one that is better without the puck now.

In most hockey eras experience would be seen as a positive. But theres been this trend to go with more younger players. Could be cap specific sometimes as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Gagner trade was great. Why we got Spooner in the first place is baffling but Spooner for Gagner was a good trade.

Its so good of a trade that even Ryan Strome for Sam Gagner would be completely acceptable, and probably a win trade. I wouldn't go as far as to say Gagner ever on par with Eberle but at this moment in time Jordan isn't doing a lot.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I've been as hard on Gagner as anybody since his rookie season but for anybody to claim he's not a better option in our top 6 than anybody we started the year with is in denial. Without major upgrades, which would take divine intervention, he'll be on the team next year.

He isn't in our top 6 now. Why would he be next year.

Am I the only that noticed his rather quick demotion despite being relatively productive?

He has been more good than bad so far but that is not going to last. Gagner is a player with few nhl skills and is not exactly reknown for his hockey IQ.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Am I the only that noticed his rather quick demotion despite being relatively productive?

He has been more good than bad so far but that is not going to last. Gagner is a player with few nhl skills and is not exactly reknown for his hockey IQ.

It shows how sad the Oilers forward talent level is when he can just come on up from the AHL and outplay basically the entire forward group aside from the 3Cs.

There's very little creativity or talent within this forward group whatsoever.

Reactions: MikeYEG

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I still dont get why people keep penciling JP in on the 4th line. He's either in the AHL to start the year, the top 6, or he's on another team.

I had him 4th line as more of a spot to dump him than where I personally would put him.

He isn't waiver exempt next year. He will be on the team coming off an injury with a rather terrible year this year. As much a fan as I am, 4th line is where he currently slots...

I would like to see him stapled to McDavid next year personally.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
JP is either in the nhl on our team or another team.

He won’t goto the AHL

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018

I thought they moved him to the 4th line so it could be used as a third a scoring line.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
"For purposes of Regular Waivers, the five year exemption for an 18 year old skater and the four year exemption for a 19 year old skater shall both be reduced to three years commencing the first season that the 18 or 19 year old skater plays in eleven NHL Games or more. The next two seasons, regardless of whether the skater plays any NHL Games in either season, shall count as the second and third years toward satisfying the exemption."

Basically Jesse would have more games if he had played less than 11 games in his first year here, but now it's just 3 seasons.
So needs waivers next season.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
It seems that some people have soured a bit on Bouchard? Is it just because of the WJC at Christmas? From watching him in preseason, even though you could tell he wasnt ready for this level it seemed pretty evident that he was going to be top 4 (maybe top 2) defenseman in this league in a few years.

I havent watched any Knight games. I do stat watch a bit and Bouchard seems very productive/impactful. Is there any reason to be worried about this prospect or is it eastern media hating on the Oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad