Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: Scoring like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I did, but would anyone be surprised if it was really the NHL?
I absolutely would be surprised. The current thought in the org is they FINALLY realized they rush prospects too much and want them to develop well in the AHL first. It's why Jones only got a small stretch of games, Bear was never called up either. All our callups outside of Pulju ended up being older guys who are what they are. The only way Bouchard starts the year in the NHL is if he comes into camp and makes it impossible to send him down. And even then, depending on our coach, might still end up being sent down ala Draisaitl.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I absolutely would be surprised. The current thought in the org is they FINALLY realized they rush prospects too much and want them to develop well in the AHL first. It's why Jones only got a small stretch of games, Bear was never called up either. All our callups outside of Pulju ended up being older guys who are what they are. The only way Bouchard starts the year in the NHL is if he comes into camp and makes it impossible to send him down. And even then, depending on our coach, might still end up being sent down ala Draisaitl.
What the org says and what it does don't always match up. There's too many old ideas in that front office for me to be fully convinced that they'll overripen Bouchard or whatever term they want to use. And they're desperate for offense on the blue line...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What the org says and what it does don't always match up. There's too many old ideas in that front office for me to be fully convinced that they'll overripen Bouchard or whatever term they want to use. And they're desperate for offense on the blue line...
They are desperate. Jones, Lagesson, Bear and Persson will all get a shot next year. Persson and Bear are both good offensive defenders if they don't want to rush Bouchard.
Yes there are a lot of old ideas but they have never once in their history said they need to change how they treat and deal with prospects. I'll believe they are changing that part until they prove me otherwise. Especially with Nurses break out offense this year, they may not need to rush Bouchard either, just need a good puck mover to supplement what they have.

Especially with how even Woodcroft eased Bouchard into their lineup last night by bringing him in as the 7th d and giving him limited minutes. They clearly do NOT want to mess him up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If he comes to camp and wrecks **** he should start with the big club. He could always be sent back down or get a few nights in the PB if he struggles a bit. We just can't Puljujarvi him by keeping him up for 40+ games and then doing the same the next season when he's struggling.

The Flames had a lot of rookie/young D in the league this year and had a very good regular season. I could see 2-3 rookies on our blueline if we can shed some cap back there.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
If he comes to camp and wrecks **** he should start with the big club. He could always be sent back down or get a few nights in the PB if he struggles a bit. We just can't Puljujarvi him by keeping him up for 40+ games and then doing the same the next season when he's struggling.

The Flames had a lot of rookie/young D in the league this year and had a very good regular season. I could see 2-3 rookies on our blueline if we can shed some cap back there.

the thing is, if we leave him in the AHL next year it wont count against his elc. Meaning the 2020-2021 season is the one where his 3 year deal starts

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

The Flames have elder statesman to handle the load. One being a Norris Trophy candidate. Oilers have nothing like that. The young players are Hanifin? The others were lucky to see 30 games.

If they dress 2-3 rookies on the D then I guess another bottom 5 finish is OK. Build up some more talent.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

We would need a Giordano like defender first though. With our current top 4 they can't handle the weight to shelter rookies enough

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The Flames have elder statesman to handle the load. One being a Norris Trophy candidate. Oilers have nothing like that. The young players are Hanifin? The others were lucky to see 30 games.

If they dress 2-3 rookies on the D then I guess another bottom 5 finish is OK. Build up some more talent.
Again, they'll possibly be traded to get rid of contracts and get more immediate help, so there's little reason to stress about ruined prospects that are expected

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
the thing is, if we leave him in the AHL next year it wont count against his elc. Meaning the 2020-2021 season is the one where his 3 year deal starts

Sure about that? As soon as he plays pro hockey his contract starts.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Bouchard could certainly make the Oilers roster next year. I actually want to see 2-3 new faces on the blueline, with Larsson and Russell moved out for more speed and offense. I have no qualms with keeping Larsson for another year and having Bouchard on the farm to develop, but if you can swing a trade like Larsson for Nazim Kadri or Nik Ehlers, you have to strongly consider making that deal (I wouldn't offer more than Larsson for either of those forwards by the way, if the Jets and Leafs can find a better deal, be my guest).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We would need a Giordano like defender first though. With our current top 4 they can't handle the weight to shelter rookies enough

We really don't, we have a veteran laden D group and playing say Bouchard with Sekera would really elevate his game.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Blasphemy!

I loved Seinfeld. :)
gYgj3GA.gif

;)

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I've heard people give the take of, "let the best player win the job, no matter what". Which seems rather surface level, because if you're a GM you have to strategize how you manage your assets.

What if Bouchard is better than both Bear & Persson, but not by a substantial margin?
  • First off, Bear & Persson have one year of waiver exemption remaining. I'd prefer to give them the nod and see what we have in them before we have to make tough decisions when they lose waiver exemption status.
  • Secondly, the future benefits of having Bouchard playing on an ELC during his draft+3, 4, and 5 years will be a huge bargain.

Reactions: McCanovin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia