Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: Scoring like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I find it funny that this really is a serious discussion. The only reason it is because of Bob's comments about keeping prospects down.

I firmly believe Bouchard could have stayed in the nhl on the bottom pairing and used on the PP last year and done well. His going back to junior had more to do with contract status and the expansion draft.

I also believe the NHL is the best place for him and the team next year.

Having said that if he spends one... and only one year in the AHL with the usual 5 to 9 game trial plus later the call up for injury. That is fine too.

I don't see the ahl time being THAT important but it certainly shouldn't hurt his development either.

He lead the ohl playoffs with 21 points in 11 games. If he continues to do well in the ahl playoffs. Does well in training camp. Does well in preseason. Earns 5+ nhl games and does well in that... How can you send him to the AHL? And if you do he gets called up asap.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I find it funny that this really is a serious discussion. The only reason it is because of Bob's comments about keeping prospects down.

I firmly believe Bouchard could have stayed in the nhl on the bottom pairing and used on the PP last year and done well. His going back to junior had more to do with contract status and the expansion draft.

Having said that if he spends one... and only one year in the AHL with the usual 5 to 9 game trial plus later the call up for injury. That is fine too.

I don't see the ahl time being THAT important but it certainly shouldn't hurt his development either.

He lead the ohl playoffs with 21 points in 11 games. If he continues to do well in the ahl playoffs. Does well in training camp. Does well in preseason. Earns 5+ nhl games and does well in that... How can you send him to the AHL? And if you do he gets called up asap.
I’d like to see him play the bulk of next season in the AHL. I also wouldn’t mind if he saw 20-25 nhl games throughout the year depending how it goes long term in Bakersfield.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I’d like to see him play the bulk of next season in the AHL. I also wouldn’t mind if he saw 20-25 nhl games throughout the year depending how it goes long term in Bakersfield.
If we're doing that id rather just play under 9 and let his ELC slide again.

Reactions: Aerchon

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If we're doing that id rather just play under 9 and let his ELC slide again.
Depends how it goes. If we have a bunch of injuries back there and he’s dominating it’s tough not too call him up. If we can afford to keep him below 9 games that means our D had a hell of a year so I hope that’s what happens but I have doubts.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I'm pretty sure everything being said about Bouchard right now was said about Draisaitl. People saw Bakersfield as the correct city for Draisaitl and only the Oilers lack of real NHL players would make him a valid NHL option. Draisaitl didn't even show anything in the AHL before Eberle's injury forced a recall. I'm not saying that he'll progress like Draisaitl but this isn't a video game where you can beat a level the same way every time you play.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

That's what we wish was the case, but there was a report/news story that said the only reason Bouchard was sent down was because Todd wasn't playing him.

Chia made a good choice, but not for the reasons you listed. He just wasn't smart enough for that.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I'm also of the belief that he could have done fine on the bottom pair with PP time this past season. He was easily our best puck mover on the breakout and on the PP in his short time up here. He kept his head above water defensively and imo would have done more good than bad on the bottom pair. I also felt like he got better with each game before getting sent down.

I think there's a good chance he's ready for the NHL and should be up to start the year, but obviously he has to prove that in training camp. I really don't feel that the AHL will teach him anything that the NHL won't. Low pressure role on the bottom pair is a good way for him to learn to defend, not against AHLers where the speed of the game is much much slower. The chaotic lack of structure in the AHL also isn't any better in teaching a young D to defend better. Learning to play in a structured approach to defence at the NHL level will help just as much with that. Really the only argument I can see is that the NHL may hurt his confidence if he's getting blown by or blowing assignments constantly that end up in the back of the net. If that's the case then send him down, but I think you can shelter him just fine on the bottom pair to build up his defensive confidence.

The thing that they shouldn't do is hand him a top 4 or top pair role after 10 good games like we seem to love to do with young D who are showing promise in a limited role. That's a big mistake this organization has made, and it is ultimately why Caleb Jones looked so poor by the end of his time with the big club this year. Let these young guys thrive in sheltered roles, and if you want to give them increased opportunity do it slowly and ideally on the PP or with offensive zone starts/at home when you can line match.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm also of the belief that he could have done fine on the bottom pair with PP time this past season. He was easily our best puck mover on the breakout and on the PP in his short time up here. He kept his head above water defensively and imo would have done more good than bad on the bottom pair. I also felt like he got better with each game before getting sent down.

I think there's a good chance he's ready for the NHL and should be up to start the year, but obviously he has to prove that in training camp. I really don't feel that the AHL will teach him anything that the NHL won't. Low pressure role on the bottom pair is a good way for him to learn to defend, not against AHLers where the speed of the game is much much slower. The chaotic lack of structure in the AHL also isn't any better in teaching a young D to defend better. Learning to play in a structured approach to defence at the NHL level will help just as much with that. Really the only argument I can see is that the NHL may hurt his confidence if he's getting blown by or blowing assignments constantly that end up in the back of the net. If that's the case then send him down, but I think you can shelter him just fine on the bottom pair to build up his defensive confidence.

The thing that they shouldn't do is hand him a top 4 or top pair role after 10 good games like we seem to love to do with young D who are showing promise in a limited role. That's a big mistake this organization has made, and it is ultimately why Caleb Jones looked so poor by the end of his time with the big club this year. Let these young guys thrive in sheltered roles, and if you want to give them increased opportunity do it slowly and ideally on the PP or with offensive zone starts/at home when you can line match

I agree with your post...especially the bolded.
My concern is if the Oilers have enough depth to play Bouvhard in a sheltered role.
Caleb Jones was doing great on the bottom pairing and then an injury happened...he was then moved up to high too fast and it impacted his development. thats my concern for Bouchard as well.

If the Oilers had 2 legit Right handed top 4 pairing dmen (or 4-5 solid top 4 dmen) than I would feel a lot more comfortable with Bouchard being given a sheltered role.
Being that they dont have a legit #1 (or even a #2 dman) they need to compensate with quality depth and thats something they just arent able to do.
That concerns me when it comes to Bouchard playing with the big team.
They absolutely have to develop Bochard properly...he is too important to this teams future.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Bangers

May 31, 2006

I'm ok with him spending the year in the NHL or in Bako depending on how he looks in training camp.

Honestly, it seems like ever since Gladwell came out with his book about 10,000 hours being the main requisite to mastery, every professional sport has adopted the 'play time is the be all and end all' mantra when the truth is that development in any field is a bit more nuanced than that.

If he can defend at the NHL level on the 3rd pairing, he should be in the NHL. If he's going to be a liability or he can't mentally handle the pressure, he should go to Bako.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

The thing that they shouldn't do is hand him a top 4 or top pair role after 10 good games like we seem to love to do with young D who are showing promise in a limited role. That's a big mistake this organization has made, and it is ultimately why Caleb Jones looked so poor by the end of his time with the big club this year. Let these young guys thrive in sheltered roles, and if you want to give them increased opportunity do it slowly and ideally on the PP or with offensive zone starts/at home when you can line match.

He certainly seemed to get better and better each nhl game I watched as well.

That aspect of his game (high IQ), and a background of being one of the highest scoring defensive prospects ever lends me to think he should be in the nhl sooner the better.

As mentioned, I don't mind him spending time in the ahl. I just think if it happens it shouldn't be much.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm ok with him spending the year in the NHL or in Bako depending on how he looks in training camp.

Honestly, it seems like ever since Gladwell came out with his book about 10,000 hours being the main requisite to mastery, every professional sport has adopted the 'play time is the be all and end all' mantra when the truth is that development in any field is a bit more nuanced than that.

If he can defend at the NHL level on the 3rd pairing, he should be in the NHL. If he's going to be a liability or he can't mentally handle the pressure, he should go to Bako.
I agree with this, there’s more than one way to develop a player, but if it’s clear he’s over his head in the NHL they can’t be afraid of sending him down.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
With Bouchard, Jones, Samurokov, Bear, etc I am pretty excited about our defensive prospects. We just need to stay patient and continue to develop these guys.

You have to be extremely impressed with the way Bouchard played in his first AHL playoff game. I think hes being really underrated. I think hes going to be a top pairing defenseman in a couple years.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
With Bouchard, Jones, Samurokov, Bear, etc I am pretty excited about our defensive prospects. We just need to stay patient and continue to develop these guys.

You have to be extremely impressed with the way Bouchard played in his first AHL playoff game. I think hes being really underrated. I think hes going to be a top pairing defenseman in a couple years.

He was played as the 7th dman, with PP time, most zone starts were in the offensive zone.
I think the coach put him in a position to succeed.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Well the defense around him will already be better then when Schultz was here, so support will exist.

And we won't be anointing him as a number one Norris calibre defender long before he's ready for that (if he even gets to that point).

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

Nobody denies that he's got a sick skills, but a lot of players can benefit from playing in the AHL.
He won't be able to play in all situations and learn from mistakes in all situations playing in the AHL.
That being said I think it would pretty hard to find someone in this thread who believes that there's anyone better than him at distributing the puck on the Oilers right now and that's something we need in spades.
I think it's fair to say that there's always the fear that next year's coach overplays him in situations he's not ready for and it should destroy/hinder his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad