Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: Scoring like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Hughes is playing college. He's also incredibly dynamic, one of the best skating D prospects in years.

It's going to be amazing to watch, they'll sell you the whole seat, but you'll only need the edge. Either because he just wowed you offensively, or is giving you anxiety about DZ coverage.

Pretty spot on. I think as well, @OilerTitanFan , Hughes had a pretty impressive World Jr's. That, and Pettersen's immediate success, plays a lot into the belief by casual fans that Hughes is going to join the Canucks next year and be stellar. I expect he'll have a rookie season not unlike Justin Schultz, maybe with more sheltering, if he sticks. He'd develop better if he got to play in the AHL and was forced to be 'the guy' on defence and actually play defensively, but he can probably also survive as a bottom pairing offensive guy right now...kind of like Bouchard.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
What would have happened if the canucks picked Bouchard while we get Quinn Hughes? Would fans here say the same and want Hughes to go to the minors? The vancouver media is hyping him a lot in anticipation of his debut? Why is it that Hughes is NHL ready while Bouchard isn't? I don't see why a tiny player like Hughes can fare better than Bouchard. I say we start him in the nhl next season.
Rushing prospects to the NHL is an Edmonton MO. Doing it because other teams are doing it is even more Oileresque.

Just, no. If Bouchard starts the year on this team I'm going to smash my head against a brick wall until I start cheering for another team.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Bouchard’s more nhl ready than Hughes. Vancouver fans are just excited about Hughes and overhyping him.
Team 1040 in Vancouver feels like Hughes is ready to take the big step. He's supposedly the greatest Canuck D prospect of all time. That's what they are saying. They said nobody has his speed, his vision, IQ, etc........making it sound like second coming of Scott Niedermayer or something. If this is the case, I guess we got ourselves the next Chris Pronger.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Pretty spot on. I think as well, @OilerTitanFan , Hughes had a pretty impressive World Jr's. That, and Pettersen's immediate success, plays a lot into the belief by casual fans that Hughes is going to join the Canucks next year and be stellar. I expect he'll have a rookie season not unlike Justin Schultz, maybe with more sheltering, if he sticks. He'd develop better if he got to play in the AHL and was forced to be 'the guy' on defence and actually play defensively, but he can probably also survive as a bottom pairing offensive guy right now...kind of like Bouchard.
So let's assume Hughes and Bouchard were both available at where we were drafting last year, who would we be picking here? Is it still Bouchard? Or Hughes? There's no telling how these D will develop. If we picked Sergachev a few years ago, would we have kept him in the minors? Montreal and Tbay did not do so.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
So let's assume Hughes and Bouchard were both available at where we were drafting last year, who would we be picking here? Is it still Bouchard? Or Hughes? There's no telling how these D will develop. If we picked Sergachev a few years ago, would we have kept him in the minors? Montreal and Tbay did not do so.

Bouchard imo. He's the prototype of what this organization needs. A dman who can QB a pp and breakout McDavid

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Can't speak for the team but I know I'd have taken Bouchard over Hughes myself.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Can't lie, I'd take Hughes over Bouch. I love Bouchard, but the offensive dynamism of Hughes is too good to pass up.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Hughes and it wouldn't be close for me.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The better player is a wash, but Bouchard is clearly the better fit on this team IMO. We have forwards that can enter the zone already (what Hughes specializes in) but no defensemen that actually get them the puck (Bouchard's strength). Hughes is a better skater and has better hands, but Bouchard's passing and shot are superior, two assets that this team desperately needs. Bouchard being right-handed is the cherry on top.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

and herein lies the problem. with the Oilers history of "rushing" prospects, every 1st rounder we immediately put in the lineup will automatically be rushed and that's not fair and Sergachev is a good example of a very young player being pretty much ready for the NHL. in some cases they really don't have to automatically go to the minors in order to be NHL ready, some are ready right away.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Can't lie, I'd take Hughes over Bouch. I love Bouchard, but the offensive dynamism of Hughes is too good to pass up.
Oilers never had a chance to pass up on Hughes. Besides Samorukov is looking like a gem. Might actually be our best D prospect

Reactions: B33K33PING

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I said last year that Hughes will be the best defenseman from the 2018 draft, but we had no chance at him anyways

I really hope they start Bouchard in the AHL, even if its for half the season

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Bouchard, to this point, has shown more "offensive dynamism" than Hughes.

His scoring has been more impressive

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Bouchard, to this point, has shown more "offensive dynamism" than Hughes.

His scoring has been more impressive
Hughes is a dynamic skater though...he's almost like a rover out there joining the rush while able to get back on defense

he's perfectly suited for the "new NHL"

Bouchard IMO is more of a "classic" offensive defenseman...need to work on his skating a bit but might be the best passer of that draft and possess a heavy shot

Reactions: 780il

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hughes is a dynamic skater though...he's almost like a rover out there joining the rush while able to get back on defense

Bouchard IMO is more of a "classic" offensive defenseman...need to work on his skating a bit but might be the best passer of that draft and possess a heavy shot
Watching last game a threat to score from an open point shot is exactly what the Oilers need. The Devils just left the points wide open and the Oilers defense spent the game missing the net or shooting a softie into the goalie.

Reactions: Aerrol

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Being an outstanding skater doesn't make you offensively dynamic tho.

Look at Sam Girard and Victor Mete

Reactions: Llamamoto

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
time will tell if he can put up big numbers, but he did lead Michigan in scoring...as a defenseman

all I'm saying is that he has the skills that translate in the new NHL
If Hughes didn't have a muffin of a shot, then I would certainly take Hughes over Bouchard for the Oilers.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Hughes the only problem was the shot. He could become Scott Niedermayer for sure. That's the dream.

Knights got beat by a crazy hot Guelph team last night, but from a twitter review, looks like Bouchard had a nice play breaking up a partial breakaway without taking a penalty, and had coincidental minors with a Guelph forward where he felt the guy's stick got up.

That's the kind of stuff I'm interesting in hearing about, I have no questions about his ability to run a PP.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think London will go out early this year. If they run into Guelph I don't think they make it past 4 games. Guelph has their number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad