Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: Scoring like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
And what makes you think he can't be like Samuel Girard and step right in?
The last 13 years of Oiler history should tell you that maybe a new approach to high draft picks should be taken. Until these prospects play so well in the AHL that they basically force you to call them up, the team needs to stop calling them up.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Guaranteeing that the Oilers will miss the playoffs next year.

I typically think the Oilers can make the playoffs every year. My rare optimism kicks in and I imagine player X having a career year.

Chiarelli really did some damage on his way out and we have a lot more holes to fill now than we did to start the year.

Combine that with a few standard injuries and I would be shocked if the are anywhere near the playoffs next year.

It's pretty disheartening to think that this year AND next year are write offs. I have a lot of optimism for the following year because of our prospects and how the cap will be higher but that a long ways off...

XXX McDavid Draisaitl
XXX Nuge XXX
Kharia Cave Kassian
Lucic Brodziach Puljujarvi

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Russell
Sekera Benning

Koskinen
XXX

I assume Reider and Rattie will not be qualified. The defense if healthy is fine but literally having only 1/2 a top 6 and a rather motley crew for the bottom 6 is just too much.

Plus the Oilers have to find a strong backup for Koskinen.

Not cool.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I typically think the Oilers can make the playoffs every year. My rare optimism kicks in and I imagine player X having a career year.

Chiarelli really did some damage on his way out and we have a lot more holes to fill now than we did to start the year.

Combine that with a few standard injuries and I would be shocked if the are anywhere near the playoffs next year.

It's pretty disheartening to think that this year AND next year are write offs. I have a lot of optimism for the following year because of our prospects and how the cap will be higher but that a long ways off...

XXX McDavid Draisaitl
XXX Nuge XXX
Kharia Cave Kassian

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Russell
Sekera Benning

Koskinen
XXX

I assume Reider and Rattie will not be qualified. The defense if healthy is fine but literally having only 1/2 a top 6 and a rather motley crew for the bottom 6 is just too much.

Not cool.
You forgot “PR” stunt Gagner. Or do you expect him to be waived?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Just having Gagner, Sekera For the entire season next year if we bring them back instantly makes this a better team by at least 10 points. In other words an 88 to 90 point team.

Throw in a decent 20 goal fast skating aggressive winger in the top 10 and the Oilers are easily a playoff team.

The goal is not to be a playoff team but rather a good team heading into the playoffs. Need that puck moving stud.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Just having Gagner, Sekera For the entire season next year if we bring them back instantly makes this a better team by at least 10 points. In other words an 88 to 90 point team.

Throw in a decent 20 goal fast skating aggressive winger in the top 10 and the Oilers are easily a playoff team.

The goal is not to be a playoff team but rather a good team heading into the playoffs. Need that puck moving stud.
They are a couple 20 goal wingers away from a 100 point team , the lack of wingers is what killed this team this seaosn

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think you hit every nail on the head with your comments except I am almost positive he is AHL eligible because he’s already wrapping up his 4th year of junior.

I agree.
I was just going to post the same type of response.

Good post by @thadd

I would just add that Bouchard is such a smart player that he may be able to improve his game quickly enough to be in the NHL next season.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You forgot “PR” stunt Gagner. Or do you expect him to be waived?

Gagner will be in the AHL next year for the majority of the year. Just like he was this year even on a team as bad as the Oilers. Not an nhl player imo.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Nope. No more sliding.

Actually Bouchard's ELC is eligible to slide another season if he is in the AHL and does not get 10 NHL games next season. While the season will count as a professional season and could impact his expansion status, it would essentially be a 'free season' on his ELC. In essence, it's a 4-year ELC.

It's not common for CHL players, but it happens when the conditions are met. Bouchard is currently in his 4th OHL season so he 'graduates' out next season, he is a '99 born so he will be 20 next season before the new year, signed his ELC when he was 18 so eligible to slide twice.

Ryan Pulock was in the same situation. Same with Mantha and I think Shinkaruk in recent years.

Vegas expansion required Pulock to be protected despite still having 2 ELC seasons left, he had 2 professional seasons already since the AHL does count. I think Bouchard would be exempt for Seattle expansion so that isn't an issue here, but that's assuming the rules are the same this time around.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I've been as hard on Gagner as anybody since his rookie season but for anybody to claim he's not a better option in our top 6 than anybody we started the year with is in denial. Without major upgrades, which would take divine intervention, he'll be on the team next year.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
XXX McDavid Draisaitl
XXX Nuge XXX
Kharia Cave Kassian

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Russell
Sekera Benning

Koskinen
XXX

Barring trades, I think Bouchard could rotate with Jones, Bear, and other worthy call ups, for the 7th spot, hopefully on merit.

It would probably be good for them to get a few games here and there.

XXX McDavid Draisaitl
Gagner Nuge XXX
Kharia(RFA) Cave Kassian
Lucic Brodziach Puljujarvi(RFA)

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Russell
Sekera Benning
Bouchard/Jones/Bear

Koskinen
XXX

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

XXX McDavid Draisaitl
XXX Nuge XXX
Kharia Cave Kassian

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Russell
Sekera Benning

Koskinen
XXX

Not cool.

Can’t have Puju on 4th line. It just won’t work

Reactions: ujju2

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Gagner will be in the AHL next year for the majority of the year. Just like he was this year even on a team as bad as the Oilers. Not an nhl player imo.
The Canucks obviously made a mistake with this player, something we've done countless times. That's on them, not Gagner, he looks good here.

Reactions: ujju2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Canucks obviously made a mistake with this player, something we've done countless times. That's on them, not Gagner, he looks good here.
Even listening to Gagner he was a little shocked why he was getting treated the way he was. He thought he was playing decent hockey when he was playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad